Premed 101 Forums

Uoft 2015 Acceptance/rejection/waitlist

I'm so sorry but I'm going to be harsh with you. 

If you are even not sure that you want to go to dentistry or medical school, I think it's better to take a break and decide first before applying. Some people think just because they have good marks they should go to med or Dent school. and I don't know why uoft won't put these candidates away. 

when I applied for US dental schools, they were very strict about this, and they asked in the application if you have applied for med school as well or not. and most schools won't even consider your application if they see you have applied to both. 

at this point in your life you have to have at least know what you want to be. and I really don't know how people can answer to interview questions honestly, when they are just simply putting on a show to get into a school. 

I don't know if you were one of these types of students or not. and I'm sorry if you felt offended, but this is a serious choice that people have to make way before applying. 

A little harsh... I don't know why applying to both is such a stigma. There's still quite a bit of overlap between medicine and dentistry. It's like saying people shouldn't enter medicine unless they know exactly what speciality they're going for (many don't & the differences between specialities can be huge). I have both medicine and dentistry interviews and I haven't totally decided either. But it's not like 1 is a "back up" for another. I know I would be very happy in both and could very well end up picking dent over med. Shit happens. I'm just keeping my options open and applying broadly because shit's competitive.

Plz don't criticize others so harshly for doing the same when you're unsure of their intentions.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IP

GPA: 3.95+.

AA:23+ PAT: 22

Interview: Average

4th year (just finishing up)

I was debating cancelling the Western interview as well, but I think i'll go out of courtesy and just extra interview practice. Never know they might just sway me!

Congratulations to all; I hope the wait-list moves a lot this year and all of you get good news throughout the next few weeks/months! :)

I wanted to go for the interview as well, but after talking to some uoft dentistry alumni, they told me if uoft is your first choice, that's unfair towards a potentiated student. 

So I'm going to call them and cancel my interview, so they can invite another person for the interview. because as you may know there are still people in the waitlist for interview. if you just put yourself you see that's really unfair if we, who have the uoft acceptance just go for interview out of curiosity and fun, while there people out there who this interview would be there only hope to become a dentist. that's just my humble opinion. 

I wanted to go for the interview as well, but after talking to some uoft dentistry alumni, they told me if uoft is your first choice, that's unfair towards a potentiated student. 

So I'm going to call them and cancel my interview, so they can invite another person for the interview. because as you may know there are still people in the waitlist for interview. if you just put yourself you see that's really unfair if we, who have the uoft acceptance just go for interview out of curiosity and fun, while there people out there who this interview would be there only hope to become a dentist. that's just my humble opinion. 

Yeah I saw your above post and you brought up a good point. I didn't know that there's a wait-list for interviews (like McGill). Truthfully, if one was wait-listed for an interview, it would be tough to make up for that fact during the interview, especially since there's so many interviewees for so 'little' spots. I agree everyone deserves a shot. This may be a tad bit cold but... the shot was in their best two years of undergrad. I have seen people turn their marks right around  after they decided that they really want to go into a certain field. I've seen ~2.5 GPA go to a ~3.9 - and I really applaud these individuals. I really don't mean this in a negative way, even though it sounds terrible.

Anyways... I will decide at the beginning of this upcoming week on this matter, but I will likely cancel my interview as well, both in the consideration of others and personal time-conflicts (its exam season).

I do commend your altruistic attitude. However, I also believe we should withhold judgement on individuals who choose to attend the Western interview even if it is not their top choice. I don't think individuals going for"curiosity and fun" is really being "unfair" to others since these spots are earned. From the perspective of the students, it's an excellent opportunity to gain more experience and exposure, to network and befriend. From the school's perspective, they would want their top choice students and could perhaps sway them their way. You don't know what you do not experience :) Perhaps I interpreted your post wrongly, but I don't think it would be unfair to use up the opportunities earned through hard work, even if it is for self-growth. More importantly, interviewees shouldn't be pressured or guilt-tripped into not having this opportunity to make an important career decision. 

I do commend your altruistic attitude. However, I also believe we should withhold judgement on individuals who choose to attend the Western interview even if it is not their top choice. I don't think individuals going for"curiosity and fun" is really being "unfair" to others since these spots are earned. From the perspective of the students, it's an excellent opportunity to gain more experience and exposure, to network and befriend. From the school's perspective, they would want their top choice students and could perhaps sway them their way. You don't know what you do not experience :) Perhaps I interpreted your post wrongly, but I don't think it would be unfair to use up the opportunities earned through hard work, even if it is for self-growth. More importantly, interviewers shouldn't be pressured or guilt-tripped into not having this opportunity to make an important career decision. 

I didn't want to judge anyone, but I just wanted to give my personal point of view. honestly till this morning I didn't think about it from this side. 

and I know we all did our best, but I know there are some people that may just came short a little bit, for example they have 3.84 instead of 3.85 . and I personally don't think going for interview can give me any special experience or I can network with many new people. maybe that's just me. because right now I know many of the students over there. and also I went to 2 interviews in US, so I don't need any more experience. but that's just me. and as you said people can go and have a great time over there without stress. one of my friend was in doubt between uoft and western, and ended up at western. so maybe some people love the atmosphere of western. 

I just wanted to give another perspective to people who are in doubt to whether to go for an interview or not. 

Further to that point, I think that it is great for all who got into U of T or another school of your choice - that is fabulous. The point that u/dandoonpez makes is that your decision to go to an interview where you have no intention of attending that school does impact other people Yes, you worked hard, but maybe other people worked as hard or harder. Maybe they didn't have the opportunities that you did. When you attend interviews like UWO, where say you have accepted at McGill, you put other peoples lives on hold for months. You are not choosing UWO over McGill at half the price. You are obviously great candidates - and so you get an offer at UWO - that waitlists someone else until you decide you want to relinquish that spot. If you think that there is even a 1% chance that you may choose say UWO, then go for the interview. It is discouraging when people say they are going for interview practice - really? - you didn't practice enough already? Obviously everyone can do what they like, but don't pretend it is victimless. I understand that this is the way it is and yes life is competitive, but there are others who are just trying to find a spot somewhere. Sorry for the rant - please go on.

And once again, heart felt congratulations to you all.

When I first applied, I was only offered an interview at Western off of the interview waitlist. I received it with fairly short notice.

Didn't go to Western, but I appreciated the opportunity. It was a shot.

But I'll say this:

Don't let anyone tell you what to do.

I'm so sorry but I'm going to be harsh with you. 

If you are even not sure that you want to go to dentistry or medical school, I think it's better to take a break and decide first before applying. Some people think just because they have good marks they should go to med or Dent school. and I don't know why uoft won't put these candidates away. 

when I applied for US dental schools, they were very strict about this, and they asked in the application if you have applied for med school as well or not. and most schools won't even consider your application if they see you have applied to both. 

at this point in your life you have to have at least know what you want to be. and I really don't know how people can answer to interview questions honestly, when they are just simply putting on a show to get into a school. 

I don't know if you were one of these types of students or not. and I'm sorry if you felt offended, but this is a serious choice that people have to make way before applying. 

Ah so you applied to US dental schools. Are you a traitor to your own country? If you're not even sure at this point in your life if you want to go to school in Canada or the US, maybe you should take a break. Oh US dental schools are just backups you say? Maybe the same is true of Canadian dental schools for some of us who want to have options.

Ah so you applied to US dental schools. Are you a traitor to your own country? If you're not even sure at this point in your life if you want to go to school in Canada or the US, maybe you should take a break. Oh US dental schools are just backups you say? Maybe the same is true of Canadian dental schools for some of us who want to have options.

no. I'm not a traitor to my country because i'm international student. and based on uoft stats they didn't accepted any international student in the past 3 years. 

I do respect others choice, but I also respect the dentistry profession and I personally think that keeping dentistry as a backup is not respectful to others. but that's just my opinion. you may dislike it. but i didn't want to offend anyone. 

Tone down the rhetoric please! Everyone's free to their own opinion and you're free to disagree, but let's not resort to disparaging comments.

I have a question, since our admission is contingent upon 3.0, is there a minimum number of courses we need to take each year for uoft? For example, i want to drop one of my courses right now (it won't appear on my transcript due to the strike), and i have 18 credits right now so i want to know if dropping a 3 credit course (0.5 at uoft)..will i still be eligible? or they have a minimum number of credits needed to be completed each year.

Thank you

Archived