Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlisters

Hi Everyone, 

I thought I would create a new topic for applicants who were waitlisted (UBC Medical School Class of 2019). Hopefully this will allow us to share information on upcoming rounds of offers, statistics, or simply vent haha. 

- IP
- 3rd application (2nd time on the waitlist rollercoaster)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOP, waitlisted. Already accepted to another Canadian school, so very grateful with whatever happens.

Are all waitlist communications made through email? Not sure I'll have access to my phone for most of June, so hopefully I'd hear through email (if at all).

Good luck everyone!

OOP, waitlisted. Already accepted to another Canadian school, so very grateful with whatever happens.

Are all waitlist communications made through email? Not sure I'll have access to my phone for most of June, so hopefully I'd hear through email (if at all).

Good luck everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance!

My understanding is that UBC will release all notifications via email & on the online application system. There are a few cases where they have actually called people, but that is usually when they are filling up the last one or two seats and need a quick answer in order to confirm their class. 

I'm also waitlisted, OOP.

I found a blog post from 2013 about being waitlisted... http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2013/05/17/being-waitlisted-2/

Based on that blog post, I'm assuming that we can't expect the waitlist to start moving until after May 22nd (the deadline for acceptances to the first wave of offers)?

Yeah. I imagine that the first round of offers will go out on the following Monday (May 25th) or Tuesday (May 26th). Last year there was seven rounds of offers and the class was filled on June 17th. 

Great idea OP. I was coming here to start the very same thread.

I'm IP, also willing to go to any sites.

Also chasing tea leaves trying to make sense of any data we have to calculate chances haha.

Reversion to the mean looks like it should be 45-50 declined offer this year. Based on very little.

Does anyone know if they expanded the waitlist in 2012 when there were 64 declined offers? If not then we can maybe assume the waitlist is at least ~70.

I believe that was the year after UBC exhausted the waitlist and had to call back rejected applicants. Starting in 2012, they expanded the waitlist, although no one knows how long it is.

My understanding was in 2012 they shortened the waitlist once they had a full class (sometime in June). Then there was unexpected movement and UBC admissions had to put applicants who were taken off the wait list back on. However, none of those individuals were actually accepted. 

But your probably right… I am sure the admissions department was embarrassed and therefore expanded the wait list so as the same thing wouldn't happen in the future. Still impossible to figure out how long it is though. 

IP, waitlisted

trying to be positive at the moment and hoping for some good news..if not I guess I have another year to myself.

I understand that no one knows but is it reasonable to guess that the waitlist doesn't include more than 50 people? 

IP, waitlisted

trying to be positive at the moment and hoping for some good news..if not I guess I have another year to myself.

I understand that no one knows but is it reasonable to guess that the waitlist doesn't include more than 50 people?

I'd say around 60-70 at least because of 2012. My guess is between 70-100 but who really knows.

100% agreed that no one knows the length of the list, I would guess around 75 as well. I would guess that because of curriculum renewal this year, that there will be greater movement on the wait list.  Saw it the first year that the SMP started, people who get accepted to multiple programs may be less likely to accept to a program that is still getting the wrinkles out. Good luck!

Hey guys 

Just a quick question. Do we need to email admission office to confirm that we want to stay in the waitlist or not? 

You only need to email admissions if you want to be removed from the waitlist. Otherwise, it's assumed that you want to stay on it.

I am sure that most people have seen these statistics… but for those who haven't :)

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admissions-statistics/

2004 42 declined offer

2005 26 declined offer

2006 27 declined offer

2007 36 declined offer

2008 35 declined offer

2009 33 declined offer

2010 33 declined offer

2011 69 declined offer

2012: 64 declined offer (22 IP & 42 OP)

2013: 41 declined offer (15 IP & 26 OP)

2014: 27 declined offer (7 IP & 20 OP)

Added as many as I could find.

I am sure that most people have seen these statistics… but for those who haven't :)

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admissions-statistics/

2004 42 declined offer

2005 26 declined offer

2006 27 declined offer

2007 36 declined offer

2008 35 declined offer

2009 33 declined offer

2010 33 declined offer

2011 69 declined offer

2012: 64 declined offer (22 IP & 42 OP)

2013: 41 declined offer (15 IP & 26 OP)

2014: 27 declined offer (7 IP & 20 OP)

Added as many as I could find.

Do we know how many ppl usually withdraw from the waitlist?

I think one other thing that kind of sucks is that waitlisters are probably fairly unlikely to get their first choice campus. I was looking at the waitlist thread from previous yrs and most of the waitlist offers were made to other campuses not the Vancouver campus. So, I guess if Vancouver is your first choice, it may be a disadvantage if you're really set on that location. 

I think one other thing that kind of sucks is that waitlisters are probably fairly unlikely to get their first choice campus. I was looking at the waitlist thread from previous yrs and most of the waitlist offers were made to other campuses not the Vancouver campus. So, I guess if Vancouver is your first choice, it may be a disadvantage if you're really set on that location. 

Yeah. If this year is anything like last year all waitlisters who are accepted will be placed at SMP (Kelowna) first then waitlisted (again) for the other sites. 

Archived