Premed 101 Forums

Q&a With Mcgill Med Ambassadors

Hi, I was wondering if you had any rules of thumb for deciding whether or not an applicant should submit their MCAT scores? For reference, my cGPA is 3.71 and I'm applying as an in-province student. I've written the MCAT 3 times, and my most recent score is on the new MCAT version: 

Total: 518 (97%) with breakdown of 

CP: 130 (97%)

CARS: 129 (93%) 

B/B: 128 (87%) 

P/S: 131(98%)

I'm concerned with what McGill stated on its website "Competitive applicants tend not to have written the MCAT more than two times and have generally achieved a minimum overall numeric score of 30 (for 2014 version or earlier)." since this is my 3rd MCAT writing.

What are your thoughts? Would submitting my MCAT scores help my application?

There are no rules of thumb for this to be honest with you, but even though you have written the MCAT 3 times, your final score is extremely competitive, and we would submit your score if we were you. Good luck!

Dear Ambassadors,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Have a couple for you:

- Can a CEGEP course count towards the physiology component in the "Recommended Courses" section of the workbook? Not sure if CEGEP courses are considered to be "university level" courses, although U0s take similar courses.

- In the same vein, can an advanced, university-level physiology course (ex: 500) satisfy the requirement?

- Someone asked this question already in another thread and people offered their interpretations but maybe you guys have a concrete answer:

When they say "Candidates applying to the MDCM program who have completed the seven required prerequisite courses and who have also completed introductory level university courses in molecular biology, cell biology, mammalian physiology and organic chemistry will be evaluated on whichever of the two is the most favourable to the candidate.", do they mean a )  that either the avg GPA of the 7 prereqs OR  the avg GPA of the 4 univ level courses will be considered OR do they mean b ) they will look at the avg GPA of your 7 best classes (chosen from both the pre-req & recommended courses section)

Hope my questions are clear. Thank you guys very much.

We checked our answer with the faculty, here is the final reply from adcom:

"If a candidate has all seven prerequisite courses and also has the four recommended courses (BIO 200, 201, PHGY 209 and CHEM 212). If those four university level courses indicate a better performance then the candidate will be assessed on those courses. Keep in mind that the candidate must have all seven cégep-level prerequisites and all four 200-level prerequisites in order for this rule to apply. 

If a candidate has not done well on certain prerequisite courses and decides to retake them, we will always look at the better grades."

We checked our answer with the faculty, here is the final reply from adcom:

"If a candidate has all seven prerequisite courses and also has the four recommended courses (BIO 200, 201, PHGY 209 and CHEM 212). If those four university level courses indicate a better performance then the candidate will be assessed on those courses. Keep in mind that the candidate must have all seven cégep-level prerequisites and all four 200-level prerequisites in order for this rule to apply. 

If a candidate has not done well on certain prerequisite courses and decides to retake them, we will always look at the better grades."

I'm assuming this would apply to university level applicants as well?

Hi, I was wondering if you had any rules of thumb for deciding whether or not an applicant should submit their MCAT scores? For reference, my cGPA is 3.71 and I'm applying as an in-province student. I've written the MCAT 3 times, and my most recent score is on the new MCAT version: 

Total: 518 (97%) with breakdown of 

CP:130 (97%)

CARS: 129 (93%) 

B/B: 128 (87%) 

P/S: 131(98%)

I'm concerned with what McGill stated on its website "Competitive applicants tend not to have written the MCAT more than two times and have generally achieved a minimum overall numeric score of 30 (for 2014 version or earlier)." since this is my 3rd MCAT writing.

What are your thoughts? Would submitting my MCAT scores help my application?

I would submit.

I have a follow-up question regarding MCAT submission: is the overall composite score what is considered, or is it the breakdown of each individual section, with the science sections being weighed higher?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Extenuating Circumstances. A month before my last semester in my degree I broke my hand and required surgery. Once the cast was removed, I had very limited range of motion and required many physiotherapy sessions. It was really hard on my psychologically and affected my grades. That last semester I had a 3.3 gpa, where as the other semesters I had avg 3.8. I did receive help from OSD at McGill but I couldn't preform as well as I normally do. Should I claim this? Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Extenuating Circumstances. A month before my last semester in my degree I broke my hand and required surgery. Once the cast was removed, I had very limited range of motion and required many physiotherapy sessions. It was really hard on my psychologically and affected my grades. That last semester I had a 3.3 gpa, where as the other semesters I had avg 3.8. I did receive help from OSD at McGill but I couldn't preform as well as I normally do. Should I claim this? Thank you!

