Premed 101 Forums

Md Vs Md/phd

After reviewing the interview stats I have to ask, Is it possible at UoT to apply for both the MD program and the MD/PhD program at the same time? or is it that people who have applied to the MD/PhD program have 2 interviews..

Also since I'm posting I may as well ask a second question: What are the thoughts on whether it is easier to get into med school applying via the MD/PhD program? Obviously you wouldn't apply to this degree for solely that reason, but I'm just curious.

When applying to the MD/PHD program, if you don't make the cut for the MD/PHD program you are put into the MD pool, so in a sense you are applying to both. The candidate that they look for in the MD/PhD stream is slightly different then the MD stream, however I wouldn't say it is easier, it would probably be harder since you need to be accepted by the MD and the PhD committee. 

When applying to the MD/PHD program, if you don't make the cut for the MD/PHD program you are put into the MD pool, so in a sense you are applying to both. The candidate that they look for in the MD/PhD stream is slightly different then the MD stream, however I wouldn't say it is easier, it would probably be harder since you need to be accepted by the MD and the PhD committee. 

I agree with everything that has been mentioned here. It's not easier or harder to get accepted, they just look for a slightly different candidate.

I am applying to the MD/PhD program, and I still have to go through the hurdles of the MD application, with additional references/essays/CV for the PhD portion. The MD/PhD and MD interview are actually two separate entities: you complete the MD/PhD interview, and then the regular MD interview with the rest of the MD candidates.

So in reality, it's not really easier - I think the stats are misleading in this regard.

But let's say the MD/PhD committee liked you, would the MD interview be more of a pass/fail thing against the other MD/PhD candidates, or would you still be competing with the 500 MD interviewees. 

You have to pass the MD interview first in order to be considered for the MD/PhD program based on the separate MD/PhD interview.

"How does the Admissions process work?

There are separate and parallel admissions processes for Undergraduate Medicine, and the MD/PhD Program. The MD/PhD Program office consults frequently with the Undergraduate Medicine admissions office to facilitate the review process. Where possible, interviews are scheduled in close proximity, particularly for individuals coming from out of town. Admission to Undergraduate Medicine must be confirmed before an offer of admission to the MD/PhD Program can be made."

Source: http://mdphd.utoronto.ca/prospective-students/frequently-asked-questions

Archived