Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Support Thread

GPA might be a bit lower but you are also open to more schools no?

Yes. Dal, MUN's regular stream, NOSM, McGill, and my GPA will still by 4.0 at Toronto because of the weighting, though I don't know if I'll apply there since we really don't want to live in Toronto. Western and Ottawa English stream are out, but my chances aren't horrible, just perhaps lower, if at a broader selection of schools.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Dal, MUN's regular stream, NOSM, McGill, and my GPA will still by 4.0 at Toronto because of the weighting, though I don't know if I'll apply there since we really don't want to live in Toronto. Western and Ottawa English stream are out, but my chances aren't horrible, just perhaps lower, if at a broader selection of schools.

ahhh I don't know - you just potentially punched up the number of schools quite a bit. They quite possibly would be better actually from what I have been following re: your stats/background.

Another one-interview applicant here. Lots and lots and lots riding on May 12 for McMaster atm :( My VR is fairly competitive (Same as Birdy) but my GPA is barely higher than the average of past matriculating years. Lots of wavering doubts about how well I did on the interview as well, some days I thought I did great but some days I wonder if I might have forgotten to said a certain thing and screwed it all up.

Your non-interview score is significantly above the average scores of the matriculating class in recent history.  I'm fairly confident in saying you would need a pretty bad interview to get rejected!

That's not true. Pre-interview is only worth 30% for McMaster; her combined GPA/VR would put her at a very high percentile for that 30% but being very high for around a 30% chunk does not make any guarantees. For instance, we often see those with 3.95+ or 12+ verbals being rejected pre-interview. Same idea - the interview is the main determining factor.

Only saying this so Birdy doesn't think she had an awful interview if it didn't work out.  But I really do think that it will, competitiveness of the process notwithstanding... ;)

Only saying this so Birdy doesn't think she had an awful interview if it didn't work out.  But I really do think that it will, competitiveness of the process notwithstanding... ;)

I appreciate the confidence :). An awful interview is a possibility, though, so I'm not ruling it out. This process can be unpredictable.

ahhh I don't know - you just potentially punched up the number of schools quite a bit. They quite possibly would be better actually from what I have been following re: your stats/background.

We'll see. I've decided to only apply one more time if this year doesn't work out, since I have a backup I'd love to do (medical physics.)

I appreciate the confidence :). An awful interview is a possibility, though, so I'm not ruling it out. This process can be unpredictable.

We'll see. I've decided to only apply one more time if this year doesn't work out, since I have a backup I'd love to do (medical physics.)

Yeah I saw that :) Good luck of course in either case - excellent careers either way.

One app, one interview here. Trying to keep myself distracted till decision day. My mind simultaneously is thinking about places to move to, LOC, electives and residency if accepted and applying in the next application cycle, having to rewriting the MCAT possibly around the same time as comps (whether to start studying for comps now or wait), chances at UWO (SWOMEN) if I have to apply again. And if wait listed, I'll just pretend better luck next cycle.

So my distraction strategy isn't working very well :-/

One app, one interview here. Trying to keep myself distracted till decision day. My mind simultaneously is thinking about places to move to, LOC, electives and residency if accepted and applying in the next application cycle, having to rewriting the MCAT possibly around the same time as comps (whether to start studying for comps now or wait), chances at UWO (SWOMEN) if I have to apply again. And if wait listed, I'll just pretend better luck next cycle.

So my distraction strategy isn't working very well :-/

they rarely do :)

we are getting close though. The most exciting time of the year. 

Yes, I'm going to watch the fight. Haven't decided where yet. You living in London?

Yep! I'm from here and if anyone has any questions on the city, feel free to ask. The fight was kind of boring at the end of the day. Go figure for 300$ million and neither are even out of breath at the end. Heh.

Also sitting with one interview this year on my second application cycle, after a 2 year second undergrad. Definitely feeling the pressure and worry about the idea of having to apply again. Let's cross that bridge when we get there and stay positive. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Grab a book and try to enjoy the weather!

I threw up my hands and said "screw it" today. I can't focus on a damn thing so the family and I are going to the beach for supper. First day of spring weather this season. We don't care if there's still ice in the water and snow on the ground, it's close enough to summer for a picnic on the beach!

I threw up my hands and said "screw it" today. I can't focus on a damn thing so the family and I are going to the beach for supper. First day of spring weather this season. We don't care if there's still ice in the water and snow on the ground, it's close enough to summer for a picnic on the beach!

ha whatever gets you to the finishing line :)

I had two, but one was a super long shot and I didn't get in there (MUN.) I only had one interview in Ontario and I'm wavering between certainty I didn't get in and modest hope that I did. It doesn't help that people around me keep saying how sure they are that I got in because they just don't understand how competitive this process is. My one comfort is that the one school where I did interview is the one where my MCAT and GPA will give me the most advantage, so my interview only needs to be decent, not perfect.

Still nerve wracking.

One interview here too.  Not my first cycle either.  Yes, the waiting is getting brutal now that it's so close.

This is going to be a long week. I quite probably will scream if I'm put on a waitlist. "Thanks for waiting so much! Here, wait some more."

Oh god, yes. I think if I get waitlisted I'll stay optimistic until the end of the month and then move on.

Birdy, whenever I see how little hope you have, I lose all hope, since my stats are so much worse. So, this next week I'm going to try to get as excited about going into nursing as possible.

Ive been sitting on McGill waitlist for almost 2 months now :( I am just hoping this wait will be over soon :(

Oh god, yes. I think if I get waitlisted I'll stay optimistic until the end of the month and then move on.

Birdy, whenever I see how little hope you have, I lose all hope, since my stats are so much worse. So, this next week I'm going to try to get as excited about going into nursing as possible.

I talk myself out of getting my hopes up so that if something good happens, it's all that much sweeter. Given the year I have had - where almost everything promising that has happened has gone bad before our eyes - I can't help but feel a little mopey about my chances. I'm just feeling a bit defeated so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

My mopiness about it all means nothing about your chances, though! For Mac, it's mostly about the interview anyway and I have a feeling you did awesome on that. :)

One app, one interview here too. (NOSM)  I had been waitlisted twice at NOSM in 2013 and 2014 while living in Ottawa but never invited to interview at Mac.  So I moved back to Northern Ontario and put all my grouse eggs in the same birch basket.

I volunteer at a FHT during the day and bartend a few evenings a week so i'm pretty busy.

I am also passing the time by walking by the lake each day, stretching, watching Trailer Park Boys and making  a sweeeeeeeeeeet EDM playlist.

Oh you're counting them as 6? I always try to make myself feel like it's going to take longer so I include today (so 7 days for me ;))

~156 hours. It's under a week, I'll count it that way, hah.

Archived