Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't necessarily say "fairer" since the NAQ portion seems to be much more subjective and unpredictable. But again, it will never be perfect.

That's true, no system is ever perfect. I personally appreciate UBC's shift in at least giving us non 4.0's a chance to fight for an interview. 

8 more days to see how it translates out post-interview though.

Do you mind if I ask: Did they get in at the end as OOPs?

The two people I know who got 4 OOP interviews are still waiting. Actually, one of those interviews for one of those guys was at Calgary, but I haven't talked to him since the 20th.

That's true, no system is ever perfect. I personally appreciate UBC's shift in at least giving us non 4.0's a chance to fight for an interview. 

8 more days to see how it translates out post-interview though.

Even though its negatively affected me, the standardization of AQ/NAQ has probably led to a better matriculant quality for UBC (although of course its hard to say without a few years to go by).

They now seem to be selecting for more mature (though not necessarily older), seasoned individuals with a greater breadth of life experience. These people may not make the high cutoffs needed to apply OOP, but they probably kill the interview. That's personally why I think the IP waitlist is trending toward lesser (<10)  movement.

Hahaha frieza vs the spirit bomb is analagous to me vs med admissions.

Question: In the blog post it says that in the later rounds, people would only have one day to respond to an offer. Has it always been like that? One day only?

Just curious in case I'm out of town on a trip or something

Well, hope we all get in, in the first place :)        It's kind of a sad thought when you think about it, i tend to wish those i interact with good luck on their respective journeys, but truth be told a large amount aren't accepted - and it could be any one of us. :( 

Good vibes all around.

Well, hope we all get in, in the first place :)        It's kind of a sad thought when you think about it, i tend to wish those i interact with good luck on their respective journeys, but truth be told a large amount aren't accepted - and it could be any one of us. :( 

Good vibes all around.

655 were interviewed. 288 of 655 will be selected. It is about 1 out of 2.27. So it is not that bad. :)

I already mentally prepared myself for rejection. Making plans for September. I'm not as competitive as the other OOPs in any way.

I ever heard a true story from Ontario medschool thread. There was a rejected applicant, who already moved on new plan in September, was called back because there was someone who withdrew the offer when the school started. -_-  :wub:

I already mentally prepared myself for rejection. Making plans for September. I'm not as competitive as the other OOPs in any way.

I feel the same way about my IP peers and all you OOP ones as well...but we still have to have some hope and optimism. You never know if the committee sees a special something in your application - or you said something during the interview that really caught someone's attention in a good way. 

"It ain't over, till it's over" - some protagonist from an action movie.

From what I've seen, I think interview trumps all for UBC (by a lot). One of my friends last year (IP) had a 37 MCAT, flawless GPA, published papers, varsity athlete, very active in his community but he scored a "Below average" on his interview and was rejected. Another friend had a 3.6 GPA, 26 MCAT, felt great walking out of his interview and was accepted.

If you are a strong/weak candidate pre-interview I don't think it will factor TOO much.

From what I've seen, I think interview trumps all for UBC (by a lot). One of my friends last year (IP) had a 37 MCAT, flawless GPA, published papers, varsity athlete, very active in his community but he scored a "Below average" on his interview and was rejected. Another friend had a 3.6 GPA, 26 MCAT, felt great walking out of his interview and was accepted.

If you are a strong/weak candidate pre-interview I don't think it will factor TOO much.

I agree. This seems to only have started last year too

How did your A friend feel about his interview?

I agree.

It does seem like UBC is trying to improve its admissions processes to increase the chances that they will create better doctors in the end. Being a doctor does require intelligence/good grades of course, but it seems like schools like University of Toronto and UBC are now understanding that it takes a lot more than that. Research, extracurrics, volunteer, and people skills are extremely important.  I think that's also why UofT has a separate review process for grad students (allowing for a lower grad GPA) and values research/extracurric/volunteer (as demonstrated by them requiring the essay component), to try to attract excellent well-rounded potential doctors/clinicians to their school.

Basically, you have to be an awesome person overall :P 

Same here man.. can't really count on OOP acceptances.. specially as you said when you know your application is no where near the others (like myself)

How did your A friend feel about his interview?

He thought it wasn't good but wasn't bad; the exact same way I felt the last 2 cycles. This year I had a good feeling walking out of like 7 stations, so we'll see if interview feelings correlate to anything :)

PS: They usually don't

I'm in the same boat -- OOP applicant, UBC being my only interview. I've been accepted to a few Master of Public Health programmes as a backup, but I want to be accepted by UBC more than anything. I've never been so close to achieving my lifelong goal before...Fingers crossed that those of us in this situation are accepted next week!

He thought it wasn't good but wasn't bad; the exact same way I felt the last 2 cycles. This year I had a good feeling walking out of like 7 stations, so we'll see if interview feelings correlate to anything :)

PS: They usually don't

I guess the accuracy of correlation also depends on the kind of feelings you are comparing it with: your expectation of a flaw less interview, comparison with your friends or just the general gut feeling based on answers & interviewers reactions.

My perception of how well I did changes daily, some days I feel I nailed it, others I bombed it. Torture <_< .

Archived