Premed 101 Forums

For Them Waitlisters

So from my count, there's at least 11 of us active on this forum. 

Anyways, I figure since we're all in the same boat, we can pool information and update one another. I know its probably pointless since we can only really wait and hope, but I find it to be a good distraction.

Here's my contribution. This was from last years 'Wait list Party', but it looks promising for us. almost 1/2 the class of 2008/2009 declined their offers.

http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2013_ad_bk.pdf

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They accept more students than have spots, the number being based on previous years data of students who they accept and choose a different school. That being said there is still a solid number of people who get in off the waitlist (me included) so don't give up hope. It seems like the class fills up by the end of the first week of June though.

Chiming in. Does anyone know if Mac uses the "good/bad" waitlist system? Or is there no transparency between the two?

Good/bad? I think it's just a ranking list. They rank you based on "formula 2" 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning OR Critical Analysis and Reasoning Score (http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/selection_process.html)

Good luck all! I think I started the Waitlist party last year so I know it's the least fun you'll ever have at a party. 

As much as I know you guys won't take the advice, try to focus on something else and not think about it too much. I stressed every single day I spent on the waitlist and it made for a miserable few weeks. Just keep yourself occupied and hope for the best.

I don't know exactly how many initial offers were sent out, nor how many people have been waitlisted, but based on postings on this website, 10/32 applicants have said that they are very likely to turn down the mac offer. To err on the side of caution, I think a rough proportion of 0.25 of offered spots will be declined. Hence the number of available spots (by May 26) should be somewhere in the range of: 203- (Number of initial offers*.75)

If we make an assumption of 220 initial offers (again, lowballing), that would free up about 38 seats. Lets also not forget that some of the waitlisted students may have offers from other medical schools and may opt to go there instead.

With all that in mind, I would say that there will be about at least 40-50 offers made to students still on the waitlist at mac, in the first round at least. Keep in mind that most of my numbers are still just predictions/estimates and are intended for amusement/obsession rather than accurate accounting.

Once again, with no idea where on the waitlist we are at, its still completely guesswork at this point. Best of luck to all my waiting companions, and hopefully we can all avoid obsessing over it too much.

I also wanted to say that all of you wait listers are so kind and thoughtful in this year's threads (and last year's wait listers too). I wish you all the best of luck, and I'm really rooting for you guys! I'm wait listed too, and it's nice to see that I'm not alone in this. Thank you. I can't wait to hear all of the happy news from this year's wait listers! :)  

Good luck all! I think I started the Waitlist party last year so I know it's the least fun you'll ever have at a party. 

As much as I know you guys won't take the advice, try to focus on something else and not think about it too much. I stressed every single day I spent on the waitlist and it made for a miserable few weeks. Just keep yourself occupied and hope for the best.

Sarvish, thank you for your advice! It's definitely hard not to think about the wait list, but I'm going to try! :) Since you went through this last year, do you know by any chance when the first offers normally get sent out? Are there wait list offers sent out before the May 26th deadline to accept offers? 

Sarvish, thank you for your advice! It's definitely hard not to think about the wait list, but I'm going to try! :) Since you went through this last year, do you know by any chance when the first offers normally get sent out? Are there wait list offers sent out before the May 26th deadline to accept offers? 

Definitely a good chunk of them before the 2 week deadline. I got my offer 15 days after initial offers came out and I'm pretty sure it was the 4th or 5th wave of offers that had come out. IIRC, there was one day where 2 waves of offers came out and I think it was to help any people holding on until the last day to make a decision.

By waves, do you mean mass amounts of emails? 

Definitely a good chunk of them before the 2 week deadline. I got my offer 15 days after initial offers came out and I'm pretty sure it was the 4th or 5th wave of offers that had come out. IIRC, there was one day where 2 waves of offers came out and I think it was to help any people holding on until the last day to make a decision.

Archived