Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

Lol are you serious? Was it one of the first or last stations for you?

It was in the middle actually. It was so bad... I just shook hands and walked away thinking "hoooookay. next".  This is why I think UBC probably drops your worst and your best stations. 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was in the middle actually. It was so bad... I just shook hands and walked away thinking "hoooookay. next". This is why I think UBC probably drops your worst and your best stations.

Haha, I'm glad to hear it still worked out!

They did actually post recently saying they don't drop your best and worst stations. However, with 11 stations plus the writing station, you still could have had a good score and then gotten in with all the other relevant factors (MCAT, GPA, etc). Although we can only speculate, as who really knows!

I think we all had a few stations that make us cringe when thinking back, but it doesn't matter now haha

It's funny how it works. When you get in, you're like "oh well...I guess that screw-up wasn't too bad". But when you get rejected, you're thinking "shit...I knew that 1 station would've killed me". 

I think we all had a few stations that make us cringe when thinking back, but it doesn't matter now haha

Hi Fleming. Your record of getting into all schools on the first day is legendary. Have you thought about perhaps sharing your tips of interview preparation? :)

Hi Fleming. Your record of getting into all schools on the first day is legendary. Have you thought about perhaps sharing your tips of interview preparation? :)

I hadn't, but if that's something people would be interested in, I'll think about throwing something together. I don't know that I have any groundbreaking secrets, but I'll jot some ideas down and see if the result is worthy of its own thread.

I hadn't, but if that's something people would be interested in, I'll think about throwing something together. I don't know that I have any groundbreaking secrets, but I'll jot some ideas down and see if the result is worthy of its own thread.

yeah, would like to hear about it. Was it your first attempt?

Other rejectees out there - an applicant and I from last years interviews are putting together a group of around 20 applicants to practice for next years interview. Id like to make it a regular get-together whereby we practice for an hour or so and give eachother feedback/support. We havnt panned out the specifics yet, but once we have enough people we can set up a doodle poll to find the day that works best.  

Send me a PM if interested, cheers

I believe that interview scores are standardized too in some way or form, so someone who systematically gives out lower scores will be adjusted for

A former interviewer told me that once an interviewee has finished all the stations, the highest and lowest marks are thrown out...but this was a while ago and they may have changed their marking system now

From the ubc admissions blog comments:

RMFebruary 16, 2015 at 10:57 pmPermalink | Reply

I have attended the interview at UBC, and appreciate the nicely organized event. Do you disclose whether you include grades of all stations in the final score calculation, or do you drop the worst/best stations? Thanks!

Admissions February 18, 2015 at 1:13 pmPermalink | Reply

Thank you for participating in the interview. Scores are standardized and we do not drop scores for the best/worst stations.

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2015/01/26/interviews-timing-and-talking/#comments

Archived