Nothing wrong with this idea IMO.

Hi everyone,

You definitely can, this is what the Extenuating Circumstances is there for! Good luck :)

I would submit.

I have a follow-up question regarding MCAT submission: is the overall composite score what is considered, or is it the breakdown of each individual section, with the science sections being weighed higher?

Your question is trickier for us to answer as we do not directly participate in the admissions process. Do email vesna.antwan@mcgill.ca. She should be able to answer your question or at least further direct you in the right direction! Do be aware that answers might not arrive as fast you might expect; with the application deadlines and the open house coming, the adcom is a bit swamped at this moment in the year.

Hi Ambassadors,

I had some questions about entering courses in the workbook that maybe you guys could answer.

1. If I undergrad school awarded credit for AP scores from high school, is this something we list on courses and simple just put no grade?

2. For credit course under the post secondary school section, are the asking for the total credits you have from the school or just the number needed to graduate? How does it work if we were on semester/quarter credits?

3. If we took a summer session class from one school that was transferred to our undergrad do we still list the course name and grade like we do with study abroad classes?

Thank you! Any feedback is much appreciated!

Hi Ambassadors,

I had some questions about entering courses in the workbook that maybe you guys could answer.

1. If I undergrad school awarded credit for AP scores from high school, is this something we list on courses and simple just put no grade?

2. For credit course under the post secondary school section, are the asking for the total credits you have from the school or just the number needed to graduate? How does it work if we were on semester/quarter credits?

3. If we took a summer session class from one school that was transferred to our undergrad do we still list the course name and grade like we do with study abroad classes?

Thank you! Any feedback is much appreciated!

These questions are best answered if you were to direct them to the adcom: aed.med@mcgill.ca

It is a busy time at the office right now due to application deadlines; please do try to be patient when waiting for the answer! Thanks!

Good luck!

Hi Ambassadors,

I've got a couple of issues with my workbook. 

My case is quite particular. I've got a bachelor and master degree,but I've started a second bachelor this semester.

My issues are for section 2. For the cegep, the feedback says the dates don't make sense. I've put 08/2008 to 05/2010. Also, what credit count are you giving to a cegep program. 

For my first bachelor, it says end date after July 2016 when I've written 2013. Is it the way I enter them the problem or something else.

Obviously, I've got the same note for my second bachelor. But, it is true in this case. I'll stop this program when accepted.

In the summary, it tells that my admission degree is my second one (nutrition) so it's not able to calculate a GPA.

Hi Ambassadors,

I've got a couple of issues with my workbook. 

My case is quite particular. I've got a bachelor and master degree,but I've started a second bachelor this semester.

My issues are for section 2. For the cegep, the feedback says the dates don't make sense. I've put 08/2008 to 05/2010. Also, what credit count are you giving to a cegep program. 

For my first bachelor, it says end date after July 2016 when I've written 2013. Is it the way I enter them the problem or something else.

Obviously, I've got the same note for my second bachelor. But, it is true in this case. I'll stop this program when accepted.

In the summary, it tells that my admission degree is my second one (nutrition) so it's not able to calculate a GPA.

Hi there, unfortunately we're unable to answer your question since we don't have access to these application forms. Please direct them to aed.med@mcgill.ca. They will certainly be able to guide you. Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi Ambassadors,

I'm currently taking my last basic science prerequisite and I've applied this November 2nd. From what I read from the admissions website, the outstanding basic science prerequisites need to completed before January 15th. Now, when I get my grade (Physics E&M in this case) how do I go about letting the admissions office know that I've recieved it? Do I send them an email with the transcript? re-upload the new transcript on Minerva? or... not sure.

Thanks.

