Premed 101 Forums

Uwo Interview Invites

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to everyone who got an interview! And for those of you who didn't, don't take this as a failure. Realize that the competition is insane, and please try again next year! Hard work pays off.

If anyone has any questions about the interview (preparation, general comments/concerns), feel free to ask!  

Congrats to everyone who got an interview! And for those of you who didn't, don't take this as a failure. Realize that the competition is insane, and please try again next year! Hard work pays off.

If anyone has any questions about the interview (preparation, general comments/concerns), feel free to ask!  

I will be taking the physiology challenge exam and was planning on buying one of the books listed in the email instructions:

1) Human Physiology: The Mechanism of Body Function by Vander, Sherman and Luciano. This can be combined with a instructional CD entitled MediaPhys 3.0 (McGraw Hill)**, or

2) Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach by Silverthorn (Prentice Hall).

**The MediaPhys 3.0 CD can be purchased separately through the Western Bookstore or on-line. The CD covers the areas of the subject that serve as the basis for the physiology background required for the dental curriculum. It is full of animations with built in quizzes and questions and therefore is an asset to one's preparation for the exam.

Both books have many editions to them. Was curious to know what edition should I buy? It would be so much easier if they could just provide the exact book (including edition number) that they would be basing the test on...

Thanks in advance for your help!

@blueberry101   Not quite the place for this, but our class used the Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach by Silverthorn (6th ed). Our processor allowed us to use the 5th as well as she provided any supplementary pictures we really required. I'm quite sure you can even get away with older textbooks. Good, interesting subject... lots of material out there for the basics (youtube videos... forums... etc). If you want I can provide you all my review material... fully comprehensive stuff. PM me if so.

Despite having taken 3 anatomy and physiology courses I have to take this test too. 2 of my courses also had labs. The fact that their not recognized is a whole other story.

Keep in mind that what they want you to know basically sounds like a survey course. And you only need a 70%. Might be better to hear from someone else who took the test but I would imagine an AP physiology cliffs notes or something to that effect.

At least that's the route I'm going to go.

I will be taking the physiology challenge exam and was planning on buying one of the books listed in the email instructions:

1) Human Physiology: The Mechanism of Body Function by Vander, Sherman and Luciano. This can be combined with a instructional CD entitled MediaPhys 3.0 (McGraw Hill)**, or

**The MediaPhys 3.0 CD can be purchased separately through the Western Bookstore or on-line. The CD covers the areas of the subject that serve as the basis for the physiology background required for the dental curriculum. It is full of animations with built in quizzes and questions and therefore is an asset to one's preparation for the exam.

Both books have many editions to them. Was curious to know what edition should I buy? It would be so much easier if they could just provide the exact book (including edition number) that they would be basing the test on...

Unfortunately, I can't really help you with this topic because I didn't have to write the challenge exam. I've spoken to some of my classmates about it, and it seems like they only really used the CD. I've also heard about a question bank, but I'm not sure how to get access to it. Don't quote me on that, though. It would be best to contact the school directly to clear up any concerns that you have about the exam. It also sounds like Zaandrei and ottawaliquid gave you some pretty solid advice. Good luck with the exam! I've heard that it's not that bad at all.

CD would be more than enough

Hey guys I had a question regarding the timeline of the interview. Do we have to check in in the morning or just 30 min before whenever our interview slot is? As well when do we go on a tour and have time to interact with the dental students? Is this before or after our interview? As I'm coming from out of town I'm trying to plan my stay and picking the best time to accommodate this! Thanks guys!

Hey guys I had a question regarding the timeline of the interview. Do we have to check in in the morning or just 30 min before whenever our interview slot is? As well when do we go on a tour and have time to interact with the dental students? Is this before or after our interview? As I'm coming from out of town I'm trying to plan my stay and picking the best time to accommodate this! Thanks guys!

I also have this question - if any current students can comment, it'd be greatly appreciated!

You don't have to show up in the morning if your interview is in the afternoon. I personally showed up a couple hours in advance just to get familiar with the school and to hopefully calm my nerves (I would recommend doing this if you can). If not, then you can show up 30 minutes to an hour before your time slot. We will be giving tours and answering questions all day, so it's relatively informal. If you ever want a tour, just ask one of us and we'll try to gather a group. As soon as you enter the building, a dental student will greet you and bring you to sign in. Then you will go to a lecture hall where you can sit and wait with other interviewees and first year dental students, or you can rome around. We'll try to keep everything as relaxed as possible :P Also, lunch will be provided!

