Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisters Unite

I saw on last years thread someone called the admissions office to ask about waitlist movement or something along those lines. They were notified that there would be less waitlist movement since more people than expected accepted their offers. Who's brave enough to call the office haha. Although by now they probably don't have a good gauge. Maybe by May 26th they'll be able to give an accurate answer to that!

yeah at this point they would have absolutely no idea :)

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if someone could help me understand why I was put on the waitlist.. How are people accepted after the interview, is it through the interview score? My GPA is 3.99, and I thought my interview went pretty well. Does this mean my interview score was very low? I am also worried that puts me low down on the "good" waitlist then, since it is categorized by interview scores. I would appreciate if anyone has any insight, thanks!

I was wondering if someone could help me understand why I was put on the waitlist.. How are people accepted after the interview, is it through the interview score? My GPA is 3.99, and I thought my interview went pretty well. Does this mean my interview score was very low? I am also worried that puts me low down on the "good" waitlist then, since it is categorized by interview scores. I would appreciate if anyone has any insight, thanks!

gpa helps you get an interview but after the interview it is only a tiebreaker. because you were not accepted right away it means you were not in the top 116 interviewees but you weren't too far off since you, and apparently most people posting atm all got emails saying we were on the "good" waitlist. since my gpa is less than yours, if we had the same interview score, you would be contacted before me, but if i am in a higher interview bracket I would get a call before you even though i have a lower gpa. at least thats how i have interpreted what ive read on these forums thus far.

gpa helps you get an interview but after the interview it is only a tiebreaker. because you were not accepted right away it means you were not in the top 116 interviewees but you weren't too far off since you, and apparently most people posting atm all got emails saying we were on the "good" waitlist. since my gpa is less than yours, if we had the same interview score, you would be contacted before me, but if i am in a higher interview bracket I would get a call before you even though i have a lower gpa. at least thats how i have interpreted what ive read on these forums thus far.

exactly - a person on the good waitlist with a high GPA is probably in a pretty good spot.

and interviews are weird (as mentioned I suppose a lot lately). It is really, really hard to know how you actually did. Still you are on the good waitlist so it could be worse - unfortunately it means another waiting game but fortunately not that long of one.

exactly - a person on the good waitlist with a high GPA is probably in a pretty good spot.

and interviews are weird (as mentioned I suppose a lot lately). It is really, really hard to know how you actually did. Still you are on the good waitlist so it could be worse - unfortunately it means another waiting game but fortunately not that long of one.

Thanks for the info, I am just hoping my interview score isn't so low, that they never get to it! 

I remember at the interview they told us how the interview score is out of 4, then it changes in 0.5 increments. So everyone with a 4/4 interview score got an offer yesterday and probably a few 3.5/4 interview scores got offers as well is my guess. So lets hope we are on the upper end of the interview score! I thought mine went really well too, can't think of a thing I would do/say/answer differently!

I remember at the interview they told us how the interview score is out of 4, then it changes in 0.5 increments. So everyone with a 4/4 interview score got an offer yesterday and probably a few 3.5/4 interview scores got offers as well is my guess. So lets hope we are on the upper end of the interview score! I thought mine went really well too, can't think of a thing I would do/say/answer differently!

Same, my interview went great and my GPA is 3.99. Even now when I think about my interview I don't think I would say something else lol. 

yeah I understand your concern, I too have 3.99. I am just hoping the first 116 ppl all were from 4.0 interview score category cause if they went through 3.5 then it means we are in 3.0 category!!!

does being in the 3.0 category mean our chances are slim-none? do they ever get to it?

yeah I understand your concern, I too have 3.99. I am just hoping the first 116 ppl all were from 4.0 interview score category cause if they went through 3.5 then it means we are in 3.0 category!!!

does being in the 3.0 category mean our chances are slim-none? do they ever get to it?

I wouldn't over analyze :) If they told you that you are on the good waitlist then you have a good chance of getting in - that is by far the most useful piece of information you have access to and the only one that matters. 

They mentioned this during interview weekend? Who did? And no I can confirm that they didn't go through the entire good waitlist last year. It also is not equivalent to westerns high waitlist because everyone on that waitlist gets in

On page 7 of last years waitlist thread "Waitlist partyyy" the user kdsnipe35 said:

"Got a reply from the office today. She told me that the waitlist movement this year is going to be relatively small compared to past years as many students have accepted. She said bad waitlisters is a rejection."

On page 9 of waitlist partyyy, the same person admitted to actually being a fake, and is still in high school :P

Plus, I doubt admissions would ever full out say that the "bad" waitlist is a rejection. 

the joys of a public forum :)

if they wanted to call it a rejection, they would have called it a rejection.

Hahha opps my bad!! Thanks for clearing that up!! 

Yeah, I remember the guy from last year. He admitted to being a troll. And Ottawa isn't known to release that kind of information. But according to the last few years bad waitlist is pretty much a rejection unfortunately because they didn't even exhaust the good waitlist.

so if thats true there may be over 140 people on the good waitlist... hurts my optimism

It may or may not be true, rmorelan said it best, it is time for us to stop over analyzing! I personally would be skeptical of one single set of data from last year, let alone information from 12 years ago. All that said, let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Went way back and found this from 2003attachicon.gifnews.png

Interesting. The bottom 250 that are given the bad waitlist makes sense. However, I would argue that since they no longer reach the bad waitlist that they reduced the number of bad waitlisters and increased the number of good waitlisters. Also there were more interviews given this year and more total seats. From those numbers, I think a safe assumption (though not necessarily true by any means) would be 575 interviews translating into 475 English interviews. 116 are accepted and so that leaves 361 without an acceptance. Because there are more seats nowadays I doubt it's the bottom 250 that get the bad waitlist. I would presume it's the bottom 200. So thats's 361-200. So a safe assumption is that 161 are good waitlisted. Now considering that some accept other schools and withdraw themselves from the waitlist and the fact that not all waitlisters will accept the offer they get after May 27th, that number can go down substantially (~maybe to 100 even). But once again this is all speculation. 

Archived