Premed 101 Forums

For Them Waitlisters

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so happy for all of the waitlisters who were given offers of admission the past few weeks. You guys are wonderful, and your offers are well-deserved. Good luck in the upcoming year! 

Me, on the other hand...I'm one of the waitlisters still waiting. :(

I feel like hope is mostly lost by now, since most offers would have gone out this week. Is it fair to mostly give up hope now, or will there be another wave of offers coming up? 

I'm so happy for all of the waitlisters who were given offers of admission the past few weeks. You guys are wonderful, and your offers are well-deserved. Good luck in the upcoming year! 

Me, on the other hand...I'm one of the waitlisters still waiting. :(

I feel like hope is mostly lost by now, since most offers would have gone out this week. Is it fair to mostly give up hope now, or will there be another wave of offers coming up? 

Definitely goes into early June. 

I would cautiously say that McMaster should dip deeper into the waitlist this year. This is anecdotal but I personally know a number of people who have chosen other schools over Mac this year off the top of my head 3 out of only 5 people I know with Mac offers. On top of that there seem to be plenty of people turning Mac down on pm101 this year. Only really Mac's waitlist has moved so much in Ontario on pm101. 

The waitlist is definitely going into June but the movement won't be as big as May 27th for sure. Last year 3 people got in, 2 on June 6 and 1 on June 12. I think about the same number of pm101ers will get in off the waitlist as well, so there is still hope! 

I would cautiously say that McMaster should dip deeper into the waitlist this year. This is anecdotal but I personally know a number of people who have chosen other schools over Mac this year off the top of my head 3 out of only 5 people I know with Mac offers. On top of that there seem to be plenty of people turning Mac down on pm101 this year. Only really Mac's waitlist has moved so much in Ontario on pm101. 

The waitlist is definitely going into June but the movement won't be as big as May 27th for sure. Last year 3 people got in, 2 on June 6 and 1 on June 12. I think about the same number of pm101ers will get in off the waitlist as well, so there is still hope! 

For some reason, it seems like some of the other Ontario school pm101 pages are dead compared to the McMaster one. Not sure why that is. 

Completely conjecture, but I feel like with the new way Toronto is interviewing people, there's a larger proportion who are getting in there as well as at Mac. I personally know 8 people who got both offers and ended up choosing Toronto. All of them 3rd years. Also Queen's becoming more desirable might also be leading to a lot of cross-offers. I wish OMSAS would track these and make the information available online.

offer this morning. will also be accepting.

I know it's super stressful, and this may not help but I was just keeping track of how many waitlist offers were made and when they were.

But it looks like they're going pretty deep into the waitlist based on forums so it's a good sign for those still waiting. =)

Date       Offers

21-May      3

26-May      2

27-May      8

28-May      3

29-May      2

01-Jun       2

No date declined   2

I also have been keeping track of users on the waitlist.

28 people stated they were on the waitlist.

5 accepted other offers (3 of which got off the waitlist first, but ultimately chose to decline the offer)

17 got off the waitlist 

6 remaining

As one of those 6 still waiting, it makes me feel terrible to see those numbers to be honest. Waitlist is moving a lot this year each day without an email feels like another rejection :( I want to get in! 

I also have been keeping track of users on the waitlist.

28 people stated they were on the waitlist.

5 accepted other offers (3 of which got off the waitlist first, but ultimately chose to decline the offer)

17 got off the waitlist 

6 remaining

As one of those 6 still waiting, it makes me feel terrible to see those numbers to be honest. Waitlist is moving a lot this year each day without an email feels like another rejection :( I want to get in! 

Hey Quokka, I know how tough it is to be on the waitlist and I'm not surprised that you compiled all those numbers (I know I would have!)  :P But you should remember that more people will post about getting off the waitlist than being on the waitlist so those numbers are definitely not representative of actual waitlist movement. McMaster seems to be going pretty deep into their waitlist so keep hoping for the best!

Good luck, I'm rooting for you to get in (especially since quokkas are just about the cutest animal on Earth)!  :D

I got an offer off the waitlist to Hamilton campus today at 9:42 AM! I think the waitlist may still be moving :)

Congrats, do you mind posting that on the main stickied Accepted/Waitlist page? That way future years will have a better statistic to work with. 

Anecdotally for some reason a lot of people turned down Mac this year. No clue why but people just have been. It pretty much shows if you look at other medical schools they just don't have nearly as much activity, it can't just be a bunch of new pm101ers who all just so happen to be on waitlist at Mac and not other schools. 

Got off the waitlist today (June 3) at 10:52 am! I will be accepting this offer. 

Stats: 3rd year UG, GPA: 3.95, VR 10, IP

Good luck to all the other waitlisters! Please don't give up hope!! No matter what happens, you all will be wonderful doctors someday! I believe in you guys -- you got this far! 

Congrats, do you mind posting that on the main stickied Accepted/Waitlist page? That way future years will have a better statistic to work with. 

Anecdotally for some reason a lot of people turned down Mac this year. No clue why but people just have been. It pretty much shows if you look at other medical schools they just don't have nearly as much activity, it can't just be a bunch of new pm101ers who all just so happen to be on waitlist at Mac and not other schools. 

Perhaps people are turned off by the CARMS match stats from this year for mac. 

I thought they matched above the average? 92%? I think it might be because of the 3 year program, some people might find it too rushed? 

Well 16 students went unmatched this year which is pretty bad. I think the 3 year program thing shouldn't affect people's decisions so dramatically from  year to year. 

Well 16 students went unmatched this year which is pretty bad. I think the 3 year program thing shouldn't affect people's decisions so dramatically from  year to year. 

Could be, but all the schools have a bad year from time to time.

Last year it was U of T with the most unmatched, and even this year Western had quite a few unmatched as well (12?)

However, I don't think people are so conscious of it, and if they are, then the variability will inevitably affect how each school does from time to time and can't be taken as an overall reflection.

That being said, it does seem like Mac's waitlist is moving more this year than in past years...and peoples choices themselves are highly variable. When the offer:seat ratio data used to be released, the trends would rarely be stable from year to year. Mac's yield was circa 65-70% though. So historically for mac, about 1/3 of the people in the class will be accepted off the waitlist, maybe even a bit more. We'll probably see the same thing this year - its part of the reason mac has good odds post-interview. The first wave of offers (202/554) would accept about 36% of interviewees, but I'd wager than another 100 offers are given off the waitlist to bring the overall acceptance rate to about 55% and the yield to the historical 67% that mac seems to get based on limited data. 

I doubt that people's opinions about mac's program have suddenly changed in this year and that this is playing a factor in what schools people pick. it could be that the next year mac's waitlist moves the least. there's no way of knowing and it is quite random - that's why schools don't release waitlist data. not predictable. 

In Mac's defense, for some reason last year a ton of people ranked anesthesia first (15?) and it was a fairly competitive year for anesthesia and resulted in quite a few of our unmatched. Every batch of students is different and I don't think a swing of a few percent should influence anyone's decision. No one would say that UofT was the worst med school last year because of their low match rate.

Am I doing my math wrong? People are saying Mac's match results were bad for this year, but when I look at the R-1 match results for 2015 that is posted, 187/203 students matched (16 unmatched)... which is still 92.1%, not that different from say Western (92.3%).

Archived