Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta Interview Discussion 2015

So maybe a dumb question about prompts... Do you just have to straight up tell the interviewer "I'd like a prompt", or do you just sit there in awkward silence until the interviewer propositions you regarding one? It seems kind of awkward either way.

"May I have a prompt please?" is generally a good way to get a prompt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of fun today! Great atmosphere from students, pretty basic mmi setup, questions were interesting and interviewers were meh. Overall, I think it went great but not enough to push me into the admitted group of applicants especially with my marks and ECs. Need a miracle to get in, but nice experience nonetheless. 

I felt like I completely bombed =( but the faculty did an amazing job at taking off the pressure that day. The med students who chaperoned us were very friendly, and it definitely made me feel less bad about my poor performance afterwards, lol.

60ish more days til we get the big letter! Good luck everyone! I've already registered for the new MCAT.

EDIT: Also, just an afterthought, but all my interviewers were very nice, and I didn't get any of these bad looks that some of you have spoken about. 

Anyone know where I can watch the UAlberta mmi video? I couldnt find it on youtube and I wanna see it again.

I really enjoyed it this year! If you look at last years MMI video, it came up in April so I'm assuming the same for this one. 

I felt like I completely bombed =( but the faculty did an amazing job at taking off the pressure that day. The med students who chaperoned us were very friendly, and it definitely made me feel less bad about my poor performance afterwards, lol.

EDIT: Also, just an afterthought, but all my interviewers were very nice, and I didn't get any of these bad looks that some of you have spoken about. 

I bombed it too :D we'll write the new mcat together! 

I got a lot of neutral faces in mine but one station in particular showed the interviewer trying to be really apathetic. Didn't want to shake hands, tried really hard to show a sour face, and acted like it was a chore to get a prompting question for me; got a bit of a laugh out of them but then I could tell they tried really hard to show like they didn't care or were angry. 

I thought it went... unexpectedly well? Maybe 2 stations were a little shaky, but other than that it went surprisingly well. At the very least, I gave full answers for all the questions and (hopefully) avoided saying anything idiotic. The "creative"-type station threw me a little bit when I first read the prompt, but I feel like I did pretty well in it. Overall I was very impressed with the interview process, and I would now say that I'm cautiously optimistic for next year.

OMG it was not good. I feel like theres a lot of stuff I could've brought up but wasted all 8 mins talking...should've been more succinct and asked for prompts. I don't even know how to convince myself that it may have gone alright or that I have a shot. It might be more useful to plan out next year. 

OMG it was not good. I feel like theres a lot of stuff I could've brought up but wasted all 8 mins talking...should've been more succinct and asked for prompts. I don't even know how to convince myself that it may have gone alright or that I have a shot. It might be more useful to plan out next year. 

There were a lot of stations imo that had a lot to talk about, I spent 6-7 minutes talking and when the follow up questions would come they would say "I think you may have already answered this but I will ask anyway"

Did anyone else feel like they got asked a lot prompts that they had already covered in their initial response? Some interviewers would say "you've already touched on this a little bit" or something along those lines, but it felt like a lot would just straight up read the question and I found myself thinking "have I not covered this already?"  Not a big deal really, I would just restate that specific point a little more concisely and maybe elaborate a little, but it felt kind of weird having to repeat myself and talk in circles.

Did anyone else feel like they got asked a lot prompts that they had already covered in their initial response? Some interviewers would say "you've already touched on this a little bit" or something along those lines, but it felt like a lot would just straight up read the question and I found myself thinking "have I not covered this already?"  Not a big deal really, I would just restate that specific point a little more concisely and maybe elaborate a little, but it felt kind of weird having to repeat myself and talk in circles.

Majority of MMIs (that I've done) are like this. Don't stress about it, it doesn't mean that you answered poorly. I find some interviewers ask every prompt question in order, while some skip some

Yeah, just a minor concern I had. In the example videos they give, the mock interviewer seemed really good about skipping questions that had already been addressed, so I just thought that would be the standard.

I thought it went... unexpectedly well? Maybe 2 stations were a little shaky, but other than that it went surprisingly well. At the very least, I gave full answers for all the questions and (hopefully) avoided saying anything idiotic. The "creative"-type station threw me a little bit when I first read the prompt, but I feel like I did pretty well in it. Overall I was very impressed with the interview process, and I would now say that I'm cautiously optimistic for next year.

The "creative station" was definitely my worst one. I had two stations in a row where I felt like I did very poorly, which threw me off. Does anybody know how the number of prompts you ask affects your performance? There were a few stations in which I used all of my prompts.....

The "creative station" was definitely my worst one. I had two stations in a row where I felt like I did very poorly, which threw me off. Does anybody know how the number of prompts you ask affects your performance? There were a few stations in which I used all of my prompts.....

Number of prompts used does not affect your score, or that's what we're told to believe. I used multiple prompts in all stations, but the questions at the "creative" stations were a bit strange... and I ended up giving 1-2 sentence answers. It was the only station I had silence with an interviewer for more than 10-15 seconds. 

I thought my interview went well for the most part, although my group of 8 seemed to be really smart and coherent people so I am a bit worried about that, haha. I hope I did well enough to be at least wait-listed, but you never know. Low expectations at this point.  :mellow:

Number of prompts used does not affect your score, or that's what we're told to believe. I used multiple prompts in all stations, and the questions at the "creative" stations were a bit strange... and I ended up giving 1-2 sentence answers. It was the only station I had silence with an interviewer for more than 10-15 seconds. 

I thought my interview went well for the most part, although my group of 8 seemed to be really smart and coherent people so I am a bit worried about that, haha. I hope I did well enough to be at least wait-listed, but you never know. Low expectations at this point.  :mellow:

It 100% doesn't affect your performance at all, that is a myth :)

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, what makes you feel a station went "poorly"?

Apart from doing poorly in general interview skills (e.g. lots of "ums", and losing eye contact when I was thinking of an answer), I am just not confident in the delivery of my answers. For my first station, I kept beating around the bush and realized I didn't give a straight answer by the time I left. Also, for one of my stations, I delivered my answer and got through all the prompts in 6/8 minutes.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Are we ranked relative to the people in our group? If so that drops my hopes a lot because there were quite a few older/mature people with life experience in mine. Just my luck  :P

I think we are, otherwise their system of grading from "Below Average" to "Above Average" wouldn't make any sense, no?

Archived