Premed 101 Forums

Did I Just Ruin My Life?

Before my non-degree year: My two most recent years GPA = 3.68, CGPA = 3.71, U of T wGPA = 3.84

If I include my non-degree year, well everything drops a fair amount below that, my two most recent years becomes like a 3.53 or something. U of T would take my CGPA then.

So I'm thinking a masters could be good. I know U of T and Queens considers a Masters, so it wouldn't be completely detrimental. Also, I am interested in research, so it would beat working

Thoughts?

Just thought I'd put it out there that research work is still work. Perhaps you meant that grad school life may be different from "professional" life, but you get out what you put in. To go back on topic though, I think masters will help, but it won't save an application. Ask yourself if you'd want to do a masters even if it wouldn't help your medschool applications. 

Before my non-degree year: My two most recent years GPA = 3.68, CGPA = 3.71, U of T wGPA = 3.84

If I include my non-degree year, well everything drops a fair amount below that, my two most recent years becomes like a 3.53 or something. U of T would take my CGPA then.

So I'm thinking a masters could be good. I know U of T and Queens considers a Masters, so it wouldn't be completely detrimental. Also, I am interested in research, so it would beat working. 

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd consider another 2 year undergrad degree. Not to be rude, but your cGPA before your non-degree year wasn't very competitive (it was a good GPA, but it definitely would have held you back at most schools - from what I've seen, you want a 3.8+ to be in the normal competitive range among premeds for most schools, although, some people have gotten in with grades below this). Your GPA after your non-degree year, as you've noted, is even worse. 

Because you got an interview at Queen's, I'd assume your EC's and MCAT scores are decent, if not great, so you have that going for you. Although, it doesn't hurt to be continually improving these! (I'd leave the MCAT alone, but continue with EC's)

I think that after 2 years of hard work pulling off 3.7+ (realistically, you want the highest possible grades, so I'd aim for at least a 3.85) you should be competitive at quite a few schools, especially those who take the most recent/best two years.

Hopefully you get into Queen's and don't have to worry about this though! Best of luck!   

Alright, well thank you all for your insight and advice. I'm trying my best to talk to the schools directly. U of T was nice enough to say that, after giving them more information on my case, it is very likely that they will not consider my year. I have yet to hear from Queens. I'm also meeting with the Dean of Science at Western to try to make this year a credit-based year. If nothing works out then I'll just figure it out later! In any case, you guys are right, this is not the end of the world, it is just a setback and I'll sort it out!

Thanks again and best of luck to you all in your endeavors,

Sura

• 2 months later...

Just an update, and maybe some feedback, I will be returning to my alma mater for a second undergrad degree this September. I was told by my academic counselors that it would take 2 years to finish, so I'll keep applying to med schools during that time and hopefully it works out!!

Thanks for all the advice once again!

-Sura

Just info for others... no need to worry about taking a summer course or non-degree course to fulfill your credits as long as it's considered part time.

Part time course loads are usually not counted towards GPA and don't hurt your application. However, you usually need 3.0 or fewer credits to qualify for a part time course load (any more than that and you are a full time student). OP had 4.0 credits, which is usually counted as a full course load at most universities. Do your research before making big decisions.

• 11 months later...

There are other things in life than getting into med. I used to have that mentality too when i was in undergrand, thinking that if i did not get into med i would have accomplished nothing with my life and it would be a waste. Eventually you realize that it's quite the opposite. If i had to redo it all over again I think I could be happy with other jobs as well and not only just with medicine.

Archived