Premed 101 Forums

Am I Being A Bit Greedy?

武田信玄

I had an interview with a surgeon the other day for a research assistant position. The project itself is very clinical which is everything I am looking for. However, it's not a paid position and I'm sort of saving every penny for school at this moment. I am just wondering whether it's normal for someone like me (no clinical research experience, leaving in August for med school) to get a paid clinical research position? Especially for people who have worked in similar positions before, were you paid or not paid? Do you think it's a good idea to at least ask him about any potential monetary remuneration?

Very common ---  many people on here working towards an MD acceptance or other research goal have taken non-paid opportunities for the experience.  It is becoming more common with the fierce competition level.  

Only you can decide the risk-reward equation. 

If you already have your acceptance at your planned Med-school then you don't need it for your CV.   It might be more important personally to help you figure out your own career path. Don't under-estimate the benefit this could provide to you.

How important really is the $4-6K you might earn compared to the $200K you are about to spend at a US med-school.

It probably doesn't hurt to ask

Very common ---  many people on here working towards an MD acceptance or other research goal have taken non-paid opportunities for the experience.  It is becoming more common with the fierce competition level.  

Only you can decide the risk-reward equation. 

If you already have your acceptance at your planned Med-school then you don't need it for your CV.   It might be more important personally to help you figure out your own career path. Don't under-estimate the benefit this could provide to you.

How important really is the $4-6K you might earn compared to the $200K you are about to spend at a US med-school.

It probably doesn't hurt to ask

Thanks.

I would look around for scholarships or awards. You can ask your supervisors about these (they often know what previous students were able to do) or ask about a stipend. I've taken non-paid research before when I loved the project and thought the experience would really further my career/contacts. For example, my non-paid position in Oxford has come up in pretty much every interview I've ever had. I don't notice at all the money I didn't get and I pay for all my expenses myself. Like Meridian said $4-6 is nothing compared to the debt you'll be in for med school. If the experience is worth it then take it, regardless of money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would look around for scholarships or awards. You can ask your supervisors about these (they often know what previous students were able to do) or ask about a stipend. I've taken non-paid research before when I loved the project and thought the experience would really further my career/contacts. For example, my non-paid position in Oxford has come up in pretty much every interview I've ever had. I don't notice at all the money I didn't get and I pay for all my expenses myself. Like Meridian said $4-6 is nothing compared to the debt you'll be in for med school. If the experience is worth it then take it, regardless of money.

I agree.

Archived