Premed 101 Forums

Let's Start A General "i'm Applying For Grad School" Support Thread

Hi guys, I don't know if this is actually allowed on here, since I suppose it isn't the most professional? But truly, I don't know very many people in real life who are in the middle of waiting for application results for grad school, so I figured that we could all support each other in here? 

For a lot of us, it isn't only the application waiting (which is stressful enough!), but a lot of us are facing the end of our undergrad (both exciting and stressful, I'm sure), the prospects of potentially moving next year, etc. 
I think maybe it would be nice for us to have a place to vent and know we're not alone? If I've learned anything from my Psychology During Rehabilitation courses, knowing that there's others out there going through the same stresses and frustrations as you definitely helps!

That being said, good luck to everyone applying right now! 

Lovely idea! Hoping for the best for everyone too!

I guess one of my frustrations lately was a professor who asked me about what I was planning to do after my undergrad, then when I told her about applying to OT school, she shot it down immediately saying "it's so competitive, just do a college program in behavioural Autism services for public schools and you'll be set!" 

ZKL3eOL.gif

I want OT so badly haha, I've put too much effort in and will put in more before going for a second plan. That and I'm more interested in geriatrics, dementia, and preventative care vs. pediatric stuff. I don't think anyone but you guys here can understand how that made me feel haha. How are all you doing?!

Wooooow! While I totally get profs trying to be realistic and preparing students for potential disappointment in competitive programs, that's a little absurd. The other day someone asked me what I'll do if I don't get in next year and I just blankly stared at them and said "uh... apply again?" I get that it's competitive, but I wish people would give more credit to those who have their heart set on getting there. 

Don't let 'em get to you - you know what you want and you'll get there!! 

As for me, I'm struggling with a couple group projects worth 40% of my marks... yikes. One of our presentations is tonight...so at least it'll be over. I kind of feel like everything important to me right now in my life (my marks... and getting in to OT) are completely out of my control. I would much prefer studying my butt off and writing an exam to a subjective presentation where a whole group gets the same mark. I don't think I'm a control freak, but I like to plan things out and have them go according to plan, you know? The waiting is killing me!!!

I didn't get in last year, so this is round two for me! I didn't give up :) the wait is killing me though. I check my email every 15 mins haha. My heart also leaps in my throat when I see replies on the forums incase somebody heard back! Trying to stay positive and calm though

I didn't get in last year, so this is round two for me! I didn't give up :) the wait is killing me though. I check my email every 15 mins haha. My heart also leaps in my throat when I see replies on the forums incase somebody heard back! Trying to stay positive and calm though

I can relate! This is my second year applying as well. Feels like a lot more added pressure. I am sooo ready to hear back now haha I feel like my life is at a standstill. I'm constantly checking my email and this forum!

Hey NSOTapplicant! Would you mind sharing your sGPA? I'm just trying to gauge how nervous I should be on a scale of mildly uneasy to abject terror.

Wooooow! While I totally get profs trying to be realistic and preparing students for potential disappointment in competitive programs, that's a little absurd. The other day someone asked me what I'll do if I don't get in next year and I just blankly stared at them and said "uh... apply again?" I get that it's competitive, but I wish people would give more credit to those who have their heart set on getting there. 

Don't let 'em get to you - you know what you want and you'll get there!! 

As for me, I'm struggling with a couple group projects worth 40% of my marks... yikes. One of our presentations is tonight...so at least it'll be over. I kind of feel like everything important to me right now in my life (my marks... and getting in to OT) are completely out of my control. I would much prefer studying my butt off and writing an exam to a subjective presentation where a whole group gets the same mark. I don't think I'm a control freak, but I like to plan things out and have them go according to plan, you know? The waiting is killing me!!!

That's the thing! Another year is worth the wait to me. Yes, it does suck sometimes but in all honesty I'd rather put in the work now and give it my best shot. 

Ugh, that sounds awful. I'm actually having the same issue, group report for 35% and it's not my major or anything, a bit daunting. Hope it went well tonight! At least it's over. Yeah, I'm definitely at that same point too where grades are so important to me and getting into OT school. It's an issue for group work, for sure.

I didn't get in last year, so this is round two for me! I didn't give up  :) the wait is killing me though. I check my email every 15 mins haha. My heart also leaps in my throat when I see replies on the forums incase somebody heard back! Trying to stay positive and calm though

I can relate! This is my second year applying as well. Feels like a lot more added pressure. I am sooo ready to hear back now haha I feel like my life is at a standstill. I'm constantly checking my email and this forum!

Haha sorry to get your heart up with this posts: I'm not posting any admission news. Yeah, this wait is torture! I'm kind of curious what you two have been doing this past year, if you don't mind me asking? Upgrading, working or something? I'll probably have to apply twice myself.

You two are an inspiration! It's a lot of people's (including mine) biggest fear to have put in all of the work and have it not pan out. Even though we know we plan to do it all again next year, it's still a rough prospect to handle. Knowing that you guys are out there doing it all AGAIN is kind of amazing in a way - you should be so proud of your perseverance! And never give up on what you want to do!!!

Archived