Premed 101 Forums

How Hard Is It?

RT25

I'm currently completing my last semester in CEGEP, and I'm pretty sure I prefer McGill over the French medical schools. However, as I took a science course last summer, it is almost certain that I won't get in. Here are my questions: after how many years were you finally accepted if you weren't the first time you applied? And did you have amazing grades? An astonishing CV?

Also, is it easier for a university student to get into med at UdeM than at McGiIll? 

Thank you :)

I can only speak as an undergraduate/graduate applicant since I never attended CEGEP and never had to chance to apply as a premed! However. I didn't know I wanted to do medicine until my fourth year of UG however, I did have close to a 3.9 in my 4th year and in my masters which was likely weighted heavily. From what I have gathered from my friends who took the pre-med stream, it is heavily weighted on your R score for admissions, whereas the UG stream has a lot more focus placed on pre-reqs and CV/letter. I think all the people in my class are awesome and have done some pretty amazing things, they really blow me away sometimes (from all admissions streams), but in the same breathe I don't think you need to be a super-human to get in either (...as I once thought after being rejected the first two times - I was like who ARE these super human people who get in??). 

Like I said, I can't speak to CEGEP or the other french schools because I only applied to other provinces, but wanted to reply incase there are others who have a similar situation to mine but are interested in your question. Maybe @Artzin or @Slipstream have some indication about other french schools?

I think you need to read the schools' websites...

Keep in mind that it's getting harder every year because more and more people apply. On average, people have more and more impressive CV.

In the ROQ U category, you should expect to see up to 100 more applicants each year for the next few years. Numbers seem slightly too good to be true for now. (around 850 who applied, 200 who get an interview for about 85 seats. +I guess 10-30 changes on the waitlist depending on the year. So over 50% once you're invited.)  In 2008 or so, only 350 applicants for about 170 interviews for about 80 seats in the ROQ-U category :D Those times were jokes haha. It's never going to be that easy again.

Thank you jj123 and Arztin for the replies! After checking the stats from both McGill and UdeM's websites, I think it's as hard to get into med at both universities, as a grad student. I always thought it was easier at UdeM perhaps because McGill's admission process seems impossible to demystify : they often reject people who have everything it takes and who did great at the interview...

And yes, the number of applicants does go up every year! :o

Archived