Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance Chance With 3.93 Wgpa?

Hello all!

Just wondering what the chances of an acceptance would be for one with a 3.93 wGPA whom applied and received an interview?

Is 3.93 wGPA on the lower end of the spectrum after the interview stage or is still possible to receive an acceptance?!

Thank you!

Unfortunately if you are on the waitlist with such a low GPA, you probably are not in a good place considering Ottawa's unique way of ranking post interview.  But you never know.  Consider reapplying next year!  I did, and got in almost everywhere this time around.

Canada MD path = lottery. Seriously. 4.0s don't get interviews at all sometimes. 3.6s get in somewhere due to some outstanding experience.

Fact is there are tons of applicants (nearly every science undergrad) for very few seats. Try a couple times. Then go abroad. No point asking "is this good enough?". Nobody knows. I've seen weird things happen. I've seen friends successfully attend international schools and come back to Canada or actually choose to stay in Europe for the lifestyle. Not the end of the world :) Good luck!!

Nothing else to say really. I understand these acceptance chance posts but really no one knows but the adcoms.

Unfortunately if you are on the waitlist with such a low GPA, you probably are not in a good place considering Ottawa's unique way of ranking post interview.  But you never know.  Consider reapplying next year!  I did, and got in almost everywhere this time around.

a wGPA of 3.93 being low.  :lol:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

:(

lol "such a low gpa"...alright.

lol "such a low gpa"...alright.

Not to start a flame war but uwopremed is..how do I put this nicely? Too precise? Too blunt? The type of applicant that thinks the only thing which predicts the excellence of a physician is a 4.0 GPA in undergrad? I've come across some of his posts in the past and he's just been rude, negative and discouraging to others. 

To OP. A 3.93 wGPA is very good. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I have had friends get accepted to medical schools with 3.3-3.8 GPA's, average MCAT scores and the like. I've met successful applicants who majored in things such as philosophy, psychology and history and have made it in. I even know of a person who has never taken a science course in their undergrad yet have been accepted to McMaster's medical school. Don't ever let anyone discourage you from pursuing your goals. Getting into medical school depends not just on GPA, but MCAT, the autobiographical sketch, MMI, interview, extracurriculars and volunteer service, many things. It's not just about GPA, but the whole package. 

That being said, Ottawa doesn't require the MCAT so they do look heavily at GPA, but check out the accepted/rejected thread. Plenty of people with 3.9's. Anyway, be sure to apply to many different schools across the country, best of luck to you. 

Not to start a flame war but uwopremed is..how do I put this nicely? Too precise? Too blunt? The type of applicant that thinks the only thing which predicts the excellence of a physician is a 4.0 GPA in undergrad? I've come across some of his posts in the past and he's just been rude, negative and discouraging to others.

To OP. A 3.93 wGPA is very good. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I have had friends get accepted to medical schools with 3.3-3.8 GPA's, average MCAT scores and the like. I've met successful applicants who majored in things such as philosophy, psychology and history and have made it in. I even know of a person who has never taken a science course in their undergrad yet have been accepted to McMaster's medical school. Don't ever let anyone discourage you from pursuing your goals. Getting into medical school depends not just on GPA, but MCAT, the autobiographical sketch, MMI, interview, extracurriculars and volunteer service, many things. It's not just about GPA, but the whole package.

That being said, Ottawa doesn't require the MCAT so they do look heavily at GPA, but check out the accepted/rejected thread. Plenty of people with 3.9's. Anyway, be sure to apply to many different schools across the country, best of luck to you.

it wasn't fully clear from the post, but I wonder if uwopremed meant that 3.93 is typically on the low side for Ottawa anglophone interviewees, which seems to be true based on the accepted thread? Rather than low in the absolute sense. Idk.

I hope everyone realizes that 3.93 is low FOR A WAITLIST chance because of the unique way Ottawa ranks their applicants.   DO people not read my post?

If you interview at Ottawa, they rank you based on your interview.  I believe it is out of 5 or something.  Then people get scores of 4 or 3 or so forth (might be 4.5, then 4, then 3.5).  Irrespective, people are admitted based on their interview score only.  Tie breakers are GPA.  As SO many of those interviewed have WGPAs of 4.0 at Ottawa, a wGPA of 3.93, for a waitlisted person, is generally very bad news.

