Premed 101 Forums

For Them Waitlisters

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone think the timestamp on the emails have any significance? Looking at the A/W/R thread it seems like waitlist emails were sent between 8:22-8:23 and going further back it looked like this was the case in previous years. In the past it looks like someone got off the waitlist much sooner (way before before the initial deadline) with the earliest timestamp versus those with later timestamps. I'm just speculating and could be wrong, it could be completely random but I don't think it's alphabetical as my last name is close to the end of the alphabet.

Does anyone think the timestamp on the emails have any significance? Looking at the A/W/R thread it seems like waitlist emails were sent between 8:22-8:23 and going further back it looked like this was the case in previous years. In the past it looks like someone got off the waitlist much sooner (way before before the initial deadline) with the earliest timestamp versus those with later timestamps. I'm just speculating and could be wrong, it could be completely random but I don't think it's alphabetical as my last name is close to the end of the alphabet.

This might be the case, but since almost every waitlist post in the thread had a time stamp of 8:22 AM, it doesn't really help much

Historically IIRC, the Mac waitlist moves quite a bit b/c a lot of people get accepted elsewhere in Ontario and choose to go there. I would just hang in there if I were you and try not to spend too much time on PM101 or checking your email until May 25th (which is when I would assume waitlist offers start going out but I don't know for sure).

I will be declining my offer to Hamilton campus pretty soon as well.

I hate to poop on this theory... but my phone (where I originally read my waitlist email) says 8:22, whereas my computer (which I used to make my waitlist post on the A/W/R thread) says 8:23. I guess we will never really know for sure! 

Lol. I don't think it means anything. My computer listed my time as 8:23, but the actual header of the email said 8:22. Best of luck to everyone!

Yeah, I was creeping some of last year's stats and found people who never made it off waitlist and received an earlier email, and people who were accepted off waitlist and actually received a later email. 

They definitely reject people.

I would imagine something like:

203 acceptances (+ maybe a few over their total seats?)

~150 waitlist

~200 rejection

All conjecture of course in lieu of any actual data

Looks like last year they went up to position 117 on the waitlist though, according to that AFMC statbook that's been floating around

I'm desperately waiting on the waitlist too but these numbers look too good to be true in my opinion. If they're aren't following ottawa and western in giving hopeless "bad" waitlists in lieu of outright rejections, I expect they would be very cautious when rejecting applicants. And to me, having only 30 waitlists for buffer would be too risky for med schools.

**of course this is my personal thoughts, and I myself have no facts to evidence this, not even through hearsay haha. I just don't like getting false hopes**

Or is there any sort of reason as to why you expect they would reject approx 200 people?

I'm desperately waiting on the waitlist too but these numbers look too good to be true in my opinion. If they're aren't following ottawa and western in giving hopeless "bad" waitlists in lieu of outright rejections, I expect they would be very cautious when rejecting applicants. And to me, having only 30 waitlists for buffer would be too risky for med schools.

**of course this is my personal thoughts, and I myself have no facts to evidence this, not even through hearsay haha. I just don't like getting false hopes**

Or is there any sort of reason as to why you expect they would reject approx 200 people?

Nope, pretty much all conjecture so take with a grain of salt

I think 117 was an exceptional year, previous years it looked like it was closer to ~70 - 80. So having a waitlist of much more than 150 (about double the expected movement) seems unusually cruel and unnecessary.

Does anyone know if accepting an offer outside of Ontario affects waitlists in Ontario? I have an offer from University of Saskatchewan that I need to reply to by May 30th, but I'm on the waitlist for Mac and hoping I'll hear back before then. I've heard the waitlist for Mac often goes into June, and was wondering if accepting my offer to UofS would take me off of Macs waitlist. I appreciate any help :)

Archived