Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster's Masters In Global Health?

Hey, 

I am thinking into doing a masters in global health or public health. Although I specifically had a question about the Global Health Program at McMasters. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever been through the program and enjoyed it. As well if there are employment opportunities at the end of the program. The other program I am interested in is the Master in Public Health at U of T the MPH: Social and Behaviour Health Science. If anyone can shed any light on either program would be great. Thank you 

• 2 months later...

Hey, I've been through the program and would be happy to answer questions!

Hey!

I have applied to the program (haven't heard back yet either).

Specifically, I am wondering how you found the program overall (as I have heard some parts were unorganized in previous years)? Maybe some background on yourself and what you hope to do after might give some context  :) 

Do you feel as though you have learned a lot from the program?

If you attended, how did you enjoy the symposium in India?

Did you have trouble finding a placement? and what was your experience with that like?

I have also heard a lot of the class is "pre-med" students. Did you find this was the same this year?

Sorry for all the questions... but thank you for the help!

Hey!

I have applied to the program (haven't heard back yet either).

Specifically, I am wondering how you found the program overall (as I have heard some parts were unorganized in previous years)? Maybe some background on yourself and what you hope to do after might give some context  :) 

Do you feel as though you have learned a lot from the program?

If you attended, how did you enjoy the symposium in India?

Did you have trouble finding a placement? and what was your experience with that like?

I have also heard a lot of the class is "pre-med" students. Did you find this was the same this year?

Sorry for all the questions... but thank you for the help!

Hi there,

Glad to hear you're interested in global health. Overall, I had a good experience with the program but it is not going to be the best choice for everyone, depending on your personal goals. If global or public health is your passion, also look into doing other grad degrees like an MPH- it's more recognized and the 2 year structure will give you more time to consolidate knowledge, do research ,etc. Other ideas...Macs MBA in health service management, Health Policy, Epidemiology, international development, political sci.....

Full disclosure- I went in as someone looking to get into med. I was already a nurse and I figured if I didn't get into med, the program would be a good way to travel, explore an interest in global health, and make myself more marketable to employers.

Yes, there will be people who want to go on to med school. There are also people from other professions (e.g. paramedics, teachers, midwives, nurses, teachers) but many people fit in the  <5 years out of UG category.

I feel I learned a lot, was exposed to new ideas, and had lots of great experiences. As I mentioned above however, 1 year may feel too short of a time frame to some people...doing this degree is not the only way into the GH world and I highly recommend exploring other grad school options. 

You will have to take the initiative and will not be lead by the hand re: the program, doing a thesis, or picking a placement. Choosing a placement was a bit stressful at the time and could have been better supported by the admin, but in the end I had choices and was very happy with what I ended up doing.

India was a great experience and I highly suggest doing some traveling before/after if you are able. I did not do the exchange semester to Maastricht but only heard good things about it.

Feel free to PM if you have other questions or if I can clarify anything. 

Hi there,

Glad to hear you're interested in global health. Overall, I had a good experience with the program but it is not going to be the best choice for everyone, depending on your personal goals. If global or public health is your passion, also look into doing other grad degrees like an MPH- it's more recognized and the 2 year structure will give you more time to consolidate knowledge, do research ,etc. Other ideas...Macs MBA in health service management, Health Policy, Epidemiology, international development, political sci.....

Full disclosure- I went in as someone looking to get into med. I was already a nurse and I figured if I didn't get into med, the program would be a good way to travel, explore an interest in global health, and make myself more marketable to employers.

Yes, there will be people who want to go on to med school. There are also people from other professions (e.g. paramedics, teachers, midwives, nurses, teachers) but many people fit in the  <5 years out of UG category.

I feel I learned a lot, was exposed to new ideas, and had lots of great experiences. As I mentioned above however, 1 year may feel too short of a time frame to some people...doing this degree is not the only way into the GH world and I highly recommend exploring other grad school options. 

You will have to take the initiative and will not be lead by the hand re: the program, doing a thesis, or picking a placement. Choosing a placement was a bit stressful at the time and could have been better supported by the admin, but in the end I had choices and was very happy with what I ended up doing.

India was a great experience and I highly suggest doing some traveling before/after if you are able. I did not do the exchange semester to Maastricht but only heard good things about it.

Hi chenoa,

I see you're at Mac for med now (that's awesome, congrats!). I was wondering if you could let us know what your undergraduate GPA was / MCAT? I am interested in this program, but I have a not so great cGPA - so I am not sure if doing a Masters would help me at this point. Should I be accepted, I know I'll have a tough time deciding between doing a fifth year (to improve my weighted GPA) vs. pursuing this program.

Also, did you find it very difficult to ace the program? I ask this because I'm aware that with course-based masters (or perhaps you took the thesis route), any grade less than an A/A- won't be acceptable when applying to med (based off UofT's website).

