Premed 101 Forums

U Of T Dentistry Class Of 2019 Wait-List Thread

To ease the fears/anxiety or whatever struggle you may be going through, here is the stats from previous years :)

Year - Total offers - Waitlist offers (IP)

2014 - 122 - 26
2013 -  ?? - 25 (Increased the seat to 96)
2012 - 84 - 19
2011 - 83 - 19
2010 - 89 - 25
2009 - 91 - 27
2008 - 90 - 26
2007 - 104 - 40
2006 - 88 - 24
2005 - 99 - 35

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I emailed the admissions office and asked them how many OOP waitlist spots end up getting in each year, and here's the reply I got:

"We usually get through the entire out of province waitlist as it is very small.

Respectfully yours,

Admissions Office

Faculty of Dentistry

University of Toronto"

This is good news, obviously. But, we'll have to wait and see! :)

I hope that this is true because that made me very happy !! I thought i had no chance HAHA

With only 96 spots and maximum of 10% OOP, doesn't that mean maximum of 10 OOP accepted? So if the waitlist is at least 7 people, that means like pretty much everyone accepted OOP declined their offers... which doesn't seem right?? 

That could be true but it could also mean that one person declined and some people in the wait list declined as well?

But yah I agree, intuitively it doesn't make much sense  :huh:

With only 96 spots and maximum of 10% OOP, doesn't that mean maximum of 10 OOP accepted? So if the waitlist is at least 7 people, that means like pretty much everyone accepted OOP declined their offers... which doesn't seem right?? 

I agree completely with you. It doesn't seem right. But 666 may be right. It is possible that people on the waitlist decline as well? Maybe I'll respond and ask them again...

Yes, this is true. I am #17, but only 7 people need to decline their spot for me to get accepted. Keep in mind that some OOP applicants have applied elsewhere and may opt to go somewhere closer to home. I have an interview at UWO and had both dentistry and medicine interviews at the U of A. I'm sure there are others who have had multiple interviews as well. So just like the in province waitlist experiences quite a bit of movement, I'm sure the OOP movement can be quite considerable as well.

Yes, this is true. I am #17, but only 7 people need to decline their spot for me to get accepted. Keep in mind that some OOP applicants have applied elsewhere and may opt to go somewhere closer to home. I have an interview at UWO and had both dentistry and medicine interviews at the U of A. I'm sure there are others who have had multiple interviews as well. So just like the in province waitlist experiences quite a bit of movement, I'm sure the OOP movement can be quite considerable as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much movement until all the other offers from the other schools are out. Hopefully there is a lot of people that choose to opt for their in province schools. I'm on a shaky boat since U of T was my only interview  :lol:

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much movement until all the other offers from the other schools are out. Hopefully there is a lot of people that choose to opt for their in province schools. I'm on a shaky boat since U of T was my only interview  :lol:

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed that it moves at least 6 spots  :). But I'm really hoping it moves 7 because I don't have a whole lot of confidence about my chances elsewhere.

So I sent another email asking for clarification. Here's the response:

"We have nine spots available for out of province students each year. Usually we get through the entire out of province waitlist which has 7 people in it. However, there is no guarantee we will this year as movement on the waitlist list varies from year to year."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived