Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Support Thread

Im very confused as to what the response will be. I felt/feel very confident about how I performed in the interview but I really don't like feeling that way. Had I felt neutral about the interview, then it would be easier to take a rejection or a waitlist. But because I think I performed great, not getting being accepted will leave me confused as to how to perform better if I ever get an interview again. Did anyone else feel they smoked the interview???

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So feeling confident doesn't mean anything eh? Damn, I feel so screwed

From reading lots of stats threads, it seems people's feelings about their interviews don't correlate strongly with whether they get in or not.

That doesn't mean you did poorly. It just means what you feel doesn't say much about your actual chances one way or the other. Apparently, anyway.

Yea I noticed that too. So I think the idea would be then to be satisfied with your performance but then to not base any prediction on how you feel you did.

If I asked myself whether I performed the way I wanted to, then the answer would be definitely. If I ask myself whether that was enough, the answer is no idea apparently.

Why do you think MUN did go well for you?

Well, with the MMI part, the prompts were almost all things I had encountered in my real life, either at home or work. They were things that I could talk about actually having encountered, and having had to navigate with real life consequences. I felt I was able to give a good overview of both sides (in the cases where there were sides), and explain my thoughts well. I wasn't nervous, didn't run out of time, but also didn't have any dead time.

It was the traditional part of the interview where I don't think I did as well since I did ramble a bit and we almost ran out of time so I didn't have enough time to really get into the meat of some of the more important questions. I think that's probably the part that did me in. I'm going to request feedback from MUN if I don't get into Mac, so I'll know for sure where my issues were for next time.

Ahh well im glad you have an area of the interview you feel you could improve on. The feedback would be helpful too.

How about Mac, What was your impression of your performance and how did you feel coming out

I had a lot of fun, actually. Didn't really run out of time, felt I had a lot to say, and could have added more if I needed to, but I thought I got my main points across well. I thought I was able to answer follow up questions well enough, and that I was able to relate much of what I was saying to the CanMEDS roles which I was subtle about naming, but included. I came out feeling pretty good, to be honest, but I know that doesn't mean anything.

I did manage to completely muck up my conversations with other premeds, though. I saved all my confident/professional for the interview and returned to awkward nerd shortly thereafter. :)

What is it about your performance that makes you feel it went so well? Just an overall sentiment, or particular reasons?

Oh that's really good to hear, hopefully Mac works out.

I felt confident because of the practice I did prior. I did enough mock interviews to know what type of performance resulted in recent types of feedback from mock interviewers. ie, if I was talking too much around the point, or being too general, or not coming off as personable, it would result in mock interviews saying your interview was mediocore and you need to do xyz

During my real interview, I did exactly what I wanted to do in terms of what I wanted to say, how I wanted to say it, and how I wanted to portray myself etc. So that's why it kinda puts my in weird situation of if im rejected, I have no clue what I did wrong, which will be confusing.

Well, hopefully you get in and it isn't an issue. :)

I like that MUN offers feedback, since at least I'll have that to go on before next cycle. I wish more schools did that, but given the sheer number of applicants, I can understand why they wouldn't.

Hi guys! Just wanted to wish the best of luck to everyone as D-Day slowly but surely approaches. Also, I would like to offer some advice that I received when I was in the same spot.

1) Remember how you feel right now. Remember why you want to pursue medicine. In fact, take your thoughts and emotions and write it down somewhere. In a few years when you're feeling really down about yourself and about the medical field, go back to those thoughts. Remember why it is that you're busting your ass for this.

2) If it's meant to be, it will happen. The fact that you made it to the interview stage already speaks volumes to your qualifications as an applicant. You already have what it takes. You know that, and the medical schools know that as well. Even if it doesn't work this year, you're still the same person and you still have what it takes if you're willing to keep trying. For those of you that don't know, it took me two cycles to get into medical school. So if it doesn't work out this year, it just means that it wasn't your year... but you should keep trying. Seriously though, never stop trying if this is what you really want to do.

3) Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

4) If it doesn't work out, it doesn't necessarily mean that you would make a bad physician. The school probably just felt that other people were a better fit for the program. People tend to get accepted into programs where they fit in really well.

5) Alcohol.

Once again, I wish the absolute best of luck to everyone here, as well as the lurkers who are reading this but don't post. May the odds be ever in your favor.

From reading lots of stats threads, it seems people's feelings about their interviews don't correlate strongly with whether they get in or not.

That doesn't mean you did poorly. It just means what you feel doesn't say much about your actual chances one way or the other. Apparently, anyway.

basically seems to be true - it is really hard to self eval during interviews - particularly when the interviewers are generally playing a role as well (they can be for instance always nice or always "cold" - either way having no basis on how well you are actually doing).

Does anyone else feel like they're walking in a dream, I feel dazed and confused in a sheltered little bubble lol. I don't think it's struck me yet that we'll finally be hearing back after this long wait.

Described how I'm feeling. My homeostasis has become anxiety and counting down, so when it's finally all over, I don't know if I'll believe it (unless I guess I get waitlisted... In which case I can keep waiting :()

Im very confused as to what the response will be. I felt/feel very confident about how I performed in the interview but I really don't like feeling that way. Had I felt neutral about the interview, then it would be easier to take a rejection or a waitlist. But because I think I performed great, not getting being accepted will leave me confused as to how to perform better if I ever get an interview again. Did anyone else feel they smoked the interview???

I feel like that to! I felt very happy, excited and confident as soon as I came out of the interview room. I actually did a little happy dance(knowing nobody was there). But, even though I feel like I gave it my best, it all depends on what they were looking for and how they interpreted my answers. 

I'm officially starting to become really nervous again, like the couple of days following the interview. I also developed a cold, which means I'm sleepy all day and can't sleep at night or having the weirdest dreams. I've also just moved back home for the summer(in NB), so I feel like a have to wait 1 hour more before I get an answer because of the change from Eastern time to Atlantic time. 

I feel like that to! I felt very happy, excited and confident as soon as I came out of the interview room. I actually did a little happy dance(knowing nobody was there). But, even though I feel like I gave it my best, it all depends on what they were looking for and how they interpreted my answers. 

I'm officially starting to become really nervous again, like the couple of days following the interview. I also developed a cold, which means I'm sleepy all day and can't sleep at night or having the weirdest dreams. I've also just moved back home for the summer(in NB), so I feel like a have to wait 1 hour more before I get an answer because of the change from Eastern time to Atlantic time.

Ugh, same for me (PEI.) I'll probably be most of the way to my first break at work before I hear, while for Ontarians they are probably just going to be starting their days.

Im jealous of BC applicants to Ontario schools. They'll wake up to news. That would be nice. I wonder if Mac can mess things up this year by sending them out a few hours early. That'd be nice.

Oh it would really be nice! I actually was awakened by receiving the e-mail of my interview offer in january, which was great because I wasn't expecting offers that day and wasn't stressed at all before that morning. I'm definitely not going to be feeling like that tuesday!

Hey everyone, all the best to you! You are all so talented and competent to have come this far and even if it doesn't work out, try, try again! Remember, learning how to deal with failure gets you very far when you're in med and it is those mature applicants in my class who are the successful ones when it comes to getting research opportunities and executive positions. 

If you have to do another year or get a graduate degree in the process, I want you to know that it is completely okay and actually quite favored. When it comes down to residency applications, your patience and hard work will pay off - especially if you're going for something competitive.

Archived