Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Thoughts

Just FYI, this problem is not with the admission screwing up the offers, it's with SOLUS being a poor platform for sending out invites in such a controlled setting. SOLUS is made for UG acceptances where it doesn't matter if stuff shows up at 12:00am because no one is neurotic and refreshing the page over and over again. The admissions office, from what I have heard, has been promised that this problem has been fixed. But to a certain extent, it's a bit out of their control.

Also, our year it didn't show up on SOLUS until after we got our emailed acceptances. (I got a mini-heart attack when Savac told me he got accepted and I checked there first and didn't see anything). I secretly think that when SOLUS 'accidentally' shows results the day before they are probably just checking the system to make sure it's working and it will only show waitlisted/non-waitlisted. As Aetherus said, the site has nothing to do with the admissions committee - we are always going to be at the mercy of the IT department.

Also, our year it didn't show up on SOLUS until after we got our emailed acceptances. (I got a mini-heart attack when Savac told me he got accepted and I checked there first and didn't see anything). I secretly think that when SOLUS 'accidentally' shows results the day before they are probably just checking the system to make sure it's working and it will only show waitlisted/non-waitlisted. As Aetherus said, the site has nothing to do with the admissions committee - we are always going to be at the mercy of the IT department.

Plus, the year that SOLUS actually did make the mistake for a few hours (2011), people remember and that story keeps getting passed down. It makes it seem like there's a big SOLUS issue every year (which isn't the case).

That's actually untrue. Last year it was up for 15 minutes the day before acceptances came out (around 4pm). They then quickly changed it back so that no one could see it. I definitely remember seing the results the day before.

That's actually untrue. Last year it was up for 15 minutes the day before acceptances came out (around 4pm). They then quickly changed it back so that no one could see it. I definitely remember seing the results the day before.

It was up for 15 minutes, but it only showed to the people who were waitlisted. Those who were accepted the first round didn't have any results shown on SOLUS during that time window.

Didn't you guys have a negative balance on your account or something?

No, there was no indication last year if you were accepted. We checked change in status, balance, enrollment, etc. But we knew we weren't waitlisted (so either accepted or rejected)

• 3 weeks later...

I think it happened in my year (2013) as well. I recall seeing something at midnight- it didn't say yes/no but I believe the understanding was that if it showed a balance owing it meant it was likely an acceptance. I can't remember exactly though.

Hopefully won't happen again! Last year several schools had massive IT problems- I think both UT and Mac had issues last year.

I think it happened in my year (2013) as well. I recall seeing something at midnight- it didn't say yes/no but I believe the understanding was that if it showed a balance owing it meant it was likely an acceptance. I can't remember exactly though.

Hopefully won't happen again! Last year several schools had massive IT problems- I think both UT and Mac had issues last year.

yup! I found out about my Queens acceptance the night before results were out because my account showed a deposit owing. It was a nice because it allowed me to sleep well knowing I at least got in somewhere!

To those who have been accepted but are tuning down their offer in favour of another school, please decline at your earliest convenience. Acceptances off the waitlist are rolling, and the earlier one declines the sooner a person on the waitlist is able to receive a notification about an offer. This is especially helpful for those who were waitlisted at their preferred school and accepted to a lower ranked school. This request is an unfortunate outcome of the lack of a matching service for medical school admissions, but if you could consider others' situations that would be very helpful.

To those who have been accepted but are tuning down their offer in favour of another school, please decline at your earliest convenience. Acceptances off the waitlist are rolling, and the earlier one declines the sooner a person on the waitlist is able to receive a notification about an offer. This is especially helpful for those who were waitlisted at their preferred school and accepted to a lower ranked school. This request is an unfortunate outcome of the lack of a matching service for medical school admissions, but if you could consider others' situations that would be very helpful.

Is this posted somewhere or did admissions just tell you this? Kind of surprising because judging from past threads Queen's has always waited the full 2 weeks or very close to it before making waitlist offers.

Is this posted somewhere or did admissions just tell you this? Kind of surprising because judging from past threads Queen's has always waited the full 2 weeks or very close to it before making waitlist offers.

Maybe he's basing it off of what the waitlist email says:

Although you are not among those to be offered admission today, offers will be made from our wait list as places become available.

Some of the schools including Queens, try to send out a few offers right before the deadline passes if enough students have turned down the offer. This doesn't happen every year, and it's not usually a big wave. The first big wave will happen within a few days/a week after the deadline.

This is unofficial and just based off of the past threads on this forum.

Archived