Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
albertanmd

Paying Deposits To 2 Med Schools-U Of C And Ubc

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

 

I have a question about accepting more than one school to prolong the time to make a final decision. I'm an Albertan and was accepted to both UBC and U of C. Last week, I made a really difficult decision and chose to attend UBC, mainly based on the four year program and opportunity to live in Vancouver. I paid my $1000.00 deposit to UBC on Thursday. However, on Friday, after I paid my deposit, I got an email from U of C offering me a scholarship which would make a huge difference to the financial burden of med school. I haven't yet declined U of C and am feeling pressured to make a decision. Is it possible to pay both deposits at UBC and U of C and buy myself some more time?

Does anyone know if the med schools will revoke my acceptance or anything of the sort if I do temporarily accept both? It would be really helpful to have some extra time to think things over before making a final decision.

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

I have a question about accepting more than one school to prolong the time to make a final decision. I'm an Albertan and was accepted to both UBC and U of C. Last week, I made a really difficult decision and chose to attend UBC, mainly based on the four year program and opportunity to live in Vancouver. I paid my $1000.00 deposit to UBC on Thursday. However, on Friday, after I paid my deposit, I got an email from U of C offering me a scholarship which would make a huge difference to the financial burden of med school. I haven't yet declined U of C and am feeling pressured to make a decision. Is it possible to pay both deposits at UBC and U of C and buy myself some more time?

Does anyone know if the med schools will revoke my acceptance or anything of the sort if I do temporarily accept both? It would be really helpful to have some extra time to think things over before making a final decision.

Thanks so much!

 

as far as I know you can hold two acceptances at the same time. The price is you will lose your deposit at one of the schools of course. There isn't the the sort of interconnected checking that would preclude it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Immediately call UBC tomorrow, and explain your situation. It is still before the may 22nd deadline, so I would think they may* be forgiving and return your 1000$.

Even if not, then at least you will still be getting a scholarship at UofC (and a 3 year school!), so 1000$ lost to UBC is peanuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

I have a question about accepting more than one school to prolong the time to make a final decision. I'm an Albertan and was accepted to both UBC and U of C. Last week, I made a really difficult decision and chose to attend UBC, mainly based on the four year program and opportunity to live in Vancouver. I paid my $1000.00 deposit to UBC on Thursday. However, on Friday, after I paid my deposit, I got an email from U of C offering me a scholarship which would make a huge difference to the financial burden of med school. I haven't yet declined U of C and am feeling pressured to make a decision. Is it possible to pay both deposits at UBC and U of C and buy myself some more time?

Does anyone know if the med schools will revoke my acceptance or anything of the sort if I do temporarily accept both? It would be really helpful to have some extra time to think things over before making a final decision.

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure they are offering you money? I have also received an email on Fri from uofc about financial pamphlet in my offer tab, but as I understood i still have to apply for those bursaries and scholarships? I assumed they sent the same email to everyone, but maybe they did grant you a special scholarship. Good luck in your choice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the replies! LIL, yes I am sure they are offering me a scholarship, as I got an email with a specific award and offer but thank you for the concern. It could be bad to decline one school thinking that I had a scholarship when in fact I did not ha-ha!

 

Gohan, I do recall seeing that on the OAS website when I accepted. I'll give them a call and maybe they can make an exception or extend my timeline for a couple weeks. Crossing my fingers.

 

Thanks again everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the replies! LIL, yes I am sure they are offering me a scholarship, as I got an email with a specific award and offer but thank you for the concern. It could be bad to decline one school thinking that I had a scholarship when in fact I did not ha-ha!

 

Gohan, I do recall seeing that on the OAS website when I accepted. I'll give them a call and maybe they can make an exception or extend my timeline for a couple weeks. Crossing my fingers.

 

Thanks again everyone!

I would not expect them to give you an extension on timeline, that is up to you to make the necessary decisions in the alotted time. You've had 2 weeks to pros/cons of everything else - it is just this 1 extra matter of scholarship that is left to debate as it is a new development.  If it is important enough of a factor, then it will sway your decision and you should make said decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to say that you should be careful taking advice from people on this forum (even though it is a great resource and has helped me a ton), especially when an individual is waitlisted and trying to influence your decision. I'm just generally speaking, as I've seen it here and in Ontario school threads too. In the end, talk with your family/friends and decide which school you think is the best for you while considering other factors like city, tuition, scholarships, etc. Having said that, I am sure people who are waitlisted would appreciate a decision (one way or the other) sooner than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to say that you should be careful taking advice from people on this forum (even though it is a great resource and has helped me a ton), especially when an individual is waitlisted and trying to influence your decision. I'm just generally speaking, as I've seen it here and in Ontario school threads too. In the end, talk with your family/friends and decide which school you think is the best for you while considering other factors like city, tuition, scholarships, etc. Having said that, I am sure people who are waitlisted would appreciate a decision (one way or the other) sooner than later.

Great comment - be weary of people with less than 30 posts or account creations in the last few weeks - chances are, they are waitlisted at one of the schools and trying to throw in their 2 cents to sway you.

 

Do what you need to do for yourself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere I read that you can't accept two schools at once because the information gets circulated and they'll find out in two days (or something like that). I think it was in the UBC thread. Might be good to check with the schools because I doubt any of us are on the admissions committee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double check with UBC and U Of C to be on the safe side.

 

One thing you did agree /acknowledge on the UBC application was:

 

"I understand no student can simultaneously hold a position in more than one Canadian medical school. To that end, names of students who have accepted offers of admission are circulated to other Canadian medical schools."

 

I don't know when that information is circulated or what (if any) consequences for paying two deposits are but I'd play it safe and ask them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

I have a question about accepting more than one school to prolong the time to make a final decision. I'm an Albertan and was accepted to both UBC and U of C. Last week, I made a really difficult decision and chose to attend UBC, mainly based on the four year program and opportunity to live in Vancouver. I paid my $1000.00 deposit to UBC on Thursday. However, on Friday, after I paid my deposit, I got an email from U of C offering me a scholarship which would make a huge difference to the financial burden of med school. I haven't yet declined U of C and am feeling pressured to make a decision. Is it possible to pay both deposits at UBC and U of C and buy myself some more time?

Does anyone know if the med schools will revoke my acceptance or anything of the sort if I do temporarily accept both? It would be really helpful to have some extra time to think things over before making a final decision.

Thanks so much!

 

I am clearly waitlisted at UBC, but I will try to give you impartial advice. I was in a similar position to you when choosing which university to attend for my undergrad, 5 years ago; my choice was between a school, program and city that I'd had my heart set on for years and another top-ranked university with a full scholarship that I had never imagined myself attending. In the end, I chose the one with the scholarship, for several reasons: it helped significantly with the financial burden of university, which allowed me to pursue many incredible volunteer and travel experiences in my free time instead of being forced to work minimum-wage jobs to pay for school, and the prestige of the full scholarship undoubtedly heavily influenced many of the opportunities I've had since. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that having that scholarship on my CV and applications helped me land my UBC interview, got me accepted to multiple prestigious MPH programmes abroad, and helped me acquire competitive jobs. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change anything. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide, but that's my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×