Premed 101 Forums

Advice Regarding Post Rejection Year

I received an interview at U of T this year and was unfortunately rejected. I am obviously very disappointed, especially since I felt the interview went very well. I was applying last year with a 3.95 wgpa, 10/9/13 MCAT, and very diverse ECs including about 100 hours of hospital shadowing, clinical research, 3 publications in clinical journals, 10+ years of music, 6 years of competitive hockey, a club executive postition and a TA position.

U of T was my only interview out of applications to McGIll, McMaster, Ottawa, and Queens (and obviously U of T)

Without sounding arrogant, i really felt my application was very strong, and I dont know what may have gone wrong. However in preparation for next years cycle, I want to do everything I can to improve it. 

One of my options is to pursue a 1 year masters. This was never my plan but I found something that I am interested in studying. However, i was also considering taking the year to volunteer ( something I think may have been lacking in my original application) and work. My stats have only improved this year, and I am hoping that I can now receive an interview at Ottawa (previously their weighting formula did not benefit me... now I am at about 3.95) 

My question is, does anybody think a 1 year masters starting in september is going to improve my application in any significant way??  

Does anybody think this can improve my chances for any of the schools I applied to? 

I received an interview at U of T this year and was unfortunately rejected. I am obviously very disappointed, especially since I felt the interview went very well. I was applying last year with a 3.95 wgpa, 10/9/13 MCAT, and very diverse ECs including about 100 hours of hospital shadowing, clinical research, 3 publications in clinical journals, 10+ years of music, 6 years of competitive hockey, a club executive postition and a TA position.

U of T was my only interview out of applications to McGIll, McMaster, Ottawa, and Queens (and obviously U of T)

Without sounding arrogant, i really felt my application was very strong, and I dont know what may have gone wrong. However in preparation for next years cycle, I want to do everything I can to improve it. 

One of my options is to pursue a 1 year masters. This was never my plan but I found something that I am interested in studying. However, i was also considering taking the year to volunteer ( something I think may have been lacking in my original application) and work. My stats have only improved this year, and I am hoping that I can now receive an interview at Ottawa (previously their weighting formula did not benefit me... now I am at about 3.95) 

My question is, does anybody think a 1 year masters starting in september is going to improve my application in any significant way??  

Does anybody think this can improve my chances for any of the schools I applied to? 

I don't think there's much benefit in taking a masters - your stats are already really strong (save for the VR score). If you enjoy research or the courses, then by all means take it - but you can just as well spend the time working and volunteering, doing things you enjoy to grow as an individual outside of academia. 

The most immediate thing you could do to broaden your horizons, is an MCAT retake - and upping the CARs. Perhaps looking into other Canadian MD schools that may take a look at your application? I gather VR keeps you out of calgary and edmonton? UBC may be an option, if you're ECs are as strong as you think they are (a lot of luck involved here).

Since the application cycle is coming up soon again, anything you do over the next year would help, only if you have to re-apply for a 3rd time. (assumption that this is your 1st cycle). So your masters and etc would not help in your upcoming application for Sept 2016.  It would potentially help for Sept 2017 though. 

Med school interviews are crazy, I got accepted the year I thought I bombed my interview (3rd freakin time doing this horrible process)

I know a lot of people say having a masters won't help; but I think it might. The only difference in my application this year was that I had entered a different professional program (Law). Maybe the admissions committee looks favourably upon people who pursue higher education (it must gain you some points I feel; especially at U of T which is so research based).

Either way, stay busy and next year you should most likely get interviews at other OMSAS schools. Chin up 

If you look at their unsuccessful applicants slideshow, they reject on a multitude of things. References can be huge, it'll show people rejected for having 2 strong ones, and one weak one, etc. SO perhaps maybe that aspect, and the interview could have dealt the blow? This is why medical school here is so darn difficult, one little thing can mess the whole thing it seems sometimes.

As someone who got into medicine on their third application cycle, I'm pretty well versed in med school rejection coping mechanisms. You're right, your application does look strong, but, as with everything, I'm sure it could always be stronger. One thing I did during each cycle is continue to work on my application. That meant fluffing out my weaknesses with every chance I got.

I agree with what's been said, a master's isn't necessary for someone with your GPA and research experience. Only do a master's if you truly love it, not just to get into med school. I truly believe that work, volunteer, and clinical experience hold more value in med school admissions than research does past a certain baseline level. Those items also hold more value in the real world.

You're on the right track by identifying that volunteering is a weakness for you. I would suggest finding a volunteer position that would help give your application more depth. Maybe try volunteering at a palliative care centre, a homeless shelter, a crisis line, or a rehab clinic? Anything that shows you can handle being a source of support for people that are truly in need.

Also, although I'm very comfortable with public speaking and am typically a strong interviewer, med school interviews are on a whole other level. What I think really made the difference for me this year (other than my app), is the amount of Skype interview prep I did with strangers I found on this forum. Getting objective advice from people you don't know and getting extensive practice in will make you an even more impressive candidate come interview day.

Those are my two cents! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions :)

I appreciate all the replies! My main "concern" right now is making sure I get to interview at U of T again. Does anyone have an idea how likely it is to not receive a second interview (given that no part of an application has been weakened)? Obviously the applicant pool changes ever year, and there is no way to fully know but are there any stats on this? 

I think that has equally as much to do with who is reviewing your application as it does with the applicant pool. There are just many applicants and although I don't have any experience on the other side of the fence yet, I would think reviewer influence can play just as much a role in getting interviews several years in a row.

However, you seem like a strong pre-interview applicant and I'm sure you won't have any issue getting another interview again. I would spend most time as others have suggested, doing things that interest you and practicing your interview skills.

Archived