Premed 101 Forums

2015 Stats For Interview Invites

Looks pretty similar to last years! Here they are for comparison (4th year IP pool)

CGPA: 3.87 (Max 4.0)

Personal Activities Score: 9 (Max 16)

MCAT Score: 10.84 (Max 14)

Lol the highest personal activities score last year was a 16/30? What is the point in even pretending that they are scored out of 30 (now 40).

This is for OOP (Since Friendly Magpie's numbers seem different from mine)

Avg CGPA: 3.96 ........... Max:4.00

AVG Personal activities: 9 .......... Max: 17

Avg MCAT: 11.85   ........   Max: 14.33

Yikes, looks like I'm below average on both cGPA and MCAT...that's unsettling lol

this pisses me off beyond belief. Anyone else in the same boat? 

my mcat = avg interviewed

gpa = 3.57 vs interviewed = 3.87

ec score = 14 vs interviewed = 9

no interview

how the hell can they give such a high weight to ECs when the average interviewed EC score is LESS THAN HALF THE TOTAL SCORE (20). 

no interview

how the hell can they give such a high weight to ECs when the average interviewed EC score is LESS THAN HALF THE TOTAL SCORE (20). 

Your scores are actually quite similar to mine. Last year, I received an interview and was waitlisted. I never made it off the waitlist.

I was really happy when I learned that ECs were going to count for more this year as that's where my highest scores were. When I didn't receive an interview at all this year, it was a bit of a shock since I'd gotten so close last year. 

There is speculation that the U of A calculates GPA using a formula that benefits people with higher GPAs. They are a "GPA school" but keep trying. Next year, I will be applying to Calgary as well (I couldn't before as I didn't have enough full time years). Hopefully we have better luck next year.  :)

Your scores are actually quite similar to mine. Last year, I received an interview and was waitlisted. I never made it off the waitlist.

I was really happy when I learned that ECs were going to count for more this year as that's where my highest scores were. When I didn't receive an interview at all this year, it was a bit of a shock since I'd gotten so close last year. 

There is speculation that the U of A calculates GPA using a formula that benefits people with higher GPAs. They are a "GPA school" but keep trying. Next year, I will be applying to Calgary as well (I couldn't before as I didn't have enough full time years). Hopefully we have better luck next year.  :)

I'm honestly wondering why they felt they needed to up the EC score to 40. 9/30 vs. 9/40 isn't really that big of a difference, and it's not like people were hitting the ceiling because the max score didn't even cross 20. It almost seems like misrepresentation to claim that EC's are worth 40%, because unless you read posts like this, you would have no idea how far from the truth that is. You've gotta think that such a system probably leaves a few people wondering why they were rejected.

I'm honestly wondering why they felt they needed to up the EC score to 40. 9/30 vs. 9/40 isn't really that big of a difference, and it's not like people were hitting the ceiling because the max score didn't even cross 20. It almost seems like misrepresentation to claim that EC's are worth 40%, because unless you read posts like this, you would have no idea how far from the truth that is. You've gotta think that such a system probably leaves a few people wondering why they were rejected.

EC's are worth 30%.

https://www.med.ualberta.ca/programs/md/admissions/applying/selection-process

no interview

because according to inside sources, uofa only cares about hours or high title in a big organization/event or internationally-relevant stuff. that will get you 4/4 on each section. trust me. 

Archived