Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you mean you would also choose Calgary over UBC?  ;)

Hey guys!

Just got the news today I was rejected by the U of A (wasn't going to attend regardless, since I would choose Calgary over it)

I thought I did fairly well at my U of A MMI, definitely better than my U of C one. The MMI at U of C is worth 50 while at the U of A is is worth 30. My U of A MMI score is laughable. My pre-interview scores at U of A were quite strong

The point I am trying to make is that you never know what is going to happen, and don't beat yourself up based on the result this Friday. Persistence will pay off in the end. Worst case scenario, the biggest advice I can give is to start building an alternate career in the mean time if you feel you are getting "late", or explore other options (USMD etc.). That is the only thing that gave me peace of mind this year

Best of luck everyone :)

Yup I sure think so. The questions at Calgary/Alberta IMO weren't THAT different in style

In that podcast on the MMI by Dr Ian Walker, he said something along the lines of there is no right or wrong answer to a question and difficult to predict what we are ACTUALLY looking for. E.g. The interviewer might be taking one side but wanting to see how well you defend the other. So its difficult to know what personality to show, other than being genuine.

In that podcast on the MMI by Dr Ian Walker, he said something along the lines of there is no right or wrong answer to a question and difficult to predict what we are ACTUALLY looking for. E.g. The interviewer might be taking one side but wanting to see how well you defend the other. So its difficult to know what personality to show, other than being genuine.

yeah I completely believe this.

Did you mean you would also choose Calgary over UBC?  ;)

It is up in the air right now. If I get VFMP I am not too sure what I will choose (would prefer Calgary over Kelowna/PG/Island)

Just to clarify: does 2016/2017 means one more cycle (this coming cycle) or 2 more cycles? :rolleyes:

The current cycle(for which we are waiting on results) is the 2014/2015 cycle, so that would mean 2 more cycles (the 2015/2016 - class of 2020, and the 2016/2017- class of 2021)

Someone correct me if i misread it!

But if you write the new one, they'll discard your old one even if its higher, eh?

Bummer, I pretty much need to re-write since the only interviews I got this cycle were Alberta schools, but I really don't like to throw away my 35 :(

But if you write the new one, they'll discard your old one even if its higher, eh?

Bummer, I pretty much need to re-write since the only interviews I got this cycle were Alberta schools, but I really don't like to throw away my 35 :(

Yeah, I contemplated to write the new one just for CARS and apply to Mac, but that idea went out the window as I don't have the time nor desire to rewrite the whole MCAT when i have an okay score already for UBC anyways...though maybe rewriting and going for a high 30s may be worth it to make up for the low AQ...I don't know.

Almost Friday :)

Yeah, don't rewrite it until it is expired in 2017. You can still apply UBC & Ontario Schools. When will they get rid of MCAT? :rolleyes: Some schools don't even look at it. PCAT is not required for pharmacy application now.

Yeah, don't rewrite it until it is expired in 2017. You can still apply UBC & Ontario Schools. When will they get rid of MCAT? :rolleyes: Some schools don't even look at it. PCAT is not required for pharmacy application now.

Hah, it's a bit of a gamble either way, but considering I didn't get any interviews at UBC or Ontario schools this cycle, I think the lesser gamble will be re-writing and hoping again for an interview at Calgary and Alberta

Hey jfdes I'm in the same boat. I was rooting for you to get in this cycle. Did you get interviews previously at Ontario schools or UBC?

Thanks, always nice to have support :)

I have yet to ever receive an interview from UBC (been really close every time I've applied, but no dice), but I did receive an interview to McMaster last cycle. I think that has to do with my fluke 13 verbal score, which will also go away if I re-write the MCAT - McMaster will only look at your latest MCAT when evaluating your application. Still though, I didn't get an interview this year and CASPER has been hit and miss for me, so my best bet is still to probably go for Alberta schools (I think).

Thanks, always nice to have support :)

I have yet to ever receive an interview from UBC (been really close every time I've applied, but no dice), but I did receive an interview to McMaster last cycle. I think that has to do with my fluke 13 verbal score, which will also go away if I re-write the MCAT - McMaster will only look at your latest MCAT when evaluating your application. Still though, I didn't get an interview this year and CASPER has been hit and miss for me, so my best bet is still to probably go for Alberta schools (I think).

I hope you get in this cycle at UBC then :)  and then you don't have to worry about retaking the MCAT for Alberta.

But if that doesn't work out, it's going to be a tough call. Sometimes I think, "man these other applicants are so awesome and have all these options" but when it comes down to it, everyone has their own set of problems and worries that they need to deal with. Regardless of the "grass is greener" syndrome!

You rock jfdes, and not only because I adore Calvin and Hobbes :D 

I hope you get in this cycle at UBC then :)  and then you don't have to worry about retaking the MCAT for Alberta.

But if that doesn't work out, it's going to be a tough call. Sometimes I think, "man these other applicants are so awesome and have all these options" but when it comes down to it, everyone has their own set of problems and worries that they need to deal with. Regardless of the "grass is greener" syndrome!

You rock jfdes, and not only because I adore Calvin and Hobbes :D

Ah, I suppose its a bit confusing since I post here so frequently, but I didn't actually get an interview at UBC this cycle (I just really like talking to all of you :) ). I'm all done for this year.

You rock as well, and not only because my old picture used to be of SSJ2 Gohan :P 

Ah, I suppose its a bit confusing since I post here so frequently, but I didn't actually get an interview at UBC this cycle (I just really like talking to all of you :) ). I'm all done for this year.

You rock as well, and not only because my old picture used to be of SSJ2 Gohan :P

Ah sorry, that was my mistake - I made the wrong assumption! With that said then, I suppose the decisions are already being made in your head as to the direction you'll be heading. 

I'm always available via PM if you just want a random person to provide an objective opinion from an arms length.  

:) Myself and Goku joked that it would have been great if your trend caught on, and we suddenly saw more characters jumped on board.

I did poorly this school year, which puts even more pressure on me to get in this cycle. Ah I can't handle this

Referring to the admission requirement, they will consider to withdraw the offer if the total GPA average (including this school year) drops more than 5% after the offer is provided, that is normally hard to happen for the applicant unless really really bad scores. Don't worry. You should be fine. :) While it may impact the next cycle application slightly.

Archived