Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

hello all. I've been accepted to two schools - UBC and one I will keep anonymous.

My GPA before applying to medical school was 91% (three years completed). This year due to a lot of issues I ended up with 79%. I have met the conditional acceptance for school B but really would rather attend UBC due to it being closer to home. 

 

When I call the UBC admissions office they aren't really clear if this will effect me or not. They are being very vague and say they won't tell me until after June 30th. I got one C this year, majority B's and a few A's here and there. I don't know if these marks will raise flags. This year I only had 25 credits whereas every other year was 30 credits

I am terrified of turning down school B, accepting UBC and having my offer taken away. I called and asked if I could pay the deposit at both and they said no, within two days they would find out and I would be contacted. I am stressing out and don't know if I should just accept school B to be safe

 

Any help appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised UBC doesn't give you a straight answer. Also, I thought theule saying you can't put more than one deposit was only for Ontario schools.

EDITED: Incorrect, that thought was for waitlists specifically! 

Call and ask for a proper answer so you can make your decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Gohan. I appreciate it.

It wouldn't drop more than 5%, it is more like 2.5% overall if my calculations are correct. I called both school B and UBC and they told me that I will be emailed within two days if I do deposit at both, I was not aware about this. Neither are Ontario schools. My original plan was to pay the deposit for both and wait it out but they said that would not be possible as they would know within a week at most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you let UBC admissions know that it's only going to drop 2.5% (or max 3%) overall? As Gohan said, it would be good for you to call again or request to speak with someone who could give you a more concrete answer. Mention that UBC is your top choice but you want to make sure the offer won't be taken away. Since you're concerned about specific grades too (e.g. your C), bring that up too when you're talking about your overall drop and ask if they care about specific grades or just the overall 5% drop. You should get an answer (at least in an ideal world). I don't think you should give up till you have a straight answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone out there is a kind soul who would be willing to PM me /also double check the math for me I would really appreciate it. Getting rid of my worst year and all makes it kind of confusing. 


EDIT: thank you <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if they still don't give you a clear answer after everything then I'd go to school B and wouldn't risk it. If they can't give you a clear answer without a ton of work on your part are they going to be difficult/non-accommodating if something else arises during medical school that you need assistance with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if they still don't give you a clear answer after everything then I'd go to school B and wouldn't risk it. If they can't give you a clear answer without a ton of work on your part are they going to be difficult/non-accommodating if something else arises during medical school that you need assistance with?

Agreed.

 

If after asking a clear question, with pertinent information, you still aren't given a clear answer- go for school B. Not worth the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised UBC doesn't give you a straight answer. Also, I do not think there is any rule saying you can't put more than one deposit-that is AFAIK only for Ontario schools.

 

Call and ask for a proper answer so you can make your decisions.

 

The Ontario thing is only for waitlists. If you accept a school they will report to the medical council and thus you can't hold more than 1 acceptance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Directly from the UBC application you had to check this box: "I understand no student can simultaneously hold a position in more than one Canadian medical school. To that end, names of students who have accepted offers of admission are circulated to other Canadian medical schools."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Directly from the UBC application you had to check this box: "I understand no student can simultaneously hold a position in more than one Canadian medical school. To that end, names of students who have accepted offers of admission are circulated to other Canadian medical schools."

While I'm sure they are circulated, I'm not sure how often/quickly they are circulated. It could be once the class is full and then any minor changes later. However, I still don't think it is worth the risk if they won't give you a straight answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is sorted out. Let it be known, you can have a dramatic GPA drop (20%+) from year to year, as long as your overall (or aGPA with this year) average doesn't fall 5% you are fine. See you all in August :)

Yeah, I think you just freaked out a bit for no reason :P 

 

See you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...