Premed 101 Forums

Any International Programs Like Uq/oschner Open To Canadians?

Are there any programs like the UQ/Oschner or programs where students do basic sciences in the home country and then clinicals in the US that are OPEN to Canadians? I feel most programs are just limited to Americans. If anyone knows of a program like that, please let me know.

Thanks

Thank you guys! I applied to SGUL - both Cyprus as well as London. But I wanted to know of any other similar programs if they exist? Also, what problems did the cyprus program have Gohan?

http://www.nicosia.sgul.ac.cy/education/curriculum/clinical-placements

The cyprus program wasn't able to guarantee all of their North American students training in the US for the two clinical years. The hospital they were able to get (Swedish Covenant) is not ACGME accredited either, it is an AOA hospital. Not sure what the implications of that are for IMGs who want to get licensure down the line.  Defeats the purpose of going abroad for the "MD" or whatever ego thing that pushes people away from USDO schools - when you could actually go to a real USDO school instead and reap all the benefits of being an AMG.

The other US hospital they are affiliated with is ACGME accredited, but its in Puerto Rico. Not sure how optimal the teaching environment would be when you have to get everything translated all the time and other set backs.

You can google some of the problems - SGUL- London is definitely much more viable. Stick with that.

Additionally, the SGUL-N program is simply a licensing situation, the school in cyprus "licenses" out the SGUL brand name. There's more to it, but you will have to do your own research to determine the pro's and con's of the program for yourself.

Just a thought..wouldn't SGUL-cyprus with all its problem still be more of a viable option than the Caribbean schools? From my understanding, you're still able to stay and complete foundation years+residency in England graduating from a SGUL-cyprus. Seems like a better option to me than a Caribbean school where if you're not matched you're pretty much screwed. With any SGUL, worse comes to worst, you stay in the UK do your GP training and return to Canada through the reciprocity they have in place.  

I briefly looked into this so correct me if i'm wrong  :)

Just a thought..wouldn't SGUL-cyprus with all its problem still be more of a viable option than the Caribbean schools? From my understanding, you're still able to stay and complete foundation years+residency in England graduating from a SGUL-cyprus. Seems like a better option to me than a Caribbean school where if you're not matched you're pretty much screwed. With any SGUL, worse comes to worst, you stay in the UK do your GP training and return to Canada through the reciprocity they have in place.  

I briefly looked into this so correct me if i'm wrong  :)

I haven't seen any real confirmations on the other threads that staying UK for foundation was 100% possible with this hybrid program, the program director on the other thread gave a wish-washy statement. It probably is possible, but doing FM in the US after a top 4 carribean degree isn't terrible either in most cases for someone who makes it all the way through. 

"3. If I were to earn the MBBS(MD) degree being offered by St.Georges University of London from their satellite campus located in Cyprus, would that give me the the full qualifications I would need in order to obtain internship/residency positions in the U.S.(California, New York etc.) and the United Kingdom?

I am unable to give you an indication of the likelihood of you gaining a place on the Foundation Programme, however, you can find more information about the current requirements for eligibility and the application process on the UK Foundation Programme Office's web site."

They didn't say yes, but they didn't say no either. Just shifted the question elsewhere.

EDIT:

http://www.nicosia.sgul.ac.cy/education/accreditation

The accreditation leads one to think it is eligible for FY1, but its classification as an overseas program is a bit worrisome.

Where is Medstart when you need him/her haha.

Until the Grad Med program at SGUL actually has graduates going through the process and trying to stay for Foundation, it's going to be hard to know, I think. 

One thing I was trying to figure out but never quite got the details worked out on was .... if you went to SGUL (London) and did your 3rd/4th year rotations in the US, would you have trouble getting your Tier 4 (Student) visa extended in order to stay for foundation? I feel like I read somewhere that to extend a Tier 4 you need to spend your final year of school plus one other year in the UK ...

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-application-for-uk-visa-as-tier-4-student 

Item #72 under 'postgraduate doctors and dentists'

". You must have been given permission to stay in the UK as a student under the rules in place before 31 March 2009 or as a Tier 4 (General) student. This permission must have covered your final academic year and at least one other academic year of your studies leading to the above degree." 

Not sure how this would apply to Canadians/ North Americans doing the SGUL program who are wanting to stay for foundation.

Until the Grad Med program at SGUL actually has graduates going through the process and trying to stay for Foundation, it's going to be hard to know, I think. 

One thing I was trying to figure out but never quite got the details worked out on was .... if you went to SGUL (London) and did your 3rd/4th year rotations in the US, would you have trouble getting your Tier 4 (Student) visa extended in order to stay for foundation? I feel like I read somewhere that to extend a Tier 4 you need to spend your final year of school plus one other year in the UK ...

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-application-for-uk-visa-as-tier-4-student 

Item #72 under 'postgraduate doctors and dentists'

". You must have been given permission to stay in the UK as a student under the rules in place before 31 March 2009 or as a Tier 4 (General) student. This permission must have covered your final academic year and at least one other academic year of your studies leading to the above degree." 

Not sure how this would apply to Canadians/ North Americans doing the SGUL program who are wanting to stay for foundation.

If you read it carefully it says that you must be given permission to stay in the UK. It doesn't mean you have to stay in the UK. I'm sure you'll have a Tier 4 visa throughout your 4 years, you just will be spending most of the last 2 in the US. 

Of course its important to make sure you have that Tier 4 visa for your 4 years but i'm guessing that they would give one to you since you are a registered SGUL student for all 4 years anyways. 

There is one at St. George's, University of London. 

There are 4 and 6 year programs, in all cases you do your last 2 years in the US at 2 different low tier MD schools. 

Its open to Canadians and Americans. 

I recommend checking it out 

http://www.intohigher.com/uk/en-gb/our-centres/into-st-georges-university-of-london.aspx

Whats the Admission standard been looking like? As in average gpa and MCAT getting in?

Whats the Admission standard been looking like? As in average gpa and MCAT getting in?

No clue to be honest. Probably not too high but it may be competitive if a lot of people apply. 

Their minimum MCAT is 24 but you probably should ask how many students they accept each year. 

If you don't mind living in Israel, there are at least two programs (that I know of) with clerkships in US (Technion and Ben Gurion). I believe both accept Canadian students, though I wouldn't recommend any international programs with the pending merger.

I wish there was match information. This is something I would definitely consider if there was a reasonably high chance of matching in the US. The cost would still be a concern (about 360k CAD), but with a good chance of matching, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Archived