Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill - Liste D'attente/ Waiting List

studenten

Is it possible that McGill is waiting to release decisions for the IP category? I know UdeM is waiting to release (https://admission.umontreal.ca/admission/apres-la-demande/vous-avez-recu-une-reponse/). I find it very hard to believe that the waitlist has not moved a single person since they released rankings. I would think at least one person would have declined by now.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there might have been some movement before may 12 and they re-numbered the waitlist ranking to coincide with waitlist ranking release on minerva. 

https://www.afmc.ca/pdf/AdmissionRequirementsfor2015_en.pdf

Gives you an waitlist movement in the past few years (page 30 of the pdf). 

Med-P tend to move a lot more. 

Is it possible that McGill is waiting to release decisions for the IP category? I know UdeM is waiting to release (https://admission.umontreal.ca/admission/apres-la-demande/vous-avez-recu-une-reponse/). I find it very hard to believe that the waitlist has not moved a single person since they released rankings. I would think at least one person would have declined by now.

Hi there,

MedMed23, I feel the same way as you do!

I was interviewed February 17th in IP category. I am currently ranked 2nd.

I really hope it hasn't move because they are waiting to release. I'd be curious to know why though.

In the end, beside the fact some applicants who were interviewed in april got an offer afterwards, I doubt there was movement in the waitlist due to declined offers before May 12th, because all Quebec's and other province's offers came out after may 14th. Who would refuse a spot without having the certitude of an alternative choice.

Don't stop believing!

Hi there,

MedMed23, I feel the same way as you do!

I was interviewed February 17th in IP category. I am currently ranked 2nd.

I really hope it hasn't move because they are waiting to release. I'd be curious to know why though.

In the end, beside the fact some applicants who were interviewed in april got an offer afterwards, I doubt there was movement in the waitlist due to declined offers before May 12th, because all Quebec's and other province's offers came out after may 14th. Who would refuse a spot without having the certitude of an alternative choice.

Don't stop believing!

Im not sure why or even if they are waiting to release. I just find things have been moving systematically. International seemed first, then OOP (it was initially at #12 before rankings were released) then this past week the Med-P list went up like 12 spots. Maybe it's just easier for them to do it this way. Fingers crossed that IP category will move this coming week!!!

well, they had the april IP interviewees to evaluate with so the waitlist probably got shuffled around as two groups merged on to a single list.  Some people on the waitlisted since March might have came off the waitlist when the April interviewees offers went out, which was the waitlist rankings were released on Minerva. 

April is for cegep-level applicants, I don't think university-level and cegep-level applicants are on the same list. I think the Quebec government even mandates that cegep-graduates get at least half of the med school spots.

April is for cegep-level applicants, I don't think university-level and cegep-level applicants are on the same list. I think the Quebec government even mandates that cegep-graduates get at least half of the med school spots.

There were some IP university-level applicants that interviewed in April as well (I'm one of them) who are one the same list as other university-level applicants who interviewed in Feb. 

How comes? McGill's website says the MMI are only in Feb.

The applicants who couldn't make it to February's interview with a valid reason we're rescheduled for April. IP February waitlisted and IP April waitlisted got merged into the same waitlist. And yes cegep (pre-med) applicants are on a different waitlist.

Also, McGill keeps a small number of applicant on the waitlist for interviews. 

Waiting list for interviews

A small number of applicants will be retained on a waiting list for interviews, should an interview slot become available (if an invited applicant declines). If no interview slot becomes available, these applicants will receive an official notice of refusal shortly after the interview dates for their applicant cohort.

This year some people were kept on the wait listed for interview till after the Feb interviews were over and were offered an interview with the cegep group in April (guess they had more interview slots or something).  Since McGill mostly depends on the interview for final decision, those who got off the interview wait list to interview in April were considered to be in the same group as those interviewed in Feb, resulting in some who were initially wait listed for interview to receive direct offers of admission while some who were directly offered an interview receiving a place on the wait list.

Yep, I confirm what oshaku said, I also was in the April batch of interviewees

McGill increased the overall IP invites to the interviews this year, from around 215 last year to 250 this cycle. My guess is that, with the increase in the number of competitive applicants every year, they are increasing the number of interview spots, so as not to create too much of a bottleneck in the pre-interview selection process

The applicants who couldn't make it to February's interview with a valid reason we're rescheduled for April. IP February waitlisted and IP April waitlisted got merged into the same waitlist. And yes cegep (pre-med) applicants are on a different waitlist.

Their website says no repeat interviews.

Do they hold spots for the IP university applicants who interview in April? They release decisions for IP university applicants in March...

Yes, they did hold spots and kept entry odds the same. They released a second wave of offers in early May for IP university applicants that interviewed in April and that were on the waitlist from Feb interviews. 

Hi all,

I found this on McGill's website regarding deposit refund:

"For students accepted into the MDCM program, notification of acceptance of the offer must be accompanied by a deposit of $500 CAD which will be applied against tuition fees. The deposit is refundable up to May 15th for international students and up to June 15th for non-Quebec Canadians and Quebec residents applying to the MDCM, MDCM&PhD or MDCM&MBA programs. For students accepted into the Med-P program, notification of acceptance of the offer must be accompanied by a deposit of $300 CAD which will be applied against tuition. For Med-P applicants, the deposit is refundable up to July 15th"

That is somehow encouraging. IP applicants had no rush to cancel their admission and ask for refund in the past weeks. The 15th is the next big date to wait upon!

Do you think they're waiting to release IP offers though? That wouldn't make much sense since the WL is being updated in the other categories...

Hey BiP,

I wish it was the case. I asked about that to McGill's med admission office and just received the answer. Unfortunately for us "waitlisters", no offers are being held. IP list hasn't move because no IP student have declined their offer or received approbation to a deferral request.

The next two weeks should be "interesting". If there is movement to be on the IP list, I suppose it shall occur before the June 15/16th (opinion based on the assumption that some admitted applicants will try to get back their 500$ before the deadline if they don't intend to go to McGill in the end).

Hey BiP,

I wish it was the case. I asked about that to McGill's med admission office and just received the answer. Unfortunately for us "waitlisters", no offers are being held. IP list hasn't move because no IP student have declined their offer or received approbation to a deferral request.

The next two weeks should be "interesting". If there is movement to be on the IP list, I suppose it shall occur before the June 15/16th (opinion based on the assumption that some admitted applicants will try to get back their 500$ before the deadline if they don't intend to go to McGill in the end).

So there goes that theory. I guess we'll just have to wait. I know two years ago the waitlist almost didn't move at all until mid-June.

Archived