Premed 101 Forums

Rewrite Mcat Or Not

Hey guys, so I got rejected by the UofM again this year. This was my second application and second post-interview rejection. My MCAT composite score is 10.75

Regarding the interview, I prepared a lot for the second time. And I really thought I did well on the interview. But I suspect it was my downfall this year.

Do you guys recommend if I should rewrite the MCAT? With the new 2015 MCAT, I am not sure how competitive my score will be for the next cycle. Any advice would be appreciated.

I, as well, was rejected with a composite score of 10.75. I felt better about Mmi this time around, but it appeared to have been my downfall in my application.

The way I see it, it doesn't hurt to write the new MCAT if medicine is something you really want to be in. The worst that can happen is you using your old score. Like the op, I am also seeking some advice as we are both in very similar situations.

Looking at the trend over the last couple of years, the average MCAT of those accepted into UofM has increased. Add to that the new 2015 MCAT, there's a lot of uncertainty.

Does anyone know how UofM will be comparing the new MCAT to the old one?

I know several friends who got in this year with MCAT scores that were less than yours. I think your score is competitive enough as it is and you probably really want to work on your interview for the next cycle. The new MCAT should be weighted the same (ie. looking at the percentiles) but I'm thinking if it were to be between 2 candidates 1 with the old score and the other with the new score they might give preference to the new MCAT (just a thought). 

I have heard if you write the new MCAT they will use your new score regardless if it's lower. Definitely something to look into as you may not want to risk it considering you have a competitive score now.

I am pretty sure for UofM, they are still taking the highest score. 

After failed my first cycle with two interviews in Ontario, I did

1. Applied USMD, got accepted as international student

2. Applied to Western Canada, got accepted as OOP

same GPA, same MCAT, same ECs, the only different is, while applied last cycle, I did

1. join Toastermaster, really help my speaking and interview skills

2. a part time job, really help me at social skills and body language

3. volunteering at hospital, keep me motivated why I'm doing these things

Although you can get in with a 10.75 you need to have a really good interview. I was rejected 3 times with a 10.75 and was told that I scored avg on the interview (I also didn't have rural attributes). So unless your super confident in being able to increase your interview score it can't hurt to rewrite if they take your highest MCAT score.

Archived