Premed 101 Forums

2Nd Iteration Invite Thread

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

I have a couple of questions for you guys that I hoping that you can help me with.  I too am waiting for any news from the programs for the second iteration.  Do all programs to which I applied send an email, whether it be for rejection or invitation for interview?  Also, is it OK for me to contact the programs directly and inquire about my status, or offer a support for my application?  Or this generally not common practice (i.e. looked unfavorably)?  Please let me know what you guys think.  I am dying from waiting here, and I know the rank order list deadlines are coming soon, so they have the make their decisions soon, no?  Thanks a lot.

Hey all,

I have a couple of questions for you guys that I hoping that you can help me with.  I too am waiting for any news from the programs for the second iteration.  Do all programs to which I applied send an email, whether it be for rejection or invitation for interview?  Also, is it OK for me to contact the programs directly and inquire about my status, or offer a support for my application?  Or this generally not common practice (i.e. looked unfavorably)?  Please let me know what you guys think.  I am dying from waiting here, and I know the rank order list deadlines are coming soon, so they have the make their decisions soon, no?  Thanks a lot.

-not all programs send rejections (same as 1st iteration) and some programs I think may call instead of email about interviews.

-some programs will re-interview applicants they have already interviewed 1st round some will simply rank you (and may tell you or not that they have ranked you) and some may just rank people and choose not to interview them even if they haven't interviewed them at all.

-the rank list is due next week for programs and I think the following week for applicants. You can get invited for an interview potentially up until the rank deadline for programs.

-create your dream rank list whether you got invited for an interview or not and hope for the best.

-At this point its likely that a lot of programs have sent the invites out so there may be no harm in reaching out. If they don't want to hear from you the email/call likely wont get past a secretary anyways so won't affect your application. 

-not all programs send rejections (same as 1st iteration) and some programs I think may call instead of email about interviews.

-some programs will re-interview applicants they have already interviewed 1st round some will simply rank you (and may tell you or not that they have ranked you) and some may just rank people and choose not to interview them even if they haven't interviewed them at all.

-the rank list is due next week for programs and I think the following week for applicants. You can get invited for an interview potentially up until the rank deadline for programs.

-create your dream rank list whether you got invited for an interview or not and hope for the best.

-At this point its likely that a lot of programs have sent the invites out so there may be no harm in reaching out. If they don't want to hear from you the email/call likely wont get past a secretary anyways so won't affect your application. 

Ok thanks joe1234 for the info and advice.  Appreciate it.  

Did you specifically ask Calgary, or just assume that based on their email that its only in person? Because mannnn that's expensive to get there! 

I did not specifically ask Calgary whether Skype/phone interviews would be possible. I was lucky enough to get a Saturday interview slot, so I will fly out on Friday afternoon and back on Saturday evening. Total cost $1500~, plus hotel. 

Heard from UofA - Fort McMurray. Skype or in person in Edmonton. I will Skype. 

Anyone heard back from MUN peds?

I heard from both MUN peds & NOSM peds yesterday. MUN peds interview is via Skype (Thursday or Monday) & NOSM peds interview is in person on Monday. 

I'm not sure if invites are rolling or not. So don't lose faith guys! 

Ottawa Neurosurg has already sent out all of their interview invites by email.

Ottawa gen surg has not sent out any invites yet. They will be sent out by the end of the week. Unknown if by phone or email, though. No in-person interviews...they will be phone/skype interviews only.

Hey luckythirteen, how did you find out about Ottawa Neurosurg?

Conspiracy theorist in me thinks its to get some guy's IMG kid into the program.

Realist in me thinks its just that they were too picky?

Picky may be a part of it. But some programs also keep spots open for transfers. 

Or they thought they interviewed the best candidates but many of them might have had it as a back up and picked another program/specialty ahead of it.

Archived