All you have to worry about is the interview itself. We'll take care of everything else :)

Thank you sooo much for the advice on the physiology challenge exam everyone. I really appreciate the input.

I also have some questions regarding the CDA interview. I have done an MMI, and it seems that the CDA format is quiet similar to the MMI, except that all 7 questions are presented in one go by a panel of three professionals, in one room (in an MMI, 8 questions are presented in different stations from different interviewees).

How are the questions presented (spoken/written)? Will we have time to formulate an answer, or are we expected to respond immediately? Since we have about 30 minutes to answer 7 questions, are we penalized for going over the required 30 minute time frame?

Any tips or suggestions about effective prep courses for the CDA?

Thank you sooo much for the advice on the physiology challenge exam everyone. I really appreciate the input.

I also have some questions regarding the CDA interview. I have done an MMI, and it seems that the CDA format is quiet similar to the MMI, except that all 7 questions are presented in one go by a panel of three professionals, in one room (in an MMI, 8 questions are presented in different stations from different interviewees).

How are the questions presented (spoken/written)? Will we have time to formulate an answer, or are we expected to respond immediately? Since we have about 30 minutes to answer 7 questions, are we penalized for going over the required 30 minute time frame?

Any tips or suggestions about effective prep courses for the CDA?

I haven't gone through an MMI interview, so I can't compare it to the CDA style. However, based on my conversations with friends who got into optometry, apparently they're fairly similar. 

The questions are spoken (the interviewers read them to you). You definitely have time to formulate an answer. I took about 30 seconds or so to gather my thoughts and structure the answer in my head. My interview took the whole time, and they only had time to ask me one traditional question at the end. They will let you know if you go over time, and I doubt you'll be penalized unless you're rambling and not hitting the points that they want. 

As far as prep courses go, I personally used crush interview. 

You don't have to show up in the morning if your interview is in the afternoon. I personally showed up a couple hours in advance just to get familiar with the school and to hopefully calm my nerves (I would recommend doing this if you can). If not, then you can show up 30 minutes to an hour before your time slot. We will be giving tours and answering questions all day, so it's relatively informal. If you ever want a tour, just ask one of us and we'll try to gather a group. As soon as you enter the building, a dental student will greet you and bring you to sign in. Then you will go to a lecture hall where you can sit and wait with other interviewees and first year dental students, or you can rome around. We'll try to keep everything as relaxed as possible :P Also, lunch will be provided!

All you have to worry about is the interview itself. We'll take care of everything else :)

Great thanks for the info! Good to know there isn't a set schedule/tour time. Best of luck everyone!

I think prep courses are likely a waste of time and money unless you really need practice speaking to groups of people and haven't been exposed to many interview-type scenarios.

I think a "coached" response can come off as insincere or rehearsed.  Mind you I haven't been on any interviews and I might bomb all of mine without the prep courses.  :eek:

I've looked up some general questions so I have an idea of the types of questions that might be asked, but there is likely no way that you could "prepare" for every possible question that could be asked.

Just my two cents... 

I think prep courses are likely a waste of time and money unless you really need practice speaking to groups of people and haven't been exposed to many interview-type scenarios.

I think a "coached" response can come off as insincere or rehearsed.  Mind you I haven't been on any interviews and I might bomb all of mine without the prep courses.  :eek:

I've looked up some general questions so I have an idea of the types of questions that might be asked, but there is likely no way that you could "prepare" for every possible question that could be asked.

Just my two cents...

I respectfully disagree. When I interviewed, I was so prepared that every question sounded familiar and I could formulate a response even though I've never heard it before. At the end of the day, you can definitely "study" for a CDA interview. On the other hand, there are people who didn't take any prep courses and still got accepted. At the end of the day, nothing can truly prepare you for the interview, in my opinion. The more mock practice you get, the better off you will be. Based on your previous posts, you definitely sound like you have a lot of life experience and are very mature and well rounded, so I'm sure you'll be great :)

Archived