Premed 101 Forums

Mmi And Adhd

m4r5h4l

'Tis me again (I feel like Premed101 should have the RES feature where you tag people because I'll be 'ADHD kid', but I digress). I've looked around Premed101, but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate place to put this otherwise, so I'll put it here. 

I've been asked for a MMI at the Michener Institute for Radiation Therapy, and it's in 2 weeks. I've gone over some questions with a friend (I wonder if he'll see this), but every single time we've done a question, it's similar to how I write my essays without computer accommodation; my thoughts bounce from one thing to another and it doesn't seem like my thoughts are conjoint. 

I receive accommodation through my university right now. I was wondering if anyone has had/known someone who has used accommodation for an MMI, or knows if it is available in the first place. Or if not, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to go through the MMI, especially if you're ADHD like myself  :)

Congratulations on getting an interview!

What sort of accommodation do you think would help? It sounds like having a piece of paper to organize your thoughts might not be enough?

I know med schools seem to be pretty unforgiving when it comes to accommodations. Hopefully Michener might be more reasonable. There is a balance that needs to be struck with these things in my opinion. Some of my old profs have expressed frustration with people seemingly "faking" ADHD to get more time on exams. On law school exams, more time automatically means higher marks for a person without ADHD.

You sound genuine though. I'm just pointing this out because this is what you are up against. It's similar to how people go to restaurants and say they are allergic to food that they don't like. Then the people with real allergies suffer because they are less likely to be taken seriously.

You should call as soon as possible and make inquiries.

I am not ADHD myself, but my thoughts do bounce around a lot! I think I am okay at organizing my thoughts when I speak though. I have picked up lots of tips from my peers along the way.

Can you be more specific about how you approach a problem and jump around? Maybe people will have tips on how to trouble shoot.

What sort of accommodation do you think would help? It sounds like having a piece of paper to organize your thoughts might not be enough?

Thank you  :) It was actually a big deal getting it (I'm not going to go into the whole ADHD cycle of inadequacy thing, that's another story in itself). 

I actually just want a piece of paper or a notebook that will help me organize my thoughts. However, I myself hate when people use notes for a presentation and I feel like using paper for an MMI might be frowned upon, especially by the interviewers. 

You sound genuine though. I'm just pointing this out because this is what you are up against. It's similar to how people go to restaurants and say they are allergic to food that they don't like. Then the people with real allergies suffer because they are less likely to be taken seriously.

You should call as soon as possible and make inquiries.

I completely understand. I know that ADHD is still something that many people cannot comprehend and feel that the accommodation that I get and use are giving me an advantage that they don't have. I've e-mailed them, and hope to hear back from them soon in terms of any accommodation. 

I am not ADHD myself, but my thoughts do bounce around a lot! I think I am okay at organizing my thoughts when I speak though. I have picked up lots of tips from my peers along the way.

Can you be more specific about how you approach a problem and jump around? Maybe people will have tips on how to trouble shoot.

I was doing practice questions with a friend and during the two minutes I was given to think, I would think of something, think of some other things and pretty much instantly forget the first couple things I've thought of. However, during the actual 'answer' period, I would start off with one point, but in my head I would suddenly remember another point and go into that. It pretty much turns into me jumping from A to C to D to B then back to A, and as a result end up blabbering and going "um", "uh", etc.

If you need to use that piece of paper that's provided, use the piece of paper. Many people used paper for notes at the MMI I attended this year. If writing a brief series of words, etc. allows you to collect and present your thoughts in a more organized manner, then use that tool. Formulating a relatively coherent response using a piece of paper will do more for you than being less coherent without a piece of paper. I'd remove your perception of judgment from this scenario--the paper is provided to you for a reason. Do your best!

If you need to use that piece of paper that's provided, use the piece of paper. Many people used paper for notes at the MMI I attended this year. If writing a brief series of words, etc. allows you to collect and present your thoughts in a more organized manner, then use that tool. Formulating a relatively coherent response using a piece of paper will do more for you than being less coherent without a piece of paper. I'd remove your perception of judgment from this scenario--the paper is provided to you for a reason. Do your best!

I think I've got to do more research because I didn't know paper would be provided. I thought I'd have to bring in a little notebook or something. I'm more worried about the interviewer's perception of me using the paper; maybe he'll view it poorly or something.

And thank you! I'm nervous and scared, but excited.

I don't think having some paper in front of you is as bad as you think. If it's normally not allowed, they will understand that it is an accommodation.

When I go to court, I try to only reference my notes or to write things down without interfering with the flow of my submissions. But, this is a skill that take years for anyone to master, ADHD or not. When I am finished, I usually ask the judge to give me a moment to review my notes. I can't forget to hit a point before I sit down, so no one really bats an eyelash at this.

So just to explain to you that having notes isn't as bad as you think.

If you could write down your main points in the 2 minutes before the station, could you go from one point to the next by using this list as a prompt?

Archived