Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlist Support Thread

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they still expect some movement in the oop pool but very little in the IP pool, assuming they sent the email to all IP applicants and not just those of us who are at the bottom of the pile.

There is no OOP pool. Everyone's on the same list. They likely just shortened the wait list, and OOPs are statistically more likely to be near the top since they had high preinterveiw scores. That's my guess at least.

Check the comments on the admissions blog. They sent the letter to the bottom 15 I think.

This is the quote for those who got the email along with me...

"What we instead try to do is to be as open with people as possible, and as the WL shrinks, we send emails out to applicants who appear to have only a remote chance of receiving an offer. We sent such an email on Friday to about 15 people. I recognize that this explanation won’t satisfy everyone, unfortunately, but it is the best one I can offer."

This whole application process is so god damn stressful, why couldn't we have been told we're that low on the waitlist when we were first put on the waitlist!? I've been barely able to study for the new MCAT wasting so much time, because I've been sitting around being excited and hopeful like an idiot for something that was never going to happen! Forget the MCAT, I've basically developed insomnia from anxiety of waiting for ' the glorious May 29th offers' to be sent out, for over one month because I was foolishly hopeful. 

It's not a problem of being rejected, it's a problem of being mentally tortured before rejection, when they a almost certain that the last few people will not be accepted this cycle. 

I would have been happier not being told that I'm that low on the waitlist at this stage in the application cycle, because at least not knowing might allow us to have some faith in our selves and tell ourselves that we were so close to making it, maybe even by one rank. 

Very angry at the UofCs' system for waitlist. I really wish I had gotten a straight rejection.

"What we instead try to do is to be as open with people as possible, and as the WL shrinks, we send emails out to applicants who appear to have only a remote chance of receiving an offer. We sent such an email on Friday to about 15 people. I recognize that this explanation won’t satisfy everyone, unfortunately, but it is the best one I can offer."

This whole application process is so god damn stressful, why couldn't we have been told we're that low on the waitlist when we were first put on the waitlist!? I've been barely able to study for the new MCAT wasting so much time, because I've been sitting around being excited and hopeful like an idiot for something that was never going to happen! Forget the MCAT, I've basically developed insomnia from anxiety of waiting for ' the glorious May 29th offers' to be sent out, for over one month because I was foolishly hopeful.

It's not a problem of being rejected, it's a problem of being mentally tortured before rejection, when they a almost certain that the last few people will not be accepted this cycle.

I would have been happier not being told that I'm that low on the waitlist at this stage in the application cycle, because at least not knowing might allow us to have some faith in our selves and tell ourselves that we were so close to making it, maybe even by one rank.

Very angry at the UofCs' system for waitlist. I really wish I had gotten a straight rejection.

You were very close to making it and should feel good about that. They didn't saw low wait list to begin with likely because they have no idea how much it will move, so where should one draw the line?

You were very close to making it and should feel good about that. They didn't saw low wait list to begin with likely because they have no idea how much it will move, so where should one draw the line?

I know what you mean amichel, but it's just frustrating, and would really be nice to at least know from the start, not necessarily your position on the waitlist, but if your in the bottom group. I understand how telling people on the top may be a problem if others try to hack and impersonate them to decline offers. 

Good luck to everyone, I really hope there is some more movement and you guys get a shot to follow your dream!

I know what you mean amichel, but it's just frustrating, and would really be nice to at least know from the start, not necessarily your position on the waitlist, but if your in the bottom group. I understand how telling people on the top may be a problem if others try to hack and impersonate them to decline offers.

Good luck to everyone, I really hope there is some more movement and you guys get a shot to follow your dream!

You don't think that would happen with people trying to get out of the bottom group as well?

Anyways. Try to be positive. You'll get another shot.

"What we instead try to do is to be as open with people as possible, and as the WL shrinks, we send emails out to applicants who appear to have only a remote chance of receiving an offer. We sent such an email on Friday to about 15 people. I recognize that this explanation won’t satisfy everyone, unfortunately, but it is the best one I can offer."

This whole application process is so god damn stressful, why couldn't we have been told we're that low on the waitlist when we were first put on the waitlist!? I've been barely able to study for the new MCAT wasting so much time, because I've been sitting around being excited and hopeful like an idiot for something that was never going to happen! Forget the MCAT, I've basically developed insomnia from anxiety of waiting for ' the glorious May 29th offers' to be sent out, for over one month because I was foolishly hopeful. 

It's not a problem of being rejected, it's a problem of being mentally tortured before rejection, when they a almost certain that the last few people will not be accepted this cycle. 

It is a painful process and U of C tries hard to be transparent although one can argue more can always be done. It isn't a U of C thing however, it's every medschool. Both rejection and the waitlist and the worst is a rejection from a waitlist. We can't let the process control us though or get to us. We decide how much power they have over us. Life moves on and a year or two delay will not matter at all in one's life time. If you want it bad enough you will be a doctor and non of this will matter. find something you will enjoy doing for the next little and live your life while and apply again and you will get in eventually. we're all in the same boat and it sucks but it isn't the end of the world at all. Best of luck to all. 

Having waited through 2 summers with one or more waitlist offers and not getting any information and staying hopeful all summer only to have to engage in the 'back up' plans, I can empathize. 

I learned after the first difficult summer (3 waitlist offers and no final offer!!!) that it is better to treat the waitlist as a rejection and keep pursuing whatever you need to, either to improve the application or to move on.  Putting life on hold is very tough and you shouldn't suffer.

Best,

LL

Hang in there, MT_93.  I feel for you as I was waitlisted by U of A last year and then never made it off the waitlist. This year, I didn't receive an interview at all which was a punch in the gut. We have to keep trying though!  :)

We have a really good group of people that apply to Alberta schools, so those of us that didn't make it this year can keep each other motivated for the next cycle.

Archived