Premed 101 Forums

Current Year Grades

Does anyone if current year grades affect the applicaiton score? Are they factored in to the gpa calculation when ranking applicants for the interview or for acceptances?

or is the current year just to make sure prereqs are completed and also for conditional acceptance (accepted given the current year GPA is above the min for the applicant pool youre in)

Does anyone if current year grades affect the applicaiton score? Are they factored in to the gpa calculation when ranking applicants for the interview or for acceptances?

or is the current year just to make sure prereqs are completed and also for conditional acceptance (accepted given the current year GPA is above the min for the applicant pool youre in)

I believe they just check to make sure that you have the prerequisites and that it's above 3.3 (or whatever GPA you require for the pool that you're in). I haven't confirmed this myself, but that's what it sounds like from people that have asked in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

I've emailed Admissions about this, and they were pretty vague about it. I slacked off this year (yeah, my own fault :) ), and consequently am expecting a yearly GPA about 0.6 points below the cGPA on my application.

I just hope they have a similar policy to UofC or UBC; the prior school says your yearly GPA must be at least 3.2 for admission, and the latter school says your cumulative GPA can't drop by 5%.

I've emailed Admissions about this, and they were pretty vague about it. I slacked off this year (yeah, my own fault :) ), and consequently am expecting a yearly GPA about 0.6 points below the cGPA on my application.

I just hope they have a similar policy to UofC or UBC; the prior school says your yearly GPA must be at least 3.2 for admission, and the latter school says your cumulative GPA can't drop by 5%.

Do you mean 0.06 or actually 0.6? Because the former seems negligible, while the latter is... a bit more worrisome.

I have no-one to blame for my horrible yearly GPA but myself, but I do find solace in the fact that it won't count in my cGPA for future applications since I'm taking only 5 courses this year. I've already accepted the fact that I will be rejected after my MMIs took place, anyway.  :lol:

I have no-one to blame for my horrible yearly GPA but myself, but I do find solace in the fact that it won't count in my cGPA for future applications since I'm taking only 5 courses this year. I've already accepted the fact that I will be rejected after my MMIs took place, anyway.  :lol:

Hi chroniciconic,

Send an e-mail to mdadmission@ualberta.ca and ask them if they'll even bother looking at your last year since you only took five courses. They might just ignore it, since you didn't take the required 18 credits.

If you don't get in this cycle, I know for sure that they will simply ignore any years with less than six courses. I have a number of part time years and they weren't included in the GPA calculation at all.

Hi Magpie! :) I did send them an e-mail in early February, and they replied with something along the lines of "current year grades are a condition of acceptance, although it won't be counted in your cumulative GPA. 

OOPS... I missed the part where you said that you already e-mailed them. It would be nice if they were a little less vague.  :huh:

Archived