Thank you so much for answering questions :)

Hi there,

Hey chenoa,

Congrats on mac med! Hope you can answer a few questions for me! I recently got accepted to global health and I was interested in knowing what made you choose a placement vs thesis (and if doing a thesis in 1 year is possible). As well, did you end up going on exchange to Maastricht? What were your thoughts on going on exchange if you did go or knew people who went?

Hey chenoa! Thanks a lot for answering the question above. I was wondering when you heard back last year? I'm starting to get a bit worried and the website only says mid-May with no specific timeline. 

I was fortunate to hear back in early May (around the 8th?) I suggest you contact the GH office directly. Try Teeghan at durityt@mcmaster.ca

Hi chenoa,

I see you're at Mac for med now (that's awesome, congrats!). I was wondering if you could let us know what your undergraduate GPA was / MCAT? I am interested in this program, but I have a not so great cGPA - so I am not sure if doing a Masters would help me at this point. Should I be accepted, I know I'll have a tough time deciding between doing a fifth year (to improve my weighted GPA) vs. pursuing this program.

Also, did you find it very difficult to ace the program? I ask this because I'm aware that with course-based masters (or perhaps you took the thesis route), any grade less than an A/A- won't be acceptable when applying to med (based off UofT's website).

Thank you so much for answering questions :)

Hey! I did nursing and had a OMSAS gpa of 3.97. Mediocre mcat of 29 (11 VR) so I'm lucky Mac only looks at the verbal!

I didn't find the (course based) program to be overly demanding. People managed with PT work, families, extracurriculars, etc. I came from nursing, which people either consider difficult with demanding clinical placement hours or easy with fluff courses and no real sciences depending on your personal opinion....and I managed all A's in the program. It is possible to do the thesis in 1 year but you will really need to go in prepared and ready to take the initiative on things. I have friends who did the thesis stream, PM me if you want and I can try to get you in touch.  

Hey chenoa,

Congrats on mac med! Hope you can answer a few questions for me! I recently got accepted to global health and I was interested in knowing what made you choose a placement vs thesis (and if doing a thesis in 1 year is possible). As well, did you end up going on exchange to Maastricht? What were your thoughts on going on exchange if you did go or knew people who went?

I mainly chose the practicum because I wanted to travel and because my ultimate goal was med and I didn't want to 'over commit' should I have been accepted to med school. In hindsight the thesis would have given me valuable research exp that I lack and may have been doable in one year....although I would have had to go without the amazing practicum experience i did gain. 

I didnt' go to Maastricht but only heard good things. PM if you want and I can try to find you a classmate of mine who went who would be willing to answer questions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just received my offer for Global Health today (yup pretty late!), and I will be applying for medicine for the following year. Should I be worried about not finishing this masters degree in time? For example, UfT med's website says: 

"Applications from graduate students who will not be completing their degree requirements by June 30 in the proposed year of entry will not be considered; this policy is strictly enforced"

Basically, will doing Global Health (course-based option) this year limit the number of med schools that might consider me for the following year? Thanks for any help/personal experience you can provide!

Hi, I just received my offer for Global Health today (yup pretty late!), and I will be applying for medicine for the following year. Should I be worried about not finishing this masters degree in time? For example, UfT med's website says: 

"Applications from graduate students who will not be completing their degree requirements by June 30 in the proposed year of entry will not be considered; this policy is strictly enforced"

Basically, will doing Global Health (course-based option) this year limit the number of med schools that might consider me for the following year? Thanks for any help/personal experience you can provide!

Hey,

Well if U of T is going to hold you to the June 30 rule and you did course based, you would have to do your practicum immediately after the symposium in India (or explore options like completing your internship while in India if that interests you). The symposium usually ends the first week of May I believe. So you'd need to double check

-When the symposium will end in the year you do the GH program

-How many weeks/hours the GH program is requiring your practicum to be

And you'd just have to be extra on top of arranging a practicum that finishes by June 30. Definitely doable. 

Just got my offer as well and I was wondering if there is a facbeook group or anyway to connect to current students to ask about the program, exchange, specializations, etc. 

There is definitely a facebook group- "McMaster MSc Global Health Class of 2015"

Chenoa - I was wondering if you could share any feedback you got from your classmates who chose different "fields of interest"? I'm a bit stuck between a few different fields that I'd be interested in. Do you know of any pros/cons of the different fields? 

I like the sounds of the Global Health Management and Global Diseases fields, but I am also really interested in going to Maastricht. If I go to Maastricht though, I'm not sure which field I'd like better - "Implementing innovations on a Global Scale" or "Globalization and Development", cause they sound pretty similar..

What do you think?

Choice of program stream isn't as big of a deal as one might think entering the program. I would just suggest taking a look at the course options in each stream and see what piques your interest. Some people who had traditional/sciency backgrounds stated that they did global health management or the other one (globalization and development? the political science/sociology stream I can't remember the exact name) just to do something different or new to them. Of course others stuck with global diseases and that's cool as well. 

Also, if you want to switch streams once you're already in the program that is definitely possible as well. Just have an idea going in and ask the program early about course offerings. I remember some admin related problems related to course availability and scheduling. 

Archived