Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlisters

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 more days until we can expect applicants to begin being accepted off the waitlist...

I already have an awesome backup plan for next year in place, but the uncertainty of where I'm going to be is driving me crazy.

What's your backup if you don't mind me asking? 

What's your backup if you don't mind me asking? 

Luckily enough, I've been accepted to several prestigious MPH programmes abroad. :) My ultimate goal is to balance a career as a family physician in rural Canada with conducting international public health research.

Is the first round of waitlist usually just shifting of places for those who are already accepted? 

According to blog posts, usually that's what most of the first round consists of. However, I figure there will be at least some people invited off the waitlist.

According to blog posts, usually that's what most of the first round consists of. However, I figure there will be at least some people invited off the waitlist.

Good point! Maybe thats a question that the admissions department would actually answer? 

I remember last year there was approx. 10 ppl on the premed101 waitlist thread, none of whom had acceptances by the first two rounds. All of us therefore thought there had only been internal movement. But as it turns out there had already been a few applicants accepted in the first two rounds of wait list offers who were not posting…

Does anyone know if they call or email first with offers for waitlisters? Also, has anyone heard anything yet today?

Haven't heard anything yet, but I hear it's through email/OAS. They'll post in the blog when they've sent the first round out.

To those waiting, and confused about the waitlist process - remember not to jump to conclusions, the dynamics are a bit different - as it should be noted that the two posters above are OOP students (i think?).

So while they may have been waitlisted initially, they were likely ranked highly on the overall list when initial offers came out, they were waitlisted initially because the total OOP quota was reached.  Thus they would have been overall ranked higher than someone who was IP for example and said IP individual perhaps got into their 2nd choice site, and is on an internal waitlist.  

Just wanted to throw that line of thinking in, as i'm sure some people probably are confused (and these are just my thoughts, not fact) about waitlist offers - when there is also an internal waitlist of people who already are accepted to a 2nd or 3rd choice.

Positive thoughts to you all waiting.

To those waiting, and confused about the waitlist process - remember not to jump to conclusions, the dynamics are a bit different - as it should be noted that the two posters above are OOP students (i think?).

So while they may have been waitlisted initially, they were likely ranked highly on the overall list when initial offers came out, they were waitlisted initially because the total OOP quota was reached.  Thus they would have been overall ranked higher than someone who was IP for example and said IP individual perhaps got into their 2nd choice site, and is on an internal waitlist.  

Just wanted to throw that line of thinking in, as i'm sure some people probably are confused (and these are just my thoughts, not fact) about waitlist offers - when there is also an internal waitlist of people who already are accepted to a 2nd or 3rd choice.

Positive thoughts to you all waiting.

This has actually been confirmed on UBC's admissions blog in previous years. I can't find the link, but OOP students off the waitlist can indeed get their 1st choice location even when IP students have been given their 2nd/3rd choices because it all depends on their overall ranking.

This has actually been confirmed on UBC's admissions blog in previous years. I can't find the link, but OOP students off the waitlist can indeed get their 1st choice location even when IP students have been given their 2nd/3rd choices because it all depends on their overall ranking.

Ah okay, glad to see that UBC old blog posts corroborate that thought process.

So it means OOP students who didn't get offer today have close to zero chance :( It was a long journey

It doesn't mean that at all. Lots of OOPs are likely at the top due to higher preinterveiw scores. But IPs can also have high scores and therefore be up at the top of the wait list. There can be oops below those IPs who will still get in.

Best of luck for tomorrow, for those of us still waiting :)

(I'm assuming the next offers will be sent out later tomorrow; last year the 3rd round of offers was sent the same day as the deadline for decisions on the 2nd round)

Archived