Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlist Support

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone else a bit bugged by the fact that they're still adding new members to the fb group? (pretty fast too, still at a rate of ~2-3 per day even though the deadline to accept offer is on May 26), also the number of members currently stands at 133, based on what I read the previous years reached about this high during this time AFTER accounting for the 50 or so admins. Makes me wonder whether this is because of initiatives to encourage people joining the fb group or we're seeing an unexpectedly large number of acceptances this year.

anyone else a bit bugged by the fact that they're still adding new members to the fb group? (pretty fast too, still at a rate of ~2-3 per day even though the deadline to accept offer is on May 26), also the number of members currently stands at 133, based on what I read the previous years reached about this high during this time AFTER accounting for the 50 or so admins. Makes me wonder whether this is because of initiatives to encourage people joining the fb group or we're seeing an unexpectedly large number of acceptances this year.

I didn't even notice it went up again until you brought it up and I saw :( So sad.

And I don't even think there are 50 admins in the Western group. Jmatt said only O-week coordinators / captains are allowed to join. :( :( :( let's hope he's wrong

I didn't even notice it went up again until you brought it up and I saw :( So sad.

And I don't even think there are 50 admins in the Western group. Jmatt said only O-week coordinators / captains are allowed to join. :( :( :( let's hope he's wrong

Haha I read about that so I am aware. That's why it made me a bit worried. Because based on what I read from previous years' WL chats by this time the fb member count typically sits at 120-130, but this is because there are ~50 admins that constitute part of the group so the actual numbers are actually ~80. However this year like you said even taking away the admins we're looking at at least ~120 acceptances, and remember not everyone joins the fb group to begin with, so the actual number now can sit as high as 130-150 which is really worrisome, even for high WLs. 

Haha I read about that so I am aware. That's why it made me a bit worried. Because based on what I read from previous years' WL chats by this time the fb member count typically sits at 120-130, but this is because there are ~50 admins that constitute part of the group so the actual numbers are actually ~80. However this year like you said even taking away the admins we're looking at at least ~120 acceptances, and remember not everyone joins the fb group to begin with, so the actual number now can sit as high as 130-150 which is really worrisome, even for high WLs. 

Yeah I agree. Are you on high waitlist? I'm really surprised there are so many people accepting to Western this year though (even over UofT which seems to be the school that most people want to go to). Maybe it's just gained a lot of popularity because it's actually a pretty awesome school. I'm hoping some people in the group still need to leave because they forgot to while choosing between schools. And yeah, I don't know if last year the admissions committee / O-week coordinators included the link to the facebook group in the letter so maybe that's why there seems to be an increase this year (but I don't know).

Yeah I agree. Are you on high waitlist? I'm really surprised there are so many people accepting to Western this year though (even over UofT which seems to be the school that most people want to go to). Maybe it's just gained a lot of popularity because it's actually a pretty awesome school. I'm hoping some people in the group still need to leave because they forgot to while choosing between schools. And yeah, I don't know if last year the admissions committee / O-week coordinators included the link to the facebook group in the letter so maybe that's why there seems to be an increase this year (but I don't know).

Haha yea, so we're kind of in the same boat :P

Haha yea, so we're kind of in the same boat :P

Lol well at least we're both on high waitlist. I think we'll still make it but it'll be much closer this year (depending on how many people are even on high waitlist, but I doubt it's more than 30). We just have to worry about which campus we get in but I don't think that even matters too much as long as we don't have to reapply lol

I think the reason why more people are accepting their offer this year might be due to the new mcat? (I.e. people are not as picky as to which school they attend)

I doubt anyone in the past would've been picky even if they were accepted to their bottom choice school so I don't think that's it :P

You guys are just being paranoid lol I doubt there would be a significant spike in acceptances if this has been the case for the last 5 or so years. Just be patient!

Yes I think we are, but it's what we're best at, after all!

He's not wrong, sorry guys. There are definitely people leaving the group because they've picked other schools though, so don't lose hope! We dipped into our normal waitlist for my year, meaning we went through the entire high waitlist and then some.

He's not wrong, sorry guys. There are definitely people leaving the group because they've picked other schools though, so don't lose hope! We dipped into our normal waitlist for my year, meaning we went through the entire high waitlist and then some.

sorry, what exactly do you mean??? so more people have accepted their offer this year then?

I think this may apply more to unranked waitlists, but I've read some articles about things you can do to help your position on a waitlist (send in a letter of update or an additional letter of recommendation, even sending in your final transcript earlier), does anyone know if there are any real advantages to this with Western in particular? I know we all just want to get in somewhere, but since I haven't actually heard of anyone I know doing this, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't seem too pushy/leave a negative impression on the admissions officers by sending in additional documents. Any advice on this front would be fantastic!

Thank you all for participating in this forum, and good luck to everyone waiting for news!

I think this may apply more to unranked waitlists, but I've read some articles about things you can do to help your position on a waitlist (send in a letter of update or an additional letter of recommendation, even sending in your final transcript earlier), does anyone know if there are any real advantages to this with Western in particular? I know we all just want to get in somewhere, but since I haven't actually heard of anyone I know doing this, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't seem too pushy/leave a negative impression on the admissions officers by sending in additional documents. Any advice on this front would be fantastic!

Thank you all for participating in this forum, and good luck to everyone waiting for news!

Not sure, but I think that's a practice done mostly in the U.S. or other countries (maybe other provinces) but I haven't heard of this being the case for Ontario schools because then they'd have to go through everyone's documents all over again with people sending in additional documents which would just prolong the process.

I was also thinking about doing that but wasn't sure if it would be a good thing or if it would be seen as a bad thing (being too pushy/not following the rules/etc.) and potentially lead to being pushed lower down the waitlist or disqualified or something.

I was also thinking about doing that but wasn't sure if it would be a good thing or if it would be seen as a bad thing (being too pushy/not following the rules/etc.) and potentially lead to being pushed lower down the waitlist or disqualified or something.

I don't think it would cause you to be penalized, I think what would happen is just that they'll simply disregard it. I don't see them taking the time to go through the additional documents because they're busy enough, and it would also be unfair to everyone else for them to consider it because it's not an official rule to send in additional documents if you're on the waitlist

This is an American concept where school acceptances are on a rolling basis. By providing more information it shows that you are still interested in their school.

This does not exist within the Canadian system (or at least not in Ontario). You're already ranked on the waitlist, so there's nothing you can send it that will alter that. The only thing I could remotely think of would be sending in your 2nd year GPA if you're conditional.

Archived