Premed 101 Forums

Usmd Chances - Poor Mcat Score

Hi everyone, first time poster and long time lurker. First off, a little about myself.

Graduated a double major bio-medical science at UWO in '14. Just finished an 8 month term at Brigham Women's Hospital in Boston doing research in the laboratory of nanoparticles and biomaterials (currently one publication pending).

Created a nonprofit website in '10 that has generated over $20k for homeless children over the globe.
Shadowed two doctors while in the united states (Anesthesiologist and Orthopedic Surgeon).

Volunteered two years at a local soup kitchen.
Travelled to South America for a community outreach program ('13).
Created a local nonprofit that distributes supplies to homeless shelters.

MCAT (2013): 12/8/10
GPA (converted to AMCAS): 3.98

As you can see, my weak EC's and MCAT are really holding me back at the moment. I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether to apply or write the new MCAT. Would I have a chance at the lower-tier USMD's?

Thank you so much.

P.S. Asian male from the GTA with no religious affiliations 

''weak EC's'' lol

Ridiculous how medical school applicants can be hard on themselves

Re-do the MCAT in my opinion, to give yourself a chance here. Your other option is to go to the US (no idea of your chances) - I think spending one more year working on your EC's and studying for that MCAT will be beneficial in terms of applying to Canadian schools

''weak EC's'' lol

Ridiculous how medical school applicants can be hard on themselves

Re-do the MCAT in my opinion, to give yourself a chance here. Your other option is to go to the US (no idea of your chances) - I think spending one more year working on your EC's and studying for that MCAT will be beneficial in terms of applying to Canadian schools

Thanks for your response.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I just viewed my EC's as weak as I haven't had any hospital volunteering on my application.

I was thinking about taking the New MCAT too. Do you think medical schools in canada or US will look at my time away from school negatively? (if i apply next cycle, I will have been out of school for 3 years prior to matriculation). 

Don't worry about ''hospital'' or ''medical'' experience for EC's. I myself had 0 research, 0 school club participation, and barely a short volunteering experience back in like 2010 prior to being accepted this year. I did other things that I enjoyed and that I found relevant during my UG.

Hum, I don't think three years away from school would lower your chances, if you've kept busy during that time (like your Boston experience, pretty solid). Be sure to keep busy! :D

I mean, with 3.98 gpa, you should eventually get accepted somewhere in Canada I think, if you get a sharper MCAT score!

Your profile really isn't that bad at all. You have a competitive GPA, a 30 MCAT on your first try and a solid footing with your ECs. I would say if you took just one more year, you would have a good chance at Canadian applications. My advice would be to take another year, study for the new MCAT and spend extra time volunteering with easy ECs that pique your interest. For example, youth tutoring, coaching sports of interest, hospital volunteering, any sort of activities that you would be interested in. Many of these activities require one shift a week for a few hours, which is simple. You will also have a year to turn them into relatively long-term commitments.

My knowledge on US med schools is very limited, I'm posting on the assumption that Canada is a consideration for you as well. Sorry if I misunderstood your post! All the best to you. :) 

It seems that a better MCAT score is what most of you are hinting at. I will spend this summer working on my MCAT and taking a year to beef up the clinical volunteering as well as other interests. 

Again, thanks everyone for your input. It was very much appreciated. 

It seems that a better MCAT score is what most of you are hinting at. I will spend this summer working on my MCAT and taking a year to beef up the clinical volunteering as well as other interests. 

Again, thanks everyone for your input. It was very much appreciated. 

A better (and balanced) MCAT score can make a huge difference for someone like you. Right now you are batting for low tier schools. A 34/35-ish type MCAT (on the new MCAT) with your GPA and solid ECs (great work at BWH) will have you knocking on the doorstep of top tier schools.

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for pushing me to re-write my MCAT. 

With the score that I achieved, I was able to receive acceptances at UofT and McMaster! Cannot believe how much my life has changed in a mere 10 months..  My sincerest thanks to all of you :)

Archived