Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlist Support Thread

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uggghhhh...I'm gonna have to register for the MCAT now. End of May is too far awayyyyy.

tell me about it! 

The way i look at it is that we are good enough, but it might not be this year. 

Im going to register for MCAT and prep course and act as if i got rejected, that way I will not be disappointed by a rejection. 

But honestly, look at us. We went from talking dream, to GPA, to talking MCAT, to talking application, to interview. And now wether we got rejected or waitlisted, its still a major accomplishment. 

Can we see our scores soon or do we have to wait until the wait list period is over?

"Further, as your application is still active, your scores for the admissions process will not be available on-line until sometime after the first day of classes." from the email we got 

Checking in as well. I have gathered quite a bit of knowledge about the UofA waitlist but none for UofC. Does anyone know how many people (approx) are waitlisted? And since UofC sends more invites than the number of spots, how has the movement been in the past couple years? 35-70% is way too broad!

Checking in as well. I have gathered quite a bit of knowledge about the UofA waitlist but none for UofC. Does anyone know how many people (approx) are waitlisted? And since UofC sends more invites than the number of spots, how has the movement been in the past couple years? 35-70% is way too broad!

On the UofC MD Admissions Twitter, it says 40%-80% chance. from the email, 35%-70% and then looking back to previous years stats, I would say that ~100 people are waitlisted.

2014: last year 245 offers (200 initial, 45 from waitlist; if its 100 waitlistees, then 45%)

2013: the year before 279 offers (200 initial, 79 from waitlist; if its 100 waitlistees, then 79%)

so to break it down:

536 Interviewed 

200 Offered

~100 waitlisted (by my guesstimation) 

~236 Rejected (by my guesstimation)

Also, given that it was an extra competitive year, I assume that the people who made it so much more competitive got interviews in other schools, and will most likely accept them over Calgary ( 3years vs. 4years ). 

That being said, I believe we may be seeing the high end (maybe ~55%+) of waitlist movement/percent accepted

What kind of knowledge do you have on the Alberta waitlist?

Waitlisted as well? 

Yes. Grateful to still be in the running and hoping my nerves are up to another 5'ish weeks of waiting lol.

Any speculation on the amount of WL movement this year?

45 ppl vs. 2014

79 ppl vs 2013

Where will 2015 fall?  How will this ever-increasing trend of solid applicants affect things?  Accepted applicants still have until May 29th to decide, but will this 5-week decision time ultimately affect the accept/decline ratio?  Because UofA is also releasing earlier than usual, does that mean to expect WL offers earlier as well?  Are other large med schools also releasing early (UBC, McMaster, etc...) ???

Yes. Grateful to still be in the running and hoping my nerves are up to another 5'ish weeks of waiting lol.

Any speculation on the amount of WL movement this year?

45 ppl vs. 2014

79 ppl vs 2013

Where will 2015 fall?  How will this ever-increasing trend of solid applicants affect things?  Accepted applicants still have until May 29th to decide, but will this 5-week decision time ultimately affect the accept/decline ratio?  Because UofA is also releasing earlier than usual, does that mean to expect WL offers earlier as well?  Are other large med schools also releasing early (UBC, McMaster, etc...) ???

Hey HeHeBunny, 

I called UofC Admissions office about this, and Adelle assured me that they intend on letting us know ASAP, and making this as easy as possible on us. What does that mean? It means that if a bunch of people start declining earlier than May 29th, then we will be informed immediately If a position is available, HOWEVER, the majority of wait list offers will be sent out on the 29th. 

HOWEVER, the majority of wait list offers will be sent out on the 29th. 

Is this because you/they anticipate most people will wait until the last moment to decline or just let the time expire as they accepted elsewhere?

If they are going to start offering immediately, I don't see any other reason why the 29th is special and would see the most movement... Infact, Id think that the days immediately following May 4th (UofA) and May 15 (UBC) would see the most movement as people accept those schools over UofC  (and would presumably let UofC know right away that they no longer need their admission offer)

Is this because you/they anticipate most people will wait until the last moment to decline or just let the time expire as they accepted elsewhere?

If they are going to start offering immediately, I don't see any other reason why the 29th is special and would see the most movement... Infact, Id think that the days immediately following May 4th (UofA) and May 15 (UBC) would see the most movement as people accept those schools over UofC  (and would presumably let UofC know right away that they no longer need their admission offer)

I do think its because of people waiting till last day. Also keep in mind, if say 40 people decline from the 200 offered, thats 160 still undecided for only 155 seats, so i don't think right away after the 4th/15th well see movement 

From the UofC Twitter.....well i guess I'm just going to assume rejection for me not to set myself up for disappointment.

Does anyone know how many people accepted this fast last year or the year before? 

Looks like its close to the same amount http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2014/05/19/admission-offer-update-for-the-waitlisters-mostly/

I wonder how many interviewees only received the interview to Calgary...must have been quite a few if 82 have already accepted within three days.

From the UofC Twitter.....well i guess I'm just going to assume rejection for me not to set myself up for disappointment.

Does anyone know how many people accepted this fast last year or the year before? 

- 88 seats (79 Albertans and 9 non-Albertans)

(4 days post-offer)

-45-Waitlisters accepted

- 82 seats

(3 days post-offer)

I don't know if UofA and UBC offers were out at the same time as UofC last year... However, I have a "sneaky suspicion" the 82 seats will increase significantly after UofA and UBC release their offers as ppl are rejected for their #1 choices.

I hate to be pessimistic but I predict an even smaller number of waitlisters being accepted this year. (I just hope i'm wrong...)

- 88 seats (79 Albertans and 9 non-Albertans)

(4 days post-offer)

-45-Waitlisters accepted

- 82 seats

(3 days post-offer)

I don't know if UofA and UBC offers were out at the same time as UofC last year... However, I have a "sneaky suspicion" the 82 seats will increase significantly after UofA and UBC release their offers as ppl are rejected for their #1 choices.

I hate to be pessimistic but I predict an even smaller number of waitlisters being accepted this year. (I just hope i'm wrong...)

You're probably right, but here's the thing for everyone reading this;

we all feel uncertain and hopeless at times because no one knows their ranking not he waitlist, but the fact is some of us, say 35% or ~30+ students, will actually get an offer of admission, maybe more. remember that not only people who got accepted also get accepted to other schools, but people waitlisted as well, which will technically make the list 'shorter'.  

We may see a very low movement on the waitlist, OR we may have no idea and see a much higher than expected movement. 

I've been keeping busy with finals as well as watching Greys Anatomy...what a good show! 

P.S. I just started, please don't ruin it more than my facebook feed has

You're probably right, but here's the thing for everyone reading this;

we all feel uncertain and hopeless at times because no one knows their ranking not he waitlist, but the fact is some of us, say 35% or ~30+ students, will actually get an offer of admission, maybe more. remember that not only people who got accepted also get accepted to other schools, but people waitlisted as well, which will technically make the list 'shorter'.

We may see a very low movement on the waitlist, OR we may have no idea and see a much higher than expected movement.

I've been keeping busy with finals as well as watching Greys Anatomy...what a good show!

P.S. I just started, please don't ruin it more than my facebook feed has

Yah, spoiler wise, you picked a terrible time to start watching haha.

Yah, spoiler wise, you picked a terrible time to start watching haha.

Lool Amichel, and so I unfortunetley hear.

You know its funny, these past three months I've learned so much about the medical field, and have become so much more interested in medicine than i ever have in 4 years of university that i started watching Greys Anatomy at the worst time, when I have two HUGE reports due in a few days....

Archived