Premed 101 Forums

What Do You Love About Edmonton?

my friends  :lol:

Having lived in 4 provinces and many cities, there is very little to enjoy about the city of Edmonton unfortunately lol. Horrible weather, it is more of a conservative area compared to a lot of places in Canada and reminds me of my time living in a small/rural community. IMO it also doesn't feel like a big city. So if you like smaller areas then you may enjoy it. I find the LRT system to be very efficient and useful. I didn't mind the U of A (nice campus imo) but for me the city was a big meh.

Actually the one good thing is the lack of hipsters outside of university  :D

my friends  :lol:

Having lived in 4 provinces and many cities, there is very little to enjoy about the city of Edmonton unfortunately lol. Horrible weather, it is more of a conservative area compared to a lot of places in Canada and reminds me of my time living in a small/rural community. IMO it also doesn't feel like a big city. So if you like smaller areas then you may enjoy it. I find the LRT system to be very efficient and useful. I didn't mind the U of A (nice campus imo) but for me the city was a big meh.

Actually the one good thing is the lack of hipsters outside of university  :D

We had great weather this past winter. Much, much warmer than Ontario but then again, it may be an outlier. Alberta weather changes pretty quickly. I also think the facilities at U of A (and campus overall) are one of the better ones in the country. I have seen U of C, UBC and U of T, and I have to say that U of A does not lack much in anything. Our health sciences area/buildings are beautiful. We have decent LRT coverage that stops right next to the two biggest hospitals, U of A and Royal Alex and connects north side to south side. Whyte Avenue is a good place for students to hang out too! The city is expanding big time, and in about 5 years, with the development in downtown, it will be high on people's list for cities to live in.

It's definitely no Vancouver when it comes to nature/food diversity, or Toronto with tall financial buildings, but having lived here for a long time, I think it's a decent place to live.... just avoid the 118th avenue and some sketchy areas in downtown.  :D

While I'm definitely happy to see McDavid go to Edmonton, a great player alone doesn't win games. He needs people to play with and the team needs depth. While acquiring young talent is certainly a good start, it likely won't result in any immediate improvement. Building a team back up takes time and Edmonton needs more help than a number 1 draft pick to do that at this point. 

If he's the equivalent of Crosby, then you need to remember that the Pens were 30th place in his first season. It wasn't until further changes and Malkin came that they improved. Is it possible that the Oilers did the reverse with RNH, Hall, Yakupov and now have McDavid? Yes. Do I think that is enough to push them into playoffs? Don't know. Too many variables and not sure how chemistry will play out or how McDavid will do at NHL level just yet. At least it'll be exciting to watch. 

Is close to Calgary really a benefit?

Was mostly a joke, but if you are seriously asking, it actually is quite a benefit. Having another major city that is only a brainless 2.5 hour drive away is quite nice. You can easily get out to events in Calgary like the stampede, concerts, Flames games, etc., or go skiing in Banff on weekends.

Archived