Premed 101 Forums

2015 Backpack Colour Voting

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so bored of things that are coded masculine being considered gender neutral, but things coded feminine can only ever be feminine. It's okay to have a blue backpack but heaven forbid we impugn anyone's precious, fragile sense of masculinity with a pink one. 

I'm so bored of things that are coded masculine being considered gender neutral, but things coded feminine can only ever be feminine. It's okay to have a blue backpack but heaven forbid we impugn anyone's precious, fragile sense of masculinity with a pink one.

Haha agreed. This comes up every year!

Agreed.

Though I loathe pink myself and would probably not wear it either.

Agreed.

Though I loathe pink myself and would probably not wear it either.

ha - it isn't just that it is pink. It is radioactive pink. One of the big concerns of prior years is having a somewhat subdued bag in the name of professionalism and all that.

There was a outcry with my years red bags as being way too over the top bright. We have gone much more colourful since :)

ha - it isn't just that it is pink. It is radioactive pink. One of the big concerns of prior years is having a somewhat subdued bag in the name of professionalism and all that.

There was a outcry with my years red bags as being way too over the top bright. We have gone much more colourful since :)

Those maroon bags were the best! I don`t think it was too bright. 

The professionalism ship sailed the moment they gave out the pylon orange ones in 2013.

Not that I mind, though; I'm far more excited than is reasonable about getting my backpack.

The professionalism ship sailed the moment they gave out the pylon orange ones in 2013.

Not that I mind, though; I'm far more excited than is reasonable about getting my backpack.

Now that the current 1st years have traffic light green, the orange ones actually don't look as bright.

I think they just put pink up because it's funny to troll everyone. They know all the upper years vote pink to torture the newcomers by making them think pink is the most highly voted. And then there are the newcomers who are voting for pink, too :P

Honestly, if pink or brown wins, I'm not going to wear the bag. Making med students look like clowns may be funny to them, but it's over the top. A lot of us are proud, but there's a difference between being proud vs. practically shoving our success in the faces of everyone.

It's a financial firm looking to maximize their return. 

They want to maximize the time*people wearing the bags thus they avoid pink. To see why, check the facebook thread to see what our future peers think about pink.

To be fair, their committee probably has the same conversation we're having every year.

'They voted pink.'

'Have you considered those that hate pink?'

'Yes, they have been outvoted.'

'But they probably hate pink more than the others hate the other colours. They wont wear the bag.'

'Why do you think that? That's outdated thinking.'

'Have you seen our facebook thread?'

'How do you guys feel about bright teal?'

'Exactly.'

You should see the debates we get into about the colour every year  :)    The selection process is very rigorous.

Its more fun watching your comments and reactions though.... 

Am I the only person that thinks the bag is ugly, regardless of the colour? I don't plan on wearing it #Bringonthepink

Meh. It's a fun tradition not a fashion statement. Wear if for a couple weeks at least because it's easier to get to know your classmates when they are easily identified in hallways and such.

Only other downside I can think of is that they're HUGE on smaller people. I'm a tall guy so it's perfect, but some classmates who are ~5' looked pretty funny wearing them for the first couple weeks of class.

Yup that's me! But they look less ridiculous once 'broken in' because they don't look quite so big!

Archived