Premed 101 Forums

Ipad Air 2 Vs Macbook Air

Hi guys. Has anyone gone through medical school with using an iPad? My laptop broke down recently and I'm considering buying an iPad for medical school. Can you elaborate on its drawbacks/advantage please? (Also, I'll have an iMac at home for photography/home purposes, so the iPad will mainly serve for in-school/library activities)

Also considering a Macbook Air if iPad doesn't work out

Thanks!

You can't even compare the two tbh. Go for the macbook. I know you'll have an iMac at home but a macbook is just so much more practical and  efficient - even with a keyboard, the processing power of the iPad is nowhere near comparison. My only issue though is that you might have trouble sketching things out if you use it for class notes. I'd suggest a Surface but I don't have any experience with them myself. If drawing diagrams on your notes isn't a huge deal for you, then go with the macbook. Hopefully a med student can give you more detailed advice! 

I love my MacBook air, but there's also that pervasive sense of guilt that I'm probably not using it to its full capacity (Microsoft office, Internet, movies sure, but no photoshop etc.) haha

Yes, that's exactly my concern. I'll have a desktop at home. Do you think an iPad would be sufficient for school use?

Depends heavily on the school's system and your use case. I use an ipad with a keyboard exclusively (I have a desktop PC at home), It works for our tutorials since its just a google doc, but I also don't spend all day working in the library, I work at home. The Ipad cannot access a number of resources, so it can't be your only computer, or even your primary one for getting "work" done. Its amazing for lectures/group work and for reading (I don't have any physical textbooks, everything comes as a pdf now), so if thats all you're using your laptop for anyway, then go for it.

I find that for studying I only need my iPad. I downloaded an app so I can take notes on my pdfs using a stylus (Readdle or PDFpro app) and it works like a charm during tutorials and traditional classes. Also it's the only thing I need while studying because you can access to all the ressources very quickly with the right apps.

But if you intend on doing a lot of typing, get a keyboard.

I find that for studying I only need my iPad. I downloaded an app so I can take notes on my pdfs using a stylus (Readdle or PDFpro app) and it works like a charm during tutorials and traditional classes. Also it's the only thing I need while studying because you can access to all the ressources very quickly with the right apps.

But if you intend on doing a lot of typing, get a keyboard.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Thanks. I'll probably get the iPad with a keyboard

• 1 year later...

I'm still wondering what the best option for incoming med students is. I'm someone who has always taken notes by hand, so I'm not sure what to go with, plus my laptop's on it's last legs so I'm is the best/worst position to be looking for something new 

then get something that you can use a stylus with like the iPad or Surface.  I have the surface (along with many people from my class) and it's great for school.  

You'll definitely need a computer for med school, especially at McGill where all exams are done electronically on your personal laptop. 

then get something that you can use a stylus with like the iPad or Surface.  I have the surface (along with many people from my class) and it's great for school.  

You'll definitely need a computer for med school, especially at McGill where all exams are done electronically on your personal laptop. 

Thanks for the advice, is that the Surface Book, or the Pro 3? Do you find you're okay with just that, or is that in addition to having a home computer? I know some people use an iPad and then have a laptop/computer at home, but the surface Book and Pro seem to be basically all-in-ones 

Thanks for the advice, is that the Surface Book, or the Pro 3? Do you find you're okay with just that, or is that in addition to having a home computer? I know some people use an iPad and then have a laptop/computer at home, but the surface Book and Pro seem to be basically all-in-ones

I have the pro 3 (pro 4 and surface book weren't out yet when I bought mine). I have an additional computer at home. It's a gaming rig since I game (a lot). I know some people who do use it as their full-time computer though.

The surface is definitely an all-in-one, especially since it runs the full Windows 10 operating system. Speed wise, it's just as fast as my desktop (thanks to SSDs) for everyday use such as e-mails, reports for school, Office, OneNote, internet (I haven't tried more intensive programs like Photoshop on it).

• 2 years later...