Hi Ambassadors,

I'm currently taking my last basic science prerequisite and I've applied this November 2nd. From what I read from the admissions website, the outstanding basic science prerequisites need to completed before January 15th. Now, when I get my grade (Physics E&M in this case) how do I go about letting the admissions office know that I've recieved it? Do I send them an email with the transcript? re-upload the new transcript on Minerva? or... not sure.

Thanks.

Students with no more than 2 outstanding science prerequisite courses must complete the outstanding courses and send the admissions office unofficial transcripts by email (aed.med@mcgill.ca) with grades for those courses no later than Jan 15, 2016.

All applicants admitted to the MDCM program are required to submit final official (paper) transcripts to the admissions office.

For McGilll applicants, admissions has access to their grades directly through Minerva so official copies are not required.

Hope this helps! If not, please let us know.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ambassadors, 

I took three and four courses for a few semesters. I was wondering whether an algorithm will automatically cut me as a prospect? I read that some successful matriculants took four courses in a few semester and of course still got in, however I have not read any cases of successful applicants with any less. Also, if I contact McGill admissions and ask, will they release info as to what was particularly weak in my application if I get rejected pre-interview?

Thanks!! 

Hi Ambassadors, 

I took three and four courses for a few semesters. I was wondering whether an algorithm will automatically cut me as a prospect? I read that some successful matriculants took four courses in a few semester and of course still got in, however I have not read any cases of successful applicants with any less. Also, if I contact McGill admissions and ask, will they release info as to what was particularly weak in my application if I get rejected pre-interview?

Thanks!! 

I don't think any student would be able to accurately answer you. Anyone who actually would be able to answer you accurately probably wouldn't be allowed to do so.

I do know that some students ask for feedback post rejection, and can then get to know the weaker parts of their application from the adcom.

In the meantime, I don't think emailing the adcom office would be of any use as their hands are pretty full because of 1- holidays 2- they're busy ranking candidates of this current cycle 3- CEGEP applicants upcoming

Are you in the applicants pool of this cycle? If so, I hope everything goes well, and if you get unfortunately rejected, wait till around April-May when CEGEP students' results are out. By then, the adcom would probably be less rouchy and approachable to answer this kind of things.

Good luck to ya.

Hi Ambassadors,

Thanks!!

From experience, I'm not sure how much they will tell you. I asked a similar question (I believe it was whether two semesters at 12 credits would impact my chances), and the answer was vague. Something like "we expect all candidates to demonstrate they can handle a rigorous academic curriculum." I ended up doing 15 credits because I didn't like that answer.

My reading of this is that they likely prefer a full course load, but if they really like your application, you might be okay. If your GPA is high and you have an otherwise excellent application, at the very least they don't have explicit criteria against your case.

From experience, I'm not sure how much they will tell you. I asked a similar question (I believe it was whether two semesters at 12 credits would impact my chances), and the answer was vague. Something like "we expect all candidates to demonstrate they can handle a rigorous academic curriculum." I ended up doing 15 credits because I didn't like that answer.

My reading of this is that they likely prefer a full course load, but if they really like your application, you might be okay. If your GPA is high and you have an otherwise excellent application, at the very least they don't have explicit criteria against your case.

Isn't 12 credits still considered full time tho?

Isn't 12 credits still considered full time tho?

Yes, for student status, though the definition of full course load varies in terms of how medical schools view this. Many schools use a 15 credit per semester (5 full courses) system, though not all of course. I'm working off memory here, but I believe at some point McGill was explicit about wanting 5 courses per semester... They no longer have this explicit requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I reviewed my application and documentation status today and it said that there was a problem with my Proof of Citizenship/Perm Res requirement. I resubmitted my stuff but am really worried that its too late and my application wont be considered. Will I still be considered?

All applicants must confirm their residency and the admissions office is currently conducting verifications. If you have concerns, you should contact admissions.med@mcgill.ca. However, if you have filled out all the residency documents correctly then there is no need to worry. 

Hi Ambassadors, 

Thanks!! 

Taking 3-4 courses in certain semesters will not take candidates out of the running at this stage of the process. Typically people with this profile have extenuating circumstances, but the adcom also understands that certain programs are structured in a way that doesn't always allow for a full course load. You can always try to contact the adcom and ask nicely (after the whole process, not now), the worst answer you'll get is a no for info release!