Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlisters

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrt, when did you get the email?

5:23 PM Ontario time

All the best for those still waiting -- don't give up hope yet!!! This was my second cycle applying to med schools, and UBC was the only interview I ever received. I didn't think I had a chance!

Also, I'm going to try to apply to defer med school for a year -- I'm not really sure how to go about doing this at UBC, but we'll see!

All the best for those still waiting -- don't give up hope yet!!! This was my second cycle applying to med schools, and UBC was the only interview I ever received. I didn't think I had a chance!

Also, I'm going to try to apply to defer med school for a year -- I'm not really sure how to go about doing this at UBC, but we'll see!

Time to change your signature!

Congrats! You must be really excited. Do you mind me asking when your deadline to accept is? 

UBC does allow deferrals but it's at their discretion as per their website:

"Under special circumstances where an offer has been given, admission may be deferred for one year at the discretion of the Admissions Selection Committee or the Admissions Policy Committee."

You just have to apply for the deferral, but if you have a reasonable reason, I'd think they'd grant it. 

UBC does allow deferrals but it's at their discretion as per their website:

"Under special circumstances where an offer has been given, admission may be deferred for one year at the discretion of the Admissions Selection Committee or the Admissions Policy Committee."

You just have to apply for the deferral, but if you have a reasonable reason, I'd think they'd grant it. 

I received a decision on that today from UBC -- they rejected my application to defer med school for a year to do a 1-year MPH at a prestigious university in the UK with a full scholarship. Oh well! I'm actually not disappointed at all -- I'm really looking forward to moving to Vancouver and getting started on med school.

I received a decision on that today from UBC -- they rejected my application to defer med school for a year to do a 1-year MPH at a prestigious university in the UK with a full scholarship. Oh well! I'm actually not disappointed at all -- I'm really looking forward to moving to Vancouver and getting started on med school.

To be honest, you can always do it later during residency. The value-add of it is pretty miniscule, compared to just starting med and moving on now.

To be honest, you can always do it later during residency. The value-add of it is pretty miniscule, compared to just starting med and moving on now.

Exactly; I have no regrets. The only reason I even applied to defer was so that I could tell the scholarship organization that I at least tried to, before I turn down the scholarship. I'm not looking forward to having to bear this news to them--it really was an incredible opportunity.

Archived