Let us presume that all the 5s and 4.5s and 4s get in, and maybe a couple of 3.5s.  Then if you are on the waitlist, you have a 3.5, and the tie breakers are only GPA.  A 3.93, for Ottawa english, is in fact very low.  Even though many 3.93s with stronger interviews already got in.

The above is illustrative - i don' know the exact score ranges from the interview, other than there the score is generally a 'rounded' number as opposed to a score like 94.6 -  in other words tons of people are tied with the exact same interview score for each level.

Yup! Within minutes 3 of us got off the wait list with GPAs of 3.91-3.93. Just kill the interview!;) there are many people on this forum who will make you feel discouraged, keep your blinders on and do your own thing!! Is 3.93 low compared to 4.0 yes of course, but it's enough to get you in. Being on the wait list of course you want a higher GPA but you also need a higher interview score otherwise that high GPA doesn't necessarily help you. The answer, as always, is it depends! You won't know unless you try. So just try your best! Reality is people with 4.0 will be rejected and people with 3.9 will be rejected...others will be accepted. No one on this forum can tell you that you will or won't get in. Keep your head down, work your butt off, and believe in yourself.

It's funny how some people think 3.92 or so is a low GPA, yet for american med schools, or just other programs other than medicine, it is almost god tier. I refuse to be convinced anything around a 3.9 is low, no matter what med schools think. It take some damn hard work and determination to get to that, good job to Belle and slumdog on getting accepted, I wish you the best! #endrant.

OK, I'm thinking uwopremed has been misunderstood here. Firstly, I think their point is specifically about Ottawa. If you've been interviewed at Ottawa Anglo stream, from out of Ottawa, you probably have a GPA between 3.91-4.0, because GPA is a big consideration in their process. It's also possible that the median is on the high side of that range (speculation).

Post-interview, the consensus is that you're ranked in terms of interview scores in increments of 0.5, on a 4.0 scale, plus your GPA, out of a total of 8.

Since 0.5 is a bigger jump than any differences between GPAs (ie. no one has a GPA lower than 3.5), everyone with a given interview score can be considered to be in a ranking group. (ie those who got a 4.0 interview could range from 8.0 to 7.91 total score, and those with a 3.5 interview could range from 7.5-7.41; inevitably the lowest-GPA 4.0-interviewee will be ranked higher than the highest-GPA 3.5-interviewee).

So as they go down the list of ranked scores, GPA will not determine an acceptance/rejection until the list reaches an "interview group" that has more applicants than there are remaining seats in the class (for the sake of argument, 3.0-interview). Say there are 100 applicants with a 3.0 interview and only 50 seats left. At this point, having a higher GPA is a huge advantage, and if you have a lower GPA in this group, the chances that they will reach your name are smaller.

If the range of 3.91-4.0 is correct, then 3.93 is near the bottom of interviewees (applicants who are still being considered for admission).

Of course, by chance they may just barely reach the end of the 3.0 group, and in that case, if you're in the 3.0 group, your GPA doesn't matter. Also, maybe a preponderance of interviewees have GPAs on the low end (3.91-3.93) of the range, in which case a 3.93 may be above the median. There are too many unknown variables to say for sure. I think uwopremed is just making an educated guess that 3.93-or-lower is not too common for interviewees based on stats posted on the forum this year and in the past.

Once again, this is Ottawa-specific, due to their unique focus on GPA. Remember, they don't have an MCAT requirement so this is all they have to rank your academic ability! Other schools in Canada and the USA focus on other things, which one could argue are more or less important than GPA, and GPAs further from 4.0 are up for consideration.

Let me know if I've got it wrong!

Hey thanks guys for all the responses - that helps a lot snacks, so thank you for taking your time to post such a detailed response.

Just seems like the stronger I perform in the interview stage the more likely it is that I will secure a spot (common sense I know), so I will take all the advice from this and just work hard and be confident in myself when I (hopefully) reach that interview stage!

Thanks everyone!

Archived