Premed 101 Forums

Received an email from Queen's to apply for the Goldman Sachs scholarship.  It seems like it's been sent to people with parents who are likely to be immigrants or something but my background is just Canadian..  did anyone else receive this email? seems like only a couple out of many i know received this too

Received an email from Queen's to apply for the Goldman Sachs scholarship.  It seems like it's been sent to people with parents who are likely to be immigrants or something but my background is just Canadian..  did anyone else receive this email? seems like only a couple out of many i know received this too

I got the email and have mostly Canadian heritage. Why do you think is 'seems like it's been sent to people with parents who are likely to be immigrants'? I feel that a university would not make assumptions about this sort of thing. I'm sure those that didn't receive it could likely find it in their junk mail or something. 

uh. because the letter literally stated "Preference will be given first to a student who self-identifies as the child of immigrant parents (both parents born outside of Canada)"...?   which i don't get. i have a european and south american background but my parents are born in Canada, so for people like me are we automatically not eligible to receive the only scholarship they offer.. it's confusing.

I wouldn't assume that. If the email guaranteed acceptance for all recipients, I mean what's the purpose of the 15th date..

Also hope I don't worry anyone who didn't receive the email... it wasn't my intention.. I was just curious about the nature of the scholarship. Like I said my parents are both from Canada.. so what now, make up the fact that they were born in Mars?

I wouldn't assume that. If the email guaranteed acceptance for all recipients, I mean what's the purpose of the 15th date..

Also hope I don't worry anyone who didn't receive the email... it wasn't my intention.. I was just curious about the nature of the scholarship. Like I said my parents are both from Canada.. so what now, make up the fact that they were born in Mars?

Lol. "Preference will be given..." doesn't mean they only sent the email to people they randomly decided to stereotype. More likely than not, the email got sent to everyone and everyone can apply but if you identify on the application that you fit the criteria you're more likely to be considered for it. It's like saying preference will be given to students demonstrating financial aid, which is a very common requirement for most scholarships/awards you have to apply to. Doesn't mean they only invite students who are poor to apply.

And it's no indication of your acceptance so don't worry.

Lol. "Preference will be given..." doesn't mean they only sent the email to people they randomly decided to stereotype. More likely than not, the email got sent to everyone and everyone can apply but if you identify on the application that you fit the criteria you're more likely to be considered for it. It's like saying preference will be given to students demonstrating financial aid, which is a very common requirement for most scholarships/awards you have to apply to. Doesn't mean they only invite students who are poor to apply.

And it's no indication of your acceptance so don't worry.

to be honest the past two years I knew five people who got the same email.. and they all got in Queen's.  I don't know if that's an awful coincidence or what but I didn't receive the email and I can't help but to get worried...

to be honest the past two years I knew five people who got the same email.. and they all got in Queen's.  I don't know if that's an awful coincidence or what but I didn't receive the email and I can't help but to get worried...

Well that's interesting and very odd. Kind of defeats the purpose. I'm only speaking from experience with Queen's med and some other schools where all applicants were emailed to apply for bursaries, awards, etc. But even then I wouldn't look too much into it. Could very well be a coincidence.

Best of luck guys!

Maybe you are right. My chances at Queens were definitely the lowest out of all the schools I applied to. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if I got rejected.

Maybe you are right. My chances at Queens were definitely the lowest out of all the schools I applied to. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if I got rejected.

well i wouldn't say that... like Codydreas said, it wouldn't make sense.  and the chance is not the lowest at Queens for you and if it is then you'll get into some other one.

Is this for OT or PT or both ??

Straight from Queen's website: "Established in February 2011, by Goldman Sachs Gives and awarded to an eligible full time student in the Master of Science (Physical Therapy) (M.Sc.[P.T.]) program in the School of Graduate Studies. Preference will be given first to a student who self-identifies as the child of immigrant parents (both parents born outside of Canada. If a suitable recipient cannot be found under this criterion, preference will be given to a student from a remote or rural area of Canada"

SO just PT :)

I was literally going to post a topic about this yesterday. It seems like this kind of confirmed my guess. It said that "your application is currently under consideration" or something, so maybe that's their way of saying "you made our first cut"...I don't think they're stereotyping from "ethnic-sounding" names or anything like that, because a friend of mine would've received one in a heartbeat. However he was feeling shaky about his queens application and definitely said mine looked good, so it COULD be that if you got the email, you're one step closer to getting in? Don't wanna get anyone's hopes up but that seems to be the case based on the previous poster talking about his phone call.