Premed 101 Forums

May 4Th Support Thread

Since the other schools have one, I wanted to make one for UofA! The day for decisions is approaching much faster than I thought it would .... it'll be only two weeks before we get dat email.

How are you guys doing? Any anxiety from the deadline approaching? I'm coping with my anxiety by studying for the new MCAT :rolleyes:

(P.S. - registration for the July/August MCAT seats open up this Tuesday, April 21st)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to be studying for the MCAT when acceptances are sent out, if only to be able to make a dramatic gesture by closing my books and throwing them out.

HAHAHA nice! i left mine in the original packaging and have the Kijiji ad ready to post if i get in or a knife to rip the box open when i dont get in. 

I was rejected from Calgary, turns out I threw away a 90something percentile preMMI score for a 10something MMI score  :wacko:  It was my first time ever doing an MMI but I feel like my style at Calgary and Alberta was very similar... I felt pretty relaxed and spoke my mind at each station but apparently I failed to express a lot of insight/empathy/ critical thinking that the majority of other interviewees were able to... Doesn't give me much hope for Alberta, HOW WILL I COPE WITH THESE WEEKS

I know someone that went through something almost identical last year. Strong pre-MMI, got wrecked by the interview.

It happens. Perhaps your group was particularly strong or the interviewers were biased against you in some way. Alberta is a little different in how applicants are rated- its more of a general rating rather than specific points for an attribute. They're fundamentally examining different things and while it may sound cliche, the quote "if the school wants you, they'll take you." seems to hold true.

I was rejected from Calgary, turns out I threw away a 90something percentile preMMI score for a 10something MMI score  :wacko:  It was my first time ever doing an MMI but I feel like my style at Calgary and Alberta was very similar... I felt pretty relaxed and spoke my mind at each station but apparently I failed to express a lot of insight/empathy/ critical thinking that the majority of other interviewees were able to... Doesn't give me much hope for Alberta, HOW WILL I COPE WITH THESE WEEKS

I'm in a pretty similar situation. I felt my style was very similar for both schools (and actually felt pretty decent walking out of both interviews), but got absolutely demolished on the Calgary interview. 

I've already registered for the MCAT in August >.>

The good news is that the interview is the easiest aspect of your Med School application to improve. Keep working at it and you'll get in! 

Haa, I find it to be the most difficult actually. GPA and ECs will definitely get better with time, but interview really depends on who you are as a person, and its so hard to say exactly what attributes will make you better at interviewing.

Does Alberta over invite like Calgary does? I'd imagine they'd have to if their direct competition does, but I've never seen any discussion on it...

Could you expand on that a little bit? I'm not actually familiar with this practice.

I know someone that went through something almost identical last year. Strong pre-MMI, got wrecked by the interview.

It happens. Perhaps your group was particularly strong or the interviewers were biased against you in some way. Alberta is a little different in how applicants are rated- its more of a general rating rather than specific points for an attribute. They're fundamentally examining different things and while it may sound cliche, the quote "if the school wants you, they'll take you." seems to hold true.

Wasn't the interview also around 30% last year? Pre-MMI might not have been that strong in that case - although I don't know what the average file score needed to get in is.

Could you expand on that a little bit? I'm not actually familiar with this practice.

Calgary has fairly good statistics on how many offers are usually declined, so they make a few extra offers to ensure that they are able to attract as many top candidates as they can initially, many of which probably received offers from other schools. Dr. Walker has confirmed this, although has not gone into specifics.

As an example, if they historically make around 210 offers to Albertans and 60 offers to non-Albertans (they have about 155 seats), they may accept 160 Albertans and 40 non-Albertans in the initial round knowing that many will be rejecting them.

After the last final exam of my B.Sc. on April 20th, I've absolved myself of all responsibilities and have just been relaxing. It enabled me to forget about the May 4th deadline for a while, so I haven't been too nervous recently.

To all graduates this year, regardless if you get accepted to med school or not this cycle, finishing our bachelor's degrees is a big achievement in itself... we should all be proud of our accomplishments, whatever the outcome on May 4th  :D

Archived