Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Support Thread

Anyone else just constantly replaying the interview(s) in your head? 

(t-minus 5)

Yup. "Why did I say this?" "Why didn't I say this?" "I'm so stupid" "If only I had paused before answering, maybe I would've answered better" Been doing that for a while unfortunately :( I think it's way too easy to write off anything we answered well and only focus on the negatives of the interview.

Also I'm counting like you are :P I'd rather round up to trick myself into thinking it's a few more hours than it actually is (although now that it's a little past midnight and thus Friday, I suppose it's more like 4.5 days left).

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else just constantly replaying the interview(s) in your head? 

(t-minus 5)

I did this A LOT during the month following my interviews. Now I've somehow reached a more neutral/apathetic state and even if the interviews come into my head, I just go like: meh, I did what I could. Crazy/scary/exciting to think that the decisions have been made by now - I imagine that they will finalize everything tomorrow and then on Monday check their systems one last time.. I keep imagining three piles and wondering where my application is sitting :/ Last weekend before D DAY is approaching.. I am actually kinda enjoying this state of blissful unawareness. Anyway, I hope that for all of us life as we know it will change for the better next week! 

It was funny and suggested we should all get offers, exactly what we all need to hear right now.

I'm not counting Tuesday itself, so it's really only four days. Yay!

even better  :)

I keep trying to picture my headshot in the "accepted" pile (btw is Western the only school that requires headshots for interviews?) 

I'm trying to bury myself in summer research to avoid thinking about all this. Already wrote out protocols for any and all required experiments over the next 2-3 weeks and am just waiting for the blasted cell line to arrive. Now if only my parent's would let me go to the lab over the weekend and sleepover there...

Anybody planning alternative plans for Tuesday? I took Tuesday and Wednesday off work and thought I might drive from London to Toronto for a dinner/hotel/shopping trip with the girlfriend or maybe go to my mom's cottage in Grand Bend.
My alternative is pretty much to drink twice as much and not do anything but cry and watch shitty movies. Lol. I feel like if we get in we should treat ourselves, though!

Better question:  Is anyone NOT constantly replaying the interview(s) in your head?

Yeah, me.  I had such a different attitude this year, normally my adrenaline was pumping as I left - thinking i rocked it... then the self doubt creeps in and you second guess yourself during the waiting period.  This year I just felt kind of numb to it all, like a soldier doing my duty.  Haven't really thought about it too much at all.  For me, feeling like I did well in previous years wasn't an indication of successfully getting an offer, so this year I'm just like "I've done everything I can, it's out of my hands now."

Doesn't make the waiting period any easier, but it's one less thing to worry about.

Anybody planning alternative plans for Tuesday? I took Tuesday and Wednesday off work and thought I might drive from London to Toronto for a dinner/hotel/shopping trip with the girlfriend or maybe go to my mom's cottage in Grand Bend.

My alternative is pretty much to drink twice as much and not do anything but cry and watch shitty movies. Lol. I feel like if we get in we should treat ourselves, though!

Good plan.  I have taken the 12-17 off.  I am going into the clinic I volunteer at to check the email with the physician I shadow.  If it's good news, I'll gleefully continue my day there seeing patients with the knowledge that I am heading to NOSM in the fall.  From there I will be going out for dinner, then binge partying for 5 days.  Bad news will include lying in bed, maybe shedding a tear or two, and probably not snapping out of it for a few days.

I have a meeting I can't get out of in the afternoon lmao

let's hope I can keep my shit together, it'd be super awkward if I curled up into fetal position and wept in front of my supervisor, or even worse, the opposite.

I'll be at work all week. I've been off sick yesterday and today so there's no way I could have more time off. If I get in, there will be much celebrating. Coworker plans to treat me to lunch.

If I don't get in, I will wait until I get home and mope, listen to sad music, and then get on with my week.

Anybody planning alternative plans for Tuesday?

I've already got it all planned out. If I were to get in, I would call my parents and tell them to not make dinner for tonight and I would leave work at my lab early to go home and treat them to a nice hearty 3-course steak dinner. They have been unwavering in their support for me over these past few months, over most of my life in fact. I can think of no one else I would want to spend the first night of celebrations with.

If I don't get in this time round though, I don't think I'll be too upset. This is my first application as a 3rd year undergrad, so whilst I would like to get started on a medical career early, I can still afford to wait a couple more years. I quite like the research I am doing in my lab right now as it is a project I designed entirely by myself so its like a baby to me. I plan on continuing that research and hopefully getting a publication out of it, as well as looking at applying to both US and Canadian schools since my MCAT score is apparently competitive even amongst top-tier US schools.

First, but also second to last. If not this cycle or next, I'm done.

Even if it's not this cycle, with one year of wider applying (as you should be able to as a 4th year), there's little doubt that your stats and experiences will get you in somewhere.

60-ish hours, people!

I am going to spend all of tomorrow cleaning. Just because I need a distraction and I can't keep cooking.

Even if it's not this cycle, with one year of wider applying (as you should be able to as a 4th year), there's little doubt that your stats and experiences will get you in somewhere.

Enh, we'll see. There are no guarantees in this and plenty of good applicants don't get in. That's a risk we all take. Still really interested to see where else you get in, even if UBC is your first choice. You'll quite possibly make quite a few wait listers happy, hah.

Archived