Premed 101 Forums
McGillMedAmbassadors

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

5 hours ago, TomorrowsMD said:

I think any type of EC is perfectly ok. To be honest, what they are there for is to show that you have a passion about something and that you can tell them what it can help you with in the field of medicine. For example, you are in a debate team, well it will definitely help with critical thinking under pressure and communication. You can find the canmeds competency on Google to help you include the right keywords to put in the text to draw attention to your application.

The number of EC in the CV will depend on their importance for your application. I would say write everything on the CV, go over the limit of 2 pages and then go over everything and cut the least important everytime until you fit in the two pages. This will insure that you have the right number of EC and of everything else also. It doesn't matter if you write 3 lines of text or 8. As long as all the information is important for your application and to show canmeds competency I personally think it's ok. I know I have multiple lines of text per entry.

Also, while they are not Extracurricular activities per say, any research experience or clinical experience you can have (such as shadowing if you don't have any clinical experience from your job or internship from a university degree) will be a big plus because a lot of people have them. This is just my two cents.

A lot of people have clinical experience? Interesting, I thought it is quite difficult to shadow in Canada. I have clinical experience from nursing school practicums. Would you suggest I put it under work experience (even though I wasn't paid), or just under the skills section? 

2 hours ago, Premedstudent0307 said:

A lot of people have clinical experience? Interesting, I thought it is quite difficult to shadow in Canada. I have clinical experience from nursing school practicums. Would you suggest I put it under work experience (even though I wasn't paid), or just under the skills section? 

Not necessarily shadowing, i meant research, it is my fault. This is only from what I've seen from posts on the forum. I agree that less people have clinical experience, but a lot have research.

I myself come from nursing (BSc) so in my CV, specific internships are included in my work experience (even if not paid because you're doing the same job as a nurse - while i understand not as much work). It helped me land an interview last cycle before covid. I made sure to really show all the canmeds possible to show what i learned and what could help me in medicine!

Nursing is great because of all the clinical experience you easily get. It is also a professional degree which gives you a little boost in the academic context portion (7% of the 70% for Academic).

3 hours ago, TomorrowsMD said:

Not necessarily shadowing, i meant research, it is my fault. This is only from what I've seen from posts on the forum. I agree that less people have clinical experience, but a lot have research.

I myself come from nursing (BSc) so in my CV, specific internships are included in my work experience (even if not paid because you're doing the same job as a nurse - while i understand not as much work). It helped me land an interview last cycle before covid. I made sure to really show all the canmeds possible to show what i learned and what could help me in medicine!

Nursing is great because of all the clinical experience you easily get. It is also a professional degree which gives you a little boost in the academic context portion (7% of the 70% for Academic).

Oh I see what you mean. Awesome! thanks so much for the advice! :)

6 hours ago, TomorrowsMD said:

myself come from nursing (BSc) so in my CV, specific internships are included in my work experience (even if not paid because you're doing the same job as a nurse - while i understand not as much work).

By internships are you referring to clinicals (ie stages) required to do throughout your bachelor's? Curious to know because I am also a nursing student

8 minutes ago, ADoseOfLuck said:

By internships are you referring to clinicals (ie stages) required to do throughout your bachelor's? Curious to know because I am also a nursing student

Yes that is what I'm referring to. I personally used surgery (wich was also in peds), U-FMG, emergency and also emergency as CPNP/CEPI (not as a student).