Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a 62 TFL score, 38 on NAQ and 24.5 on AQ - I got a below average on the interview though - do I have hope if I can achieve an above average score on the interview next year?

Something very weird happened with my interview group. Every single person from my circuit was rejected with below interview score. I dont know what this might imply.

I guess it was just bad luck this cycle. Not saying my performance was exceptional but its some consolation.

Having spoken to prior MMI interviewers/markers and whether people want to admit it or not, chance/luck plays a pretty big factor in the MMI. Is your evaluator having a good/bad day goes a long way. 

Having spoken to prior MMI interviewers/markers and whether people want to admit it or not, chance/luck plays a pretty big factor in the MMI. Is your evaluator having a good/bad day goes a long way.

It would take a lot more than 1 evaluator having a bad day to reject an entire circuit.

Also, I would hope that they look at the interview stats and see if someone is giving universally bad scores.

removed; not going to get into an argument. Luck definitely plays a role. I know someone who has been an interviewer before and he says during their workshops, evaluators give far from consistent scores to sample applicants (video). People who get in on their first try seem to think they have perfect personalities which is far from the truth

It would take a lot more than 1 evaluator having a bad day to reject an entire circuit.

Also, I would hope that they look at the interview stats and see if someone is giving universally bad scores.

Yeah that is true, not what I was trying to say. Seems very weird that everyone in that circuit didn't get in.

removed; not going to get into an argument. Luck definitely plays a role. I know someone who has been an interviewer before and he says during their workshops, evaluators give far from consistent scores to sample applicants (video). People who get in on their first try seem to think they have perfect personalities which is far from the truth

Uh what? People think they have 'perfect personalities'? That's a bit rude and seems like an attack on those disagreeing with you.

I'm not saying interviewers all give the same scores. Obviously not. The point of an MMI is that multiple independent stations increases reliability and decreases the luck aspect that is present with one interviewer.

Also, the point was that it would take more than an interviewer having a bad day to reject an ENTIRE circuit.

Luck is very much so present in the process, i'm not sure anyone is saying otherwise.  As someone who fits the category of your last sentence, I'd laugh at anyone who would hold that sentiment of having a "perfect x y z" for any aspect of the process, just because they got in. No one is perfect, regardless of how high achieving one may be. Humbleness is a desirable trait.

I think amichel made a good point that it would take more than just 1 interviewer to result in a whole circuit getting below average interview scores. 

Uh what? People think they have 'perfect personalities'? That's a bit rude and seems like an attack on those disagreeing with you.

I'm not saying interviewers all give the same scores. Obviously not. The point of an MMI is that multiple independent stations increases reliability and decreases the luck aspect that is present with one interviewer.

Also, the point was that it would take more than an interviewer having a bad day to reject an ENTIRE circuit.

You should remember that interviews are competitive. Considering they say you can blow one or two stations and still get accepted, if you are handicapped with only being 'allowed' to blow one station because of a difficult interviewer at the other station, that can definitely lead to an unsuccessful application. Even though we would like to say it is a fair all around process, the fact of the matter is, it isnt. Although they do their best to make it as fair as possible, it is impossible for it to be completely fair. 

And this goes along with the application as well. No matter what they do there will always be a bias aspect to the process. If you compare two students, one from a poor background, the other from a wealthy, supportive one, the latter will obviously have a big big advantage. Moreoever, UBC sadly doesnt consider your background entirely - if they did they wouldnt of gotten rid of the Biographical Essay. You cant describe your life story in a 350 character NAQ box (or 500 character additional info box), at least not at the level it deserves. I would of loved to explain many aspects of my life that have contributed toward my ability to emphasize with physicians, however the form just doesn't give you that opportunity. 

You should remember that interviews are competitive. Considering they say you can blow one or two stations and still get accepted, if you are handicapped with only being 'allowed' to blow one station because of a difficult interviewer at the other station, that can definitely lead to an unsuccessful application. Even though we would like to say it is a fair all around process, the fact of the matter is, it isnt. Although they do their best to make it as fair as possible, it is impossible for it to be completely fair.

And this goes along with the application as well. No matter what they do there will always be a bias aspect to the process. If you compare two students, one from a poor background, the other from a wealthy, supportive one, the latter will obviously have a big big advantage. Moreoever, UBC sadly doesnt consider your background entirely - if they did they wouldnt of gotten rid of the Biographical Essay. You cant describe your life story in a 350 character NAQ box (or 500 character additional info box), at least not at the level it deserves. I would of loved to explain many aspects of my life that have contributed toward my ability to emphasize with physicians, however the form just doesn't give you that opportunity.

What? I don't really disagree with you but almost none of this is at all related to my post that you quoted.

I never said the interviews were entirely fair. I said that MMIs were MORE fair, because there are more chances to impress, or not. Your point is valid but doesn't disprove mine. In a single interview situation and interviewer having a bad day would completely eliminate your chances, whereas in the MMI it just decreases them.

Also, I don't think an interviewer having a bad day is equivalent to blowing a station. The former might be 1-2 point difference while the latter would be almost the entirety of the points for that station

If everyone was friends, is it possible that many of the answers given were very similar. Maybe everyone did some preparation together?

Could be that that group of 12 interviewed below the average of the rest of those interviewed. Seems logically possible for sure.

Haha this reminded me of my own interview. In one station, my interviewer was so disappointed in my terrible answer that she simply said "Oh good the bell has gone.. you can stop talking now.." in a very sarcastic tone. Thank god for 10 stations! 

Haha this reminded me of my own interview. In one station, my interviewer was so disappointed in my terrible answer that she simply said "Oh good the bell has gone.. you can stop talking now.." in a very sarcastic tone. Thank god for 10 stations!

Lol are you serious? Was it one of the first or last stations for you?

Archived