Premed 101 Forums

Interesting Ottawa Stats

I went to the interview thread last year for a brief look at who got interviews or not and this what I found

3.94 GPA or higher:

Received interviews: 33

Did not receive interviews: 7

3.93 GPA or lower:

Received interviews: 8

Did not receive interview: 20

N=68

Odds ratio: 10.48*

Interpretation of odds ratio: 1048% increased odds of receiving an interview if you have a 3.94 or higher GPA

* p < 0.0001 

Limitations:

- drawn from the entire set of applicants and does not take into account geographical status or applicant streamt

- biased sample with a preference to over-reporting of invitation than rejection

- be aware that GPA is actually assessed on a spectrum (therefore there is actually a minimal difference between a 3.93 and a 3.94 but this is an arbitrary cutoff point)

Conclusions:

- as no surprise, a high GPA is suggestive of who will receive an interview or not for uOttawa Medicine, but take this with a grain of salt as the sample size is highly limited and I do not have any nuanced statistical competency

Or a biased sample of overachieving premeds…..

It's possible to get an interview under 3.9….a lot of people just don't post it on a forum like the 3.9+ range applicant..

Yep, I listed those people. There were 8 people in the thread last year. 

I'm talking about odds though.

Also look at the limitations section. 

I went to the interview thread last year for a brief look at who got interviews or not and this what I found

3.94 GPA or higher:

Received interviews: 33

Did not receive interviews: 7

3.93 GPA or lower:

Received interviews: 8

Did not receive interview: 20

N=68

Odds ratio: 10.48*

Interpretation of odds ratio: 1048% increased odds of receiving an interview if you have a 3.94 or higher GPA

* p < 0.0001 

Limitations:

- drawn from the entire set of applicants and does not take into account geographical status or applicant streamt

- biased sample with a preference to over-reporting of invitation than rejection

- be aware that GPA is actually assessed on a spectrum (therefore there is actually a minimal difference between a 3.93 and a 3.94 but this is an arbitrary cutoff point)

Conclusions:

- as no surprise, a high GPA is highly indicative of who will receive an interview or not for uOttawa Medicine

In this day and age, where everyone has access to the internet and social media, people should know exactly what programs to go to for the high marks, and avoid challenging schools (Toronto) or challenging programs (Engineering).  Obviously not everyone can get into MAC health sci - but bird universities like brock and guelph exist, bird programs can be found in most universities, one can complain to professors instead of being passive, one can get a hold of a massive collection of old exams, and one can also work a bit harder.  Unless an MCAT is used, honestly a GPA less than 3.93 is pretty poor these days and probably does not deserve an interview at a place like Ottawa or Toronto.  And it seems that they recognize that.

Guelph is not a bird university. Some programs at Guelph may be easy, but it also has some very difficult programs. Just like any other university. The one advantage Guelph has is that profs are not allowed to grade on a curve. Which is nice with all the pre-vet keeners at Guelph.

I've taken undergraduate courses at Guelph, Toronto, Waterloo, Athabasca, Carleton and TRU. (I took a bunch of courses as a non-degree student when working full time, as I like learning). I didn't find the courses at any of those universities particularly harder or easier than any of the others.

I'm sorry that this post was interpreted by some to mean that 3.94+ GPA is the only accurate predictor of who will receive an interview and those below are doomed to failure. I merely intended to investigate claims that a 3.94+ GPA at Ottawa will go a long way for an interview and report them.

Leave the bashing of programs and the minimization of people's efforts aside please.

Besides, uwopremed is a known troll, and he is actually less subtle this time than in past times - "one can complain to professors instead of remaining passive"... I would not bite too much on what he says.

I'm sorry that this post was interpreted by some to mean that 3.94+ GPA is the only accurate predictor of who will receive an interview and those below are doomed to failure. I merely intended to investigate claims that a 3.94+ GPA at Ottawa will go a long way for an interview and report them.

Leave the bashing of programs and the minimization of people's efforts aside please.

Besides, uwopremed is a known troll, and he is actually less subtle this time than in past times - "one can complain to professors instead of remaining passive"... I would not bite too much on what he says.

You basically suggested that less than 3.93 is a poor gpa - if not in your exact wording.

For Ottawa, and for Toronto (mainly Toronto), an aGPA less than 3.93 does lead to a very poor chance.  The average aGPA fro Toronto last year was 3.94 - TAKING INTO ACCOUNT GRADUATE STUDENTS (with often much lower GPAs).  For those without graduate school - virtually everyone is at or above 3.95.  Ottawa is also absolutely full of 3.95-4.00 GPAs (at least for those outside the Ottawa area or non-Francophone).  Stating these obvious facts does not make one a troll.

And it's not as if GPAs above 3.95 are rare.  They are a dime a dozen - there are hundreds at each of the large universities (maybe exempting Toronto).  So yes - for a school that does not look at university/program difficulty and uses the MCAT as a flag (or not at all) - GPAs below 3.93 are poor.  And any kid looking into going one of those medical schools, and having done the research, should know that, and formulate a plan how to get that GPA .  And that involves finding the easy programs/universities, not being shy about getting boost marks from Profs (ie begging for an 88 ir 89 to turn into a 90) and so forth.  It's your future.  Getting into medical school can mean a career of 500K plus a year - not getting in - often a career earning 80K or less a year.  It's the difference between great cars, housing, and private schools for your kids, or barely scraping by (or having less opportunity for your kids).

It's the system we work within sadly.  Being all disingenuous about it is silly in my opinion.

No one cares about your opinion obviously, and you don't need to go and stomp all over the hopes of people that have worked really hard to 'earn 500k a year', if that's what you sum up a desire to be in medicine is based on.  We all know your priorities, apparently.

One of the problems with this forum is that sometimes the posts are too filtered with lovey dovey stuff that doesn't offer genuine value, while the hated posts sometimes unfiltered opinions that have kernels of truth to them.  So maybe you think no one finds my opinions worthwhile (and maybe most don't), but I am trying to be very honest about how I feel things are.  You don't have to agree with what I say, and you can be offended, but I think there is something valuable in what I offer.  The way I think is not in the minority I believe, but I think few publicly express these views.  Even in an anonymous (sort of) forum.

I've shared an experience of being rejected despite strong stats last year.  I've learned a lot in the process.  And there are several things that I think are important.  The top motivations for a career in medicine are money and prestige.  Popularity of all jobs/careers is basically based on that.  When the banking industry was incredibly strong and stable pre 2008 - medicine was still competitive but a little less so (as bright kids looked to become investment bankers).  When dentistry paid quite a bit less in Ontario 20 years ago, dentistry was relatively easy to get into. Now that some groups of dentists make mad money, it is brutally competitive.  There is a reason why plastics and ophthalmology are the most competitive specialties (it's the money), and psychiatry and neurology are not that competitive (much much less money).  The most competitive internal subspecialties (cardiology, nephrology) also make the mot money.  The ones that pay the least (rheum, endocrine) are easy to get into.   Of course everyone individually denies it - but they are lying.  Cut ophthalmology pay by 75% - it will be a lot easier to get into.  Triple psychiatry pay - CaRMS will be jam packed with applicants.  

Anyways...if you don't like my posts, block me.

Hey Florence - it does include all type of applicants. The GPA requirements are not as extensive for Francophone/Aboriginal applicants as well as those applying from the Ottawa region.

Please don't feel despair at all; also, read the limitation! the 3.93 cutoff was an arbitrary line to demonstrate my point.

Jumping from a 3.93 to a 3.94 will not severely increase your chances. Think of this as a spectrum.

Hey Florence - it does include all type of applicants. The GPA requirements are not as extensive for Francophone/Aboriginal applicants as well as those applying from the Ottawa region.

Please don't feel despair at all; also, read the limitation! the 3.93 cutoff was an arbitrary line to demonstrate my point.

Jumping from a 3.93 to a 3.94 will not severely increase your chances. Think of this as a spectrum.

What do you mean by "extensive"?

I should have phrased myself correctly, as I understand that there are no such things as a "cut-off" line :)

The GPA cutoff for those applying to the Anglophone stream from OOO IP is 3.85.

For those applying to the French stream, it is 3.60.

For aboriginal applicants, it is 3.50.

As the cutoff decreases, the GPA will not need to be as high for competitiveness.

You can get an idea of what "extensiveness" entails based on original post.

Archived