Premed 101 Forums

Malaysian Medical Student Wanting To Work In Canada

Hi, i'm Jabraan and i'm new to the forums. I'm canadian born, and when i was young my family migrated to Malaysia. I'm currently studying medicine in Malaysia and I hope to someday return to Canada to serve as a doctor. 

However, I've read from many sources online that the job market for IMGs in Canada is very small and less than 10% of IMGs actually get matched to residency. I initially planned to take up MCCEE and MCCQE but I'm now very much discouraged to do so. 

My question is, if I take and complete USMLE and get into residency in the US(chances seem to be much higher). Would I then have better chances of getting licensed in Canada? Would I still need to take MCCEE and MCCQE? I've been digging around the web for some time now, but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Hi, i'm Jabraan and i'm new to the forums. I'm canadian born, and when i was young my family migrated to Malaysia. I'm currently studying medicine in Malaysia and I hope to someday return to Canada to serve as a doctor. 

However, I've read from many sources online that the job market for IMGs in Canada is very small and less than 10% of IMGs actually get matched to residency. I initially planned to take up MCCEE and MCCQE but I'm now very much discouraged to do so. 

My question is, if I take and complete USMLE and get into residency in the US(chances seem to be much higher). Would I then have better chances of getting licensed in Canada? Would I still need to take MCCEE and MCCQE? I've been digging around the web for some time now, but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated. 

You would likely have an easier time taking the USMLEs and doing a residency in the US, become fully licensed and then come to Canada after. Family Medicine will be the easiest route, though other specialties are possible..but with a bit more hoops to jump through.

It can't hurt to still take the MCCEE, NAC OSCE and still try to apply for CaRMS for Canadian residency slot- but your options are more likely in the US.  

Check out SDN for more information about US options. 

Ah okay, thanks for your help. I'm probably gonna go for the USMLE route. It's kinda sad isn't it, how a Canadian has to take exams from another country to serve that country just to get back to Canada. By the way i'm aiming for Orthopaedics. Seems like it's gonna be a tough road ahead. Haha.

Ah okay, thanks for your help. I'm probably gonna go for the USMLE route. It's kinda sad isn't it, how a Canadian has to take exams from another country to serve that country just to get back to Canada. By the way i'm aiming for Orthopaedics. Seems like it's gonna be a tough road ahead. Haha.

Well, thats how it is once you leave Canada for your education, not agreeing with it - but that's how it is.  

Definitely learn more about the NRMP process...you're going to need to get some US clinical exposure if you don't already have it. Ortho is already a tough field, but not impossible - someone has to be able to do it, may as well be you ;)

That will be tough. It might actually be just as easy to obtain an Ortho spot in Canada. Either way, you should write the MCCEE as well and the NAC OSCE and apply to Canada. There are 6 spots in Ortho for Canada. 

Ortho is just really competitive in the US, so its hard to really say if you'll match without amazing USMLE scores, don't settle for anything less than 250. 

• 1 year later...

Another thing to keep in mind is that getting qualified to work in Canada isn't the end of the fight. It's not easy to find a job as a qualified Canadian surgeon. Tons of Canadians (fully trained in Canada) are leaving for the US every year. Orthopedics has by far the worst job market right now. If you are going to the US, make sure you have a visa and a back-up plan that will allow you to stay there to work.

Archived