Premed 101 Forums

U Of A's Ot Program 2015: Offers, Rejection, Waitlisted

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how it feels - I was rejected from all schools as well in Ontario with ORPAS sGPA being 3.94 :mellow: really wondering what part of my application did they dislike so much :P but keep your head up!

Thanks! It's all I can do now... Congrats for getting into UofA too! :)

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on your acceptance!  I am finishing up my first year of OT at U of A.  Please do not create a facebook group.  A group has already been created for you.  Administrative staff at the U of A will be e-mailing you a link shortly.  If you would like to join prior to that just search: U of A Occupational Therapy Class of 2017.  This group was created by second year OTPDC members (OT professional development committee members).  It is designed to give you an opportunity to ask questions and discuss course content.  Sorry that you already went to the trouble of creating a group.  However, this is the one that you will need to join!  

Thanks!

Hey guys! Let's all join the facebook group that the current OT students have created for us:) 

Anyone else checking their email every 5 minutes hoping that they've sent the next round of offers out? It's my last hope :( unless the OOP wait list at Dal moves dramatically.. And on another note does anyone know if the U of A only accepts 300-400 level classes for upgrading your GPA or do they look at any level?

Anyone else checking their email every 5 minutes hoping that they've sent the next round of offers out? It's my last hope :( unless the OOP wait list at Dal moves dramatically.. And on another note does anyone know if the U of A only accepts 300-400 level classes for upgrading your GPA or do they look at any level?

They look at your last 60 credits and the courses can be any level.

They look at your last 60 credits and the courses can be any level.

Any credits taken AFTER a degree (ie. upgrading) must be 200-level or above =)

I am. :( I really hope that they send a bunch today.. The first-round and waitlist offers were both on a Monday. :/

Got an email yesterday morning that I got into the program! :D GPA for U of A 3.81

Got my "official" email Friday at 2:03pm.

I was just wondering how long did it take to receive the information package in the mail? :)

Sending good vibes for others who are waiting to hear back this week! 

Got my "official" email Friday at 2:03pm.

I was just wondering how long did it take to receive the information package in the mail? :)

Sending good vibes for others who are waiting to hear back this week! 

I got my letter in the mail about 8 days after I got my email acceptance. But they also mentioned in the email that they were updating their letters and I live in BC. So you should probably get yours much sooner :)

I got my OT wait list email on the 23rd (?) of April. 

I thought they would start moving the wait list yesterday, but I decided to call in today since I haven't heard anything. It turns out the wait list has not moved at all for now, and will start moving in June or July according to the lady I spoke to. I'm keeping high hopes for now since the wait list email said that last year nearly all wait listed applicants made it in. Apparently I'm approximately half way down the list. 

I got my OT wait list email on the 23rd (?) of April. 

I thought they would start moving the wait list yesterday, but I decided to call in today since I haven't heard anything. It turns out the wait list has not moved at all for now, and will start moving in June or July according to the lady I spoke to. I'm keeping high hopes for now since the wait list email said that last year nearly all wait listed applicants made it in. Apparently I'm approximately half way down the list. 

You can ask them your approximate rank? :0 I called them today too and she said the same thing, but I found it weird since a couple of people here have said that they had declined and someone else had a mid-May acceptance.

I bet they're getting a lot of calls, but I couldn't resist and ended up calling too...I am about 2/3 down the waiting list =/ Last year, my friend got into OT off the waiting list, but didn't find out until August 13th, so I'm keeping my hopes up!

So what about those of us who haven't heard anything yet? Does that mean I have no chance at all?

As mentioned already, Michelle said they probably won't use the waiting list until June/July, which I'm assuming means they're still making offers to other people, so if you haven't heard anything yet I wouldn't give up! Also, last year I got my rejection letter on May 12th so that may also be a good sign if you haven't heard anything so they haven't rejected you thus far. Do you mind me asking for your sGPA and extra curriculars? Maybe we can compare and see your chances.

I bet they're getting a lot of calls, but I couldn't resist and ended up calling too...I am about 2/3 down the waiting list =/ Last year, my friend got into OT off the waiting list, but didn't find out until August 13th, so I'm keeping my hopes up!

As mentioned already, Michelle said they probably won't use the waiting list until June/July, which I'm assuming means they're still making offers to other people, so if you haven't heard anything yet I wouldn't give up! Also, last year I got my rejection letter on May 12th so that may also be a good sign if you haven't heard anything so they haven't rejected you thus far. Do you mind me asking for your sGPA and extra curriculars? Maybe we can compare and see your chances.

Woops sorry. My GPA is a 3.6 which I know is fairly low for this program. But I've spent the past year working as a Kin at a multidisciinary clinic with physios, OTs, and an ortho surgeon. I've shadowed job site assessments, FCE's, and have done a ton of. Functional ability evaluations as well as custom knee bracing. I was really hoping my experience would boost my application but I suppose lots of other applicants have similar experience :(

Woops sorry. My GPA is a 3.6 which I know is fairly low for this program. But I've spent the past year working as a Kin at a multidisciinary clinic with physios, OTs, and an ortho surgeon. I've shadowed job site assessments, FCE's, and have done a ton of. Functional ability evaluations as well as custom knee bracing. I was really hoping my experience would boost my application but I suppose lots of other applicants have similar experience :(

Hm, I wouldn't lose hope just yet! Obviously this is just my personal opinion and I have no idea how they're evaluating our applications, but just know that I was wait listed with a ~3.53 sGPA. I have over 4 years experience working with children with ASD in various capacities (currently carry out IPPs set out by OTs, SLPs, behaviourists), 2 years of respite care with a young girl with global developmental delay, executive member (including president position) on an ASD student group at my university including organizing a couple of interdisciplinary conferences for ASD, a few internships again relating to ASD...etc. Just as a side note, I also got my Bachelor of Science in Psychology at the U of A so I'm not sure if they favour U of A grads or anything like that!

You definitely have the experience (much different from mine at least) and your GPA is higher, so don't give up =)

Interesting that they aren't using the waiting list at all yet...so I wonder why they don't just wait until all the offers are made to create the waitlist.

That's what I've been confused about as well. Their site says after all the offers are made by ~June a waiting list is created, but those on the wait list were notified in late April after the first round of admissions were sent out...

That's what I've been confused about as well. Their site says after all the offers are made by ~June a waiting list is created, but those on the wait list were notified in late April after the first round of admissions were sent out...

Yeah! I think I might try to call and ask them to clarify how the process